Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Second Body

Hi to all,
I'm a proud owner of a k-3 and good pentax lens (I will never change them), but I have to travel for work and sometimes I can't take my pentax gear with me, I was thinking to buy a second body, what is your suggest? My budget is around 500€, I was interested in the LX100 or in the em-10 mark ii, but I really don't know this camera.
Can you help?
Thanks

09-16-2017, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am 57 and I could do with a second body too. The years have taken their toll.
09-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theborg Quote
Hi to all,
I'm a proud owner of a k-3 and good pentax lens (I will never change them), but I have to travel for work and sometimes I can't take my pentax gear with me, I was thinking to buy a second body, what is your suggest? My budget is around 500€, I was interested in the LX100 or in the em-10 mark ii, but I really don't know this camera.
Can you help?
Thanks
I cant comment on the LX100 but as far as the em-10 mark its really nice and compact. I have the em-5 ii which is essentially the same camera except for the fact that the em10 ii does not have any weather sealing or the high res mode, or a few other live modes. So with that in mind, I was able to make a few A3 prints that turned out really well that I proudly display on the wall. Also if you decided to go with that camera and the pany 12-32(kit lens) you can have a really small pocketable camera. I use this as my back up camera/ travel camera on the road. I liked the EVF on the Olympus models a little bit more, It had pretty decent clarity, and although subjective I favored the Olympus ergonomics. in any way you decide, Good luck on your quest. Also have you also looked into the pentax Q models? Ive seen some of the pictures on those and look nice. although there is no VF it might be something that you are use to menu wise and also is a small package.
09-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi to all,
Can you help?
Thanks
The Sony RX100 would be my pick for travel shots. It's a high-performance all-in-one package

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
It's all downhill from there. I remember when I was 57, just young man with a dream.
I was still playing competitive baseball with 20 year olds, I could still hit a softball 300 feet over a fence, I could still serve a tennis ball 100 miles per hour, I didn't have any replacement parts and wasn't missing any of the flesh and bone parts of my body.... none of those are true now.
09-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's all downhill from there. I remember when I was 57, just young man with a dream.
I was still playing competitive baseball with 20 year olds, I could still hit a softball 300 feet over a fence, I could still serve a tennis ball 100 miles per hour, I didn't have any replacement parts and wasn't missing any of the flesh and bone parts of my body.... none of those are true now.
So it all changes drastically at 58 ?
09-16-2017, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I'm only 39.

09-17-2017, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

No, it is going to change drastically at 65 which for me arrives later this year. Retirement! It will feel, at least for a while, like being young again.
09-17-2017, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
No, it is going to change drastically at 65 which for me arrives later this year. Retirement! It will feel, at least for a while, like being young again.
I am so happy I retired at 57. I actually got to live a little, before I got old, even if my pension took a hit.

At 60, I could still paddle a canoe 40kms a day if needed. Now I have difficulty doing 10 km. This getting old is totally depressing.

However it's still better than the alternative.
The funny thing is, you just scale it back. I get as much joy out of paddling 10 as i used to get out of paddling 40. I don't hike as far, but i take just as menu photos along the way. I just walk less and take more photos. Used to walk to accomplish something. Like "this trail is 15 km lets do it." Now I go up the back side of the trail to get to the awesome lookout, and when I have enough images I come home. I don't need to walk 15 km just because the trail is 15 km.

You learn to adjust.

Last edited by normhead; 09-17-2017 at 08:45 AM.
09-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I was interested in the LX100 or in the em-10 mark ii, but I really don't know this camera.
I know neither, but I sure have eyeballed both, along with a few others. There are some really good articles about good but high performing travel cameras. These two are well regarded, and in addition the Sony a6000/6300/6500 get really good reviews also. I also find that the full Pentax gear is sometimes a bit bulky (and they are really compact for this class of camera!).

I am also looking and contemplating a second body, for travel. I am very happy with using the Pentax gears, however, but backpacking and transporting is another issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well almost! I am 60. Honestly, for me there seemed to not be a lot of difference between 25 and 55. I was always reasonably active. But the difference between 55 and 60 has been remarkable, even with good care and exercise.
09-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I could do with a second body too. The years have taken their toll
It's not a second body I need... it's a new one.

Back to cameras... I aways use bodies in matched pairs, it makes their usage seamless in operation.