Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A great camera doesn't stop being a great camera when a new model comes out.
Well, maybe your definition of 'great' changes when a new model comes out.

The value proposition changes when new models provide new and improved capabilities (better high-ISO, improved auto-focus, better SR) or makes tradeoffs to fit a given price point (single SD slot, smaller buffer, lower FPS). K-3ii was a great camera, but now that the KP and K-1 have been introduced, your purchasing options have changed, and maybe it is no longer the best option for your needs.

That's where a lot of the K-3/K-3ii audience is right now. And this is just about the right time for Ricoh to introduce a successor.

09-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
this is just about the right time for Ricoh to introduce a successor.
Anytime is a good time for that because its becoming rare!
09-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Same boat here. Waiting for K-3II replacement. I played with a Pentax K-1, K-70, & a KP at ビックカメラ( Bic Camera) in Nagoya.

The K-1 is very solid feeling, but quite hefty. The KP feels slightly heavier than the K-50, but feels kinda funky with that removable grip. The K-70 feels similar tp the K-50, but lacks the "pro" build. No K-3II to play with. Makes me wonder....
09-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The biggest thing holding me back from upgrading from my k-30 to the KP is the likely prospect of a higher spec aps-c camera to replace the K-3ii. Just wish there was something more concrete out there beyond "yeah it's probably coming".

I have no real desire to get rid of my current aps-c lens set; they're light, affordable, and offer great IQ and rendering/pixie dust that I like.

09-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The biggest thing holding me back from upgrading from my k-30 to the KP is the likely prospect of a higher spec aps-c camera
Its likely to have same sensor as KP,but faster fps,bigger buffer and dual card slots...maybe a video surprise too?Will likely come in at U$13/1400ish???Pricing will be tricky because to sell it en masse,its got to compete with slightly used K-1s.
09-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-"4" will not "replace" the KP. These are 2 different body styles here. The KP is neither a K-50 nor a K-3 style. It is a unique and new concept. I love both styles now that I have the both the KP and the K-5 II s, which is in the K-3 style, with deeper buffer, longer-lasting battery, etc.. This style is a bit more bulky with a top LCD and offers more dedicated on-body controls for extra-quick operational changes. The KP is a close 2nd in that regard in a more svelte body, which is still of pro-type metal construction, with a control set catering to the advanced and professional user. The KP is very high-quality in build and performance with any fine lens, but its feel and its performance with a Limited lens mounted is very special, quality-wise.

The K-50 and successive K-70 are in a class below, but still very good cameras. I have the K-S2 in that class, which is also a nice little camera that I use for casual circumstances and extra-light carrying. It is very capable, however, for serious work as well.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-21-2017 at 12:09 AM.
09-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I won't try to steer you away from what you want since you seem to know what you want. How frustrating is that? No, I'll just tell you no there is no public news or rumors at the moment.
There is at least, the quote from a french website tester (but not mentionning his sources) saying while testing the KP :
"Le Pentax KP — P pour "Premium", paraît-il, ou "Partage", puisque le WiFi b/g/n est de la partie — arrivera en boutique fin février 2017. Il cohabitera pendant six mois avec le K-3 II avant que celui-ci ne prenne sa retraite et soit remplacé."

( The Pentax KP will be in stores in February and will cohabit with the K3ii during 6 monthes before being replaced)

So this is about the time, I believe Pentax announce the new models more often on thursdays, could be today, or next week.

09-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Everything's quiet on the Pentax front. There is a heap of lenses due for 2017 release; they better get moving soon. The timing of the K3 upgrade is anyone's guess. Might they even release it with the long-awaited new DA lenses?
09-21-2017, 12:54 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
this is about the time
Don't believe "information" from a single source, especially when it's a "website tester".

A new APS-C flagship will come, but not in the following weeks. We'd have leaks if that rumor was true.
09-21-2017, 01:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinMoss Quote
The thing is that I don´t want to spend a thousand dollars on a camera that might get replaced next year
Get a K3-ii second hand, you can find them for 500 to 800$.

Besides your fear to miss the new product, what is holding you back from getting a k3ii ? What feature do you miss ? What need would the k3ii answer to you ? THAT are the real good question, not why do you want the latest and greatest besides the fact that it is the latest ?
09-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Everything's quiet on the Pentax front
Yes, its the calm before the storm...We will get hit from all directions.
09-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You didn't say why you needed to upgrade. I understand where you are coming from about not wanting to buy the K-3 II if the replacement may be released within a couple of months. Also why pay a $1000 for the KP which is in my opinion not a better value (Are there enough essential features to justify the higher price) than the K-3 II or even the k-70. Personally if you need to upgrade look for a used K-5 IIS($400), K-3($500) or K-70(New $600) and wait for the K-3 II replacement. Also purchasing a used K-3 or K-70 will give you time to save for a K-1 and provide a few of the K-1's features.
09-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinMoss Quote
I was thinking in investing on a KP, but i don´t feel confident enough, I´ll better wait for a K-3iii or a K-1 The thing is that I don´t want to spend a thousand dollars on a camera that might get replaced next year I don´t like the KP that much even though the ISO is amazing, I feel that the K-3ii has a lot more specs to offer and is more versatile
I fully understand as I'm in the same situation now. I sold my K3 to finance the K1. But the K1 is not quite as good as the K3 for wildlife and image resolution with fast burst rate (crop mode). I could purchase a KP is KP isn't up to K3 in terms of ruggedness and burst rate. I'd purchase a K3 second hand, but instead of spending the money now and spending again the money for the new Pentax apsc flagship, I'm waiting for the new model , new model that doesn't seem to come. So, if it doesn't come before spring either I'd have to be more patient or eventually sell my DFA150-450 and buy a D500 and 500mm lens. Now , if I buy a D500 and 500mm prime, I may also sell my DFA15-30 and get a Samy 20mm prime for use with K1. I'd still use the K1 for landscape, portraits and nightscape, and use Nikon for the rest. That said, if I go Nikon, as I don't like to have to use two different menu systems, I may endup selling the rest of the Pentax gear and buy a D850 with a set of Tmaron G2 lenses as they basically are the same or better as the current Pentax DFA versions. So, if there is not much show by Pentax this year and early 2018, that will mean nothing release for more than a year, considering the Nikon route will be a reasonable option for the future.
09-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #29
Forum Member

Still loving the K3

I'm lucky and have two K3 bodies, one the prestige edition. I think the K3 is still a darned good camera and I got mine when it was first released. B and H seem to have a good deal on a K3 II with a battery grip. I use my K1 for most photography but I still drag around the K3 which is either attached to the 150-450 or the 300 and 1.4 TC.

Tim
09-21-2017, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

To the original poster : what is acking in the current crop of APS-C cameras, that you would like to see improved on a future APS-C body?

You can always wait and see, but I'm always an advocate of "go out and take pictures". If the K-50 doesn't work for you anymore, then pick up the current camera body that interests you and use that.