Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Worth waiting for the K-3II Successor?

Hi All, I'm going travelling in November this year & need to have a new camera body by then as my K-30 needs to be replaced. Do you reckon that there is a possibility that Pentax will release a successor to the K3II by then? If yes then I will wait until the beginning of November. If not then I will get the KP.

Note that the KP would be best suited for me from the current lineup as its low light performance is a major advantage for me.

Cheers,
Ducky

09-27-2017, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think that if there was a K-3 II replacement in the wings, we would hear about it by now, to meet an on-sale date of November.

Sounds like KP and a spare battery time to me. My 2 cents, worth about as much.
09-27-2017, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a recurring question and nobody has a faint idea when this is going to happen.
As for November 2017 ... I wouldn't bet on that.
If you cannot wait, the KP seems to be a reasonable option for you.
09-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks both. KP it is

09-27-2017, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
Thanks both. KP it is
BTW, here is some more info which answers some of your questions:
Upgrading to a K-70 from a K-30: is it worth ? - PentaxForums.com as some have mentioned the KP in that thread as well.
09-27-2017, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The K-3II replacement will probably happen sometime in October. If not, you'd be looking at spring, summer, or fall of next year. Could be a possibility of waiting more time too.

You never know what's going on at Pentax. They are pretty silent about any camera developments & probably have a really strong non-disclosure agreement with their vendors & anyone else that has insider info. Even rumor sites don't have anything until a couple of days before a camera release.

I'm also waiting for the K-3II replacement, but I'll keep shooting my K-50 in the meanwhile.
09-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Difficult task...

I would think that upgrading a magnificent camera like the K3ii would take a LOT of doing. There's a few features I would like to see, and I would love for all the autofocus whining to finally stop (not likely), but as their cameras get better and better it must be increasingly difficult to upgrade a camera like this and still meet the amazing price point that it's at. So I wish them well on the K3iis, or will it be a K2? Long live APSC! And I think (30 years after the intro of the 43 limited) it would be nice to see and ALUMINUM BODIED RETRO CAMERA shaped lie the iconic 64 Spotmatic. They'd sell billion of them if they'd just listen to me.

I do think it's time for the Limiteds to go WR and possibly get a silent focus motor. And a Limited 135 F2.8 would be nice, as well. Or an pair of 8-20 and 40-125 DA Limited zooms. But I know I'm dreaming.

Cheers,
Cameron

09-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #8

yes, I am sure its worth waiting.
Looking at the price of the KP, I would say RICOH is playing daredevil, will demand a few hundred bucks more for the next flagship, but therefore the AUTOFOCUS problems may be gone for good.

And besides my humble self, I am pretty sure there are loads of other pentaxians who would appreciate that, even if they would moan in agony first, when they look at the price...
afterwards, all of them will tap each others shoulders...
T'was the same with the full frame... Not so long ago, you would have been bashed, if you would have stated loud and clearly, that PENTAX should do a full frame camera...

Now everybody seems to be a proud full frame owner... And dont you ever say something bad about the golden calf.

But honestly, looking at all we get offered now, I would be willing to pay the same amount of money,
I would have to pay for a Nikon D500 IN AN INSTANT,
if i would gain its autofocus and burst capabilities on
Pentax mount.

All the other pentaxians, that may beef around about the price when it hits the market, should keep in mind,
. what they normally try to counter when it comes to the usual AF discussion:
. You are happy the way it is!

Yes! You are happy the way it is, so why should you upgrade to a pricier option? No one forces you to do so.

Let people who are willing to pay for upgrades and more service, pay for it, and keep the stuff you like soo much.

Keep your K-5IIs, keep your K20D, enjoy FullHD video not even at real 60p(just look at the bitrate at 30p... ridi...)
and let others who are willing to pay for performance, have a worthy D500 competitor. THANK YOU!
09-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #9

Alternately, you can get a K-70 for a fraction of the price of a KP. Its low light performance is not quite as good as the KP, but you're getting a lot of camera for the price, and it is a significant upgrade from the K-30. Then when the new camera comes out you have several options. You can sell the K-70 and get the new camera, or keep the K-70 as a backup body, or if you're happy with the K-70 just stick with it and save yourself a lot of money.
09-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am also waiting for the K3 II replacement. In meantime there is a K200D and a K-x to tide me over.

I might not even get a K3 III (or whatever it is called). Such a beast would probably drive the used market down and there might be some bargains to be had. Or there would be great closing out specials. We will see.
09-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If your willing to go with the KP instead of waiting. Why not go with the K-70 and save about $400. Then buy the new flagship when released.
09-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
Forum Member

Well if you buy what's on sale now its a sure thing that Pentax will announce a new model :-) However the K3 and K3II are still great cameras and B and H has a good deal on at the moment with a K3II and battery grip.
09-28-2017, 02:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

You could consider hiring a camera? Try SRS in Watford.
09-28-2017, 03:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes, I believe the K-3 III (or whatever name it will bear) is worth waiting for. That is, if you can wait at least 6 months.
It's a leap of faith, as I know nothing about the next APS-C flagship - except that Ricoh Imaging said they'll make one. But, after all those years I sort of know Pentax, what kind of cameras they're making.

About the next part, we have some more information - or rather, lack of information which is information itself. No leaks means no "K-3 III" this year. Sorry.
Maybe we'll find out more at CP+, or at the beginning of the next FY. OTOH, the more ambitious the project, the longer it will take.
09-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #15

In all honesty, I hope Ricoh comes out with a mirrorless system. The buzz right now in the industry is APS-C/35mm sized, retro mirrorless cameras. Compact, discreet and made for lightweight packing and carrying.

The next K3 should be a mirrorless camera. It would at least justify the huge lump of money they will surely ask of its customers. At the very least, a $1299 price tag would not surprise me.