Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2017, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Clear Plastic Body

Hello, this is my first post so please forgive me if this is in the wrong group.

Yesterday I acquired a Pentax K200D camera body with a battery grip from a local pawn shop. Whats unique about this camera is that it is not black, it is clear plastic so you can see all the electronics on the inside. I have searched all over the net and have not found anything about this. Also, the camera is in debugging mode and has only 377 Shutter Actuation's. My question is, has anyone ever seen a body like this before and how hard is it to get the camera out of debugging mode? Is it possible this might be a developers camera?

I have posted a few photos and again, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading,

Mark

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL T3i  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
09-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great find. Is it possible you somehow got a unit built just for the trade shows? A demo unit that was never sold to the public. I wonder if you just tried updating the firmware if this would kick it out of the debug mode?

Last edited by Belnan; 09-21-2017 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Added comment
09-21-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

That is cool.
09-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So pretty. They should make special editions that are transparent instead of faux-silver.

09-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
thank you for the replies! Yes Belnan, I was able to update the firmware but unfortunately it remained in debugging mode.
09-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice find! Clear-case versions of products are quite rare and are typically made only for trade-shows and retail displays. I'm sure some collector would love to have it.

I would avoid trying to upgrade the firmware. The hardware in that unit might be not-quite identical to production hardware. Trying to load modern firmware could brick the device which would surely lower it's value to a collector.

Have fun!
09-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate all the quick replies

09-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
So pretty. They should make special editions that are transparent instead of faux-silver.
There may be some practical reason for not producing such an item for general use (as opposed to promotional/novelty), such as clear plastic is not as durable, impact resistant, etc.
09-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #9

You should be able to disable the debug mode with PKTether. The K200 is supported.

PK_Tether – Tethering software for Pentax DSLR |

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
There may be some practical reason for not producing such an item for general use (as opposed to promotional/novelty), such as clear plastic is not as durable, impact resistant, etc.
As I recall most polycarbonate plastics are normally clear and the color is added. So the case could be made of the same polycarbonate as the black bodies.
09-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you Not a Number, the PK_Tether worked great and removed the debugging mode. THANK YOU!
09-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
I'm so jealous! That thing is awesome!!! Killer find! That would look soooo nice in my "old Pentax stuff" display case!!!!!!!
09-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
The practical reason for not producing a clear bodied camera is pretty obvious. The body is one giant light leak flooding the sensor with uncontrolled stray light from all directions. That is unless the internal light box portion of the camera is left opaque.
09-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I totally agree.

I wouldnt mind clear colors as well. Or even frosted or smoked.
09-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
The practical reason for not producing a clear bodied camera is pretty obvious. The body is one giant light leak flooding the sensor with uncontrolled stray light from all directions. That is unless the internal light box portion of the camera is left opaque.
Apparently the model in question works as a camera.
09-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax regularly displays clear models at trade shows, so this is definitely a nice find! Not something that would have been made available to the public.

Based on the lens on there, I'd guess a collector either needed the cash, or it was sold as part of an estate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: