Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2017, 04:29 AM   #16
Pentaxian

If everyone would be doing only mirrorless cameras, who would serve the DSLR buying majority?

10-03-2017, 03:54 PM - 4 Likes   #17

If guys in Ricoh/Pentax still have some sanity, that even brief look at the market clearly shows, that K3/K3II successor is now about two years behind expected schedule. They also need to realize the age of DA* sudden death motor lenses and do complete overhaul of that line to keep this system competitive.

K3II is in fact still K3 just with that horribly swapped GPS instead of flash and some mainly software-based features.

FF battle was joined without proper weapons (lenses) and K-1s are no more selling like first 3-5 months. APS-C market is the traditional source of profit in large numbers. K70 is great, KP is just overpriced retro camera and K3II still in place is a shame. We used to have great bodies like K10/K20/K5 that went beyond what competitors offered, but now K3II is obsolete and still not replaced.
10-04-2017, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

^ Hopefully they deliver something with more excellence & win than what a lot of Pentax users are expecting.
10-05-2017, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
K3II is in fact still K3 just with that horribly swapped GPS instead of flash and some mainly software-based features.
I have pondered this one myself. Yes, that GPS is wonderful but I don't see myself using it. Astrophotography is not something I have ever tried. Living in a big city wit lots and lots of light pollution works against that idea for me. As for GPS co-ordinates inside my pictures, meh. My memory is still good enough that I can remember where I was when I took a particular shot. Giving up the built-in flash for all of the above makes the K3 II something I have to think long and hard about.

One does get a whole lot of K3 II pixel shift goodness in return, but is it worth it? Wonderful for very static landscapes, taken with a tripod, but for what else? I am still trying to come up with an answer to that one.

10-05-2017, 04:02 AM   #20

I also cant see necessity for GPS in a flagship DSLR.
(despite that, the O-GPS1 works like a charm. And I am pretty sure, with a bit of engineering, RICOH could make a GPS adapter that allows you to use the pop-up flash.)
10-06-2017, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
35mm lenses are coming that is a certain, cameras they come one at a time, I'm thinking now we might even see a 645 replacement before we see a K-3 II replacement next year maybe April
10-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Especially as coming from a K-30, I think the decision for the KP is a marvelous one! It will be a significant upgrade in every respect- pro-style body-build and controls, IQ, AF, low-light/high ISO, advanced features like in-camera RAW development saved as TIFF, and much more.

10-07-2017, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me, the K-70 is the current "smart" choice.

The next APS-c flagship should address tracking AF, a faster FPS with tracking turned on, and have the K-70 and K-Ps low light performance.
There are no indications Pentax is working on any of those things, although the low light performance is a given, having already been released on the K-70 and K-P.

If they improved those things, I might consider the new camera. But I'm getting what i want with a K-3, so that's not a certainty. My current practice K-1 for low light, K-3 for burst rate, works just fine.
10-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #24

Many people seem to rule out KP as a K3 successor. But don't judge on specs or reviews. Every KP owner will confirm this: KP is a really big performer in image quality, especially when paired with Limited lenses.
10-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotgering Quote
Many people seem to rule out KP as a K3 successor. But don't judge on specs or reviews. Every KP owner will confirm this: KP is a really big performer in image quality, especially when paired with Limited lenses.
Yup, exactly. As a KP owner this is all true does a great job with Limiteds but DA * stuff too.
10-08-2017, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Yup, exactly. As a KP owner this is all true does a great job with Limiteds but DA * stuff too.
What's in the K-3 that's not in the KP, battery and buffer. The 6 shot buffer int eh K-1 is completely inadequate. There are times when the 23 shot buffer is inadequate. Just for that reason, the K-P will never be a K-3 replacement for some of us. Unfortunately the K-P is pricey, meaning the K-3 successor is likely to be even more so, if in fact Pentax hasn't abandoned the effort to produce a high FPS camera that isn't slowed down when tracking is turned on.

Having been able to sell K-1 and 645z cameras without spending the big bucks to improve the AF, it's a question as to whether Pentax has just abandoned improving AF altogether. The supplementary processor was introduced for low light performance, no supplementary processors to help with AF have been introduced however. For those of us who's life is made easier by a high frame rate and accurate tracking from time to time, things are looking pretty bleak, at least in terms of expecting there to be a camera coming out I'd actually buy.

I'm just expecting my K-3 to carry me into the future based on what I'm seeing.

Last edited by normhead; 10-22-2017 at 05:29 AM.
10-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the KP would be an awesome camera if I lived somewhere where I was walking out on the street more and wanted to take it with for street photog walks. DA21, maybe a 40XS or 43Ltd, and that would be an awesome kit.

I'm not sure who else it's really oriented at. But then I think about the Pentax sales in Japan and maybe this is a way to get those folks something new to be excited about.

I really hope they have a new body to convince me to spend more than I probably should on a serious body that replaces the K-3's. The KP just isn't quite it.
10-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Historically Pentax has incorporated much of the next generation K-mount technology in a new 645x release, then introduced a flagship APSc K-mount camera shortly thereafter.

The KP is a great enthusiast camera but it isn’t a flagship.
10-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Although it wouldn't be everything everyone here is looking for, I think if Pentax took a K3 and did nothing but update the sensor, processing power, and software, added a movable LCD, and slapped III on it, enough people would buy it to make it worth a production run. The highest cost part of that would probably be the LCD - if they skipped that they might still sell enough to get a payback and more importantly, keep APS fans from jumping ship for another couple of years.
10-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

What is needed is what is probably coming. A K-3/K-5 style body with the deeper buffer and longer lasting battery and full array of on-body controls, for those who habitually use larger lenses and do quite a bit of burst shooting. It should surpass the K-3, and be in line with the KPs superior low light/higher ISO/low noise performance, metering, and AF improvement. There will be a 4 camera lineup- the K-70, KP, K-4, and K-1. The numbering makes no sense, but the cameras do.