Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #16
Forum Member

This may sound too simple, but how about putting a wide rubber band over the lens/body junction after mounting the lens? If the band is slightly smaller than the diameter of the lens, and appx, 3/8" wide, it should be snug enough to provide a bit of "sealing" and still make it easy enough to change lenses, without any permanent modifications or damage to the camera.
Just my .02 worth,
John

Last edited by jselph; 08-24-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
08-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Has anyone heard of or performed DIY lens sealing? I was looking at the DA* lenses, and basically the weathersealing they have as far as the mount is an o-ring that seems to press against the exposed metal.

I'm thinking of putting a thin ring of silicone glue or similar soft substance around the metal ring on the camera body, in effect emulating the o-ring.

Has anyone ever tried this? I know this doesn't make the lens itself sealed, but at least it's less likely for water or dust to get immediate access to the camera body this way.
A couple of points to consider

1) silicone glue usually emmits acetic acid when it cures, and I am not sure you want anything corrosive near the camera internals.

2) any material between the lens mount and camera body may push the lens forward and away from the camera body, impacting infinity focus

3) silicones are banned in many applications because they go every where and cause all sorts of problems, I would not want anything emitted from the glue condensing, for example on the sensor, or on the lense elements and causing image problems
08-25-2008, 05:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I thought about the thin o-ring, but then there's the problem of how to get it to stick to the mount. Glue is out of the question, and without cutting it in half (which would be very difficult), there isn't enough surface area to use adhesive. I just need to find a place that sells either flat rubber rings (washers?) or pieces of rubber that I can then cut.
Get a rubber o-ring hat has a slightly smaller diameter than the base of the flange on the lens (the "corner" on the mount that rests again the camera body). By mounting the lens on the camera, the o-ring should be compressed slightly and do its thing.
08-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jselph Quote
This may sound too simple, but how about putting a wide rubber band over the lens/body junction after mounting the lens? If the band is slightly smaller than the diameter of the lens, and appx, 3/8" wide, it should be snug enough to provide a bit of "sealing" and still make it easy enough to change lenses, without any permanent modifications or damage to the camera.
I actually do this when using the a camera and lens rain cover.

Thank you
Russell

08-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but don't o-rings usually sit in their own little channel which allows much of the material displacement (call it "squishing") to fill the channel rather than being forced to spread out into the gap between two adjoining faces?

In other words....is there enough "play" between the camera side and the lens side to allow for some extra material to be squished in there? And if not, what possible repercussions are there from the extra forces being constantly applied to the mount while the material is in there?
08-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but don't o-rings usually sit in their own little channel which allows much of the material displacement (call it "squishing") to fill the channel rather than being forced to spread out into the gap between two adjoining faces?

In other words....is there enough "play" between the camera side and the lens side to allow for some extra material to be squished in there? And if not, what possible repercussions are there from the extra forces being constantly applied to the mount while the material is in there?
You are right, but that's "usually". What I mean is that when you design a device that will sport a o-ring, you should place it in a small groove so that it stays in place and does its job.

But you can still add a o-ring to a device that has no grovve. It's even easier when your device has a right-angle corner in which to squeeze the o-ring. Just a lens's mount.

So it could work, very easily.
08-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Has anyone heard of or performed DIY lens sealing? I was looking at the DA* lenses, and basically the weathersealing they have as far as the mount is an o-ring that seems to press against the exposed metal.
not true, i remember reading somewhere about the DA17-70mm. it has an o-ring but it is not considered fully sealed. there are actually a few points of sealing on the lens on the lens body
08-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

If you had a dry ( unlubricated ) O ring on the lens mount interface the twisting motion would cause friction and rubber particles would begin to break off the O ring.

I'd use a snug fitting O ring on the outside though, and roll it back onto the lens before I removed it.
The problem with this though, is that some lenses have serations to provide grip when the lens is twisted off. But it might be another barrier to keep the wet out?

08-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lots of interesting ideas here, which is exactly what I was looking for. I like the ideas of just slipping an o-ring on without mounting it, and slipping one on to cover the crack after mounting. The latter is probably easier.

Again, I know this doesn't seal the lens itself, but it's better than nothing. Of course, I could just use the rain cover as suggested, but I'm looking at situations with light rain and trying to avoid extra cumbersomeness.