Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #16
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would think testing at greater shutter speed would be interesting--as regards SR on or off. At 1/2 second the motion is large enough (on the monopod) that it should overwhelm any SR feedback effects. As a guess, I think something in the area of 1/15s and 1/60s, and a long FL lens (to see the effects at the faster speeds) would be such a test.

09-24-2017, 03:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

You can test an infinite number of parameters here. My small travel tripod needs SR to work with A*600mm on K1 for shortest extension of legs. Extend the legs and you get no sharp image at all. Big tripod does not mind SR on/off. In this setup the lens mounting causes most of the trouble. Mirror slap and vibration inside K1 become visible with extremely solid tripod and perfect setup.
SR works quite well on tripods for me. Be aware that things can go wrong and switch SR on/off in certain situations or make tests with you equipment, lens, tripod, camera, ball head, ...
09-24-2017, 03:25 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tigs Quote
I received the monopod today and did some tests with the K-70 and DA 50-300 WR
The goal was to see which combination produced less shaky images.

Shutter speed was set to half a second and focal length set to 300mm.

Conclusions:
- SR definitely helps reduce motion blur while used with a monopod.
- The camera automatically disables SR while panning and automatically enables SR when the monopod is more stable.
- The less to the most shaky technique based of 10 pictures (each technique) of the same subject:
1. Monopod, SR on
2. Hand held, SR on
3. Monopod, SR off
4. Hand held, SR off

The difference between using a monopod vs hand held is not very big but the results were still clear.

I imagine the effect of using a monopod would be more significant on a long day of shooting and with heavier lens and camera.
can you confirm what camera you were using when testing?

any body got any thoughts about whether such results would be transferable to another camera body

I have a K 3 and K 5 II and do not know what type of SR systems are in either camera

I have used the K 3 and K 5 II with the D FA 150 - 450 mm hand held trusting the SR to help and it does

I have used the K 3 with the D FA 150 - 450 mm and the D FA *70 - 200 mm F 2.8 hand held trusting the SR to help and it does
09-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
can you confirm what camera you were using when testing?

any body got any thoughts about whether such results would be transferable to another camera body

I have a K 3 and K 5 II and do not know what type of SR systems are in either camera

I have used the K 3 and K 5 II with the D FA 150 - 450 mm hand held trusting the SR to help and it does

I have used the K 3 with the D FA 150 - 450 mm and the D FA *70 - 200 mm F 2.8 hand held trusting the SR to help and it does

Hi Aslyfox, as mentioned it on my post, I used a K-70.
An easy way to know if you'd get the same results is to get a monopod (they come at a fraction of the cost of your lenses ) and test.

On my test I found that the biggest reason for shake on a monopod (with my setup anyway) was unwanted panning movement - the monopod acts like an axis. I think that a way to counter this would be to increase friction between the bottom of the monopod and the ground. On grass I expect I will get sharper images than on the polished decking of my house.

09-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
There is likely a problem when the camera is connected to any rather stiff restraint. I believe the following describes the scenario. The camera tries to correct for very minor motion and then the camera being held in a stiff restraint reacts (vibrates due to internal motion, mirror, shutter, and the SR itself, as well as the stiff restraint) and the SR tries to correct for the correction--it is a feedback loop that can rapidly grow in size.

When held in our hand, they are soft enough that the small/rapid motion is absorbed by the soft flesh, and anyway the small/rapid motion is much smaller in amplitude than the slower actual (gross) camera motion--which the SR detects and corrects for.

So, no I would not use the SR when using a monopod, or anyway not w/o testing it first--it may depend on the construction of the monopod (or tripod), and thus what kinds of vibrations are set up.
I'm with dms.

A change in the stiffness of the mount will upset the dynamics of the SR control system and will likely lead to ringing as the control loop becomes unstable.

Control theory - Wikipedia