Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your M50/2.0 will be fine for starters. Catch in focus is a useful technique as Uncle Vanya has mentioned. You will also need to become familiar with stop down metering using the green button on the camera body. You should also enable the recognition of the lens' aperture ring in the camera's menu system. Ideally, a lens from the A series or later will allow full use of the camera's shooting modes, and the F series or later will also allow auto focus.

09-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #17

Original Poster
After additional reading, and researching, and reading again, I think I have a plan. Although I have a few questions that feedback would be helpful on prior to deciding.

I came across a used K-3 in E+ condition-body, battery and charger for about $540 (Thinking this and updated lenses Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE and Pentax smc DA 50mm f/1.8)

other options would be:
a used K-3II for $699
a new K-3II with battery grip for about $850
a new KP for $999

Generally speaking, I prefer the K-3 over the K-3II for the price and the K-3's built in flash
The KP does have some features that seem better, especially a much higher ISO (51,000 vs 819,000)

The only other features that seem better to me personally on the KP vs K-3 are:
Prime 4 vs Prime 3 processor
Stabilization shift SR II vs Stabilization shift SR
Super Resolution vs no
I'm not sure how much a difference either of these make

What I prefer about the K-3 over the KP:
max shutter speed 1/8000 sec vs 1/6000 sec
Shutter life of 200,000 vs 100,000
8.3 frames/sec vs 7 frames/sec (I use this feature a lot on my K-r)
Top LCD vs no top LCD (I don't currently have one, but can see how it would be useful)
2 card slots vs 1
720 photos vs 420 photo battery life

After listing these out, it now seems like a no brainer to me. This lower priced used model would also allow for updated lenses now as opposed to later.
09-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a friend who says the 60-250 is the PERFECT soccer lens for a soccer dad with sideline access. I would have expected it to be a little slow focusing but he didn't find that to be a problem. f/4 constant aperture was enough for him to get good shots with the K3. But that's an expensive animal.
09-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chovest Quote
After additional reading, and researching, and reading again, I think I have a plan. Although I have a few questions that feedback would be helpful on prior to deciding. . . . .

my primary camera is a K 3, I don't use flash but like the idea of having one available.

I purchased the accessory GPS unit just in case I need to pinpoint the location of the photo but I don't use it much

Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I also chose to get the battery grips for the K 3

Pentax Battery Grip D-BG5 for K-3 / K-3 II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

so I like the idea of the K 3

on the lens

do you need the " latest and brightest "

I like my DA L 55 - 300 SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

as opposed to the more expensive and more advanced HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

Read more at: Pentax DA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

if you can live with the older one, you will save $ to spend on other items

perhaps enough to stretch the budget and look at the DA 16 - 85 mm

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-16-85mm-f35-56-ed-dc-wr.html

a lens I really recommend if you can find one you can afford

I like my DA 50mm 1.8 as well

be sure to check the market place when looking for options

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-28-2017 at 01:28 PM.
09-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I think a K3II or K3 is a fine choice indeed. However regarding a lens, personally I had the “less expensive” 55-300 DA HD non-PLM and I am OK with its focusing performance. It is NOT a low light monster if I was on a budget (obviously I threw that out the window for my gear) I would throw the extra 150 for a new body or more glass like a 50 DA SMC great value for the money.

If budget isn’t important I highly recommended the 70-200 DFA HD I recently got, after a little micro focus adjustment on my K3II it was great and good out of the box on my KP. That is a fast focusing lens and a low light monster. On crop if gives a usable 100-300mm FOV. It is heavy so you will need to hold it by the tripod foot mount on tripod.

BTW for low light the KP can’t be beat and not having the 1/8000 shutter isn’t a deal breaker for me.

Good luck!
09-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chovest Quote
What I prefer about the K-3 over the KP:
Don't forget high ISO performance. I owned the K3 and loved it. However, it was not that great past ISO 800. From what I have seen on comparisons on dpreview target test, the KP is in par with my K1 which is fantastic so much so that I can shoot ISO 6400 all day. If you do any kind of low light shooting, that is a biggies. The other plus for KP is video. I do occasional video clips and the KP is the better camera for that by far.

You have your pros and cons pretty well laid out. I am just pointing out a couple of difference that may or may not be important to you.
10-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #22

Original Poster
A big thank you to everyone for your input and suggestions! I ended up finding a used K-3 with the 18-135 lens for a reasonable price through a reputable seller. It should be here today! I can't wait to give it a try. I hope to add the Pentax smc DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens for portraits, and either the Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens or Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens soon. I prefer the faster and quiter auto focus of the first, but the second working with my K-r as well as my K-3 is a plus, not too mention the smaller price tag! Although Amazon says that it works with my K-r. Limited functionality? Or incorrect information? Anyone know for certain?

In the meantime, I have been shooting in RAW and playing around with post processing in DxO. I can't believe the difference it makes! It helped a lot with the noise and some with the loss of contrast and color in low light. I think the resolution limitations of my K-r are the biggest factor limiting my results. I'm excited to try the K-3 for the volleyball games tomorrow with it's DA 18-135/3.5-5.6 WR lens.

On a side note, I regret not learning how to make my old M50/2.0 lens work on my K-r sooner. I loved the results; however, having young (active) children, I definitely need an auto-focus prime for portraits. I was lucky enough to catch a honey bee in flight (and in focus) with it though.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
10-02-2017, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome outcome! I have a pair of K-3's and the 18-135 and love that combo. The K-3 isn't the low light monster that the KP is but we are all a bit greedy compared to where we were with just film. 400 was fast for color and 800 was about as high as most color shots went before film declined. I think we have an embarrassment of riches compared to where we were only 20-30 years ago. Enjoy the lens. If you want a DA 55-300 several people have them and sell them from time to time. It will work on the K-r just fine. The PLM version only works on much newer cameras the K-3 with the updated firmware is one of those. See here, make sure you have v1.30 installed if you are using that lens on a K-3.