Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe I'm funny but I'd take a K-5's sensor resolution, or at least a reduction from the K-3's, if it helped further boost hi-ISO performance. 16 to 20 mpixel resolution with low light another stop/degree/notch/etc past the KP would be really nice.

I think I'm on the fringe side of a number of things I want in my next camera and lenses I am interested in purchasing.

10-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #32
Pentaxian

^ Same here. I'm probably one of the few that would be willing to take a 20MP sensor over a 24MP or higher sensor as well, if it meant that the AF performance would increase substantially & high ISO photos look better than the KP.

As it is, I have no issues with the 16MP Sony sensor in my K-50 that pumps out 12bit RAW files. A newer 20MP Sony sensor with 14bit RAW files would probably give a bit more fine detail & have better noise control too.
10-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Serious wireless connectivity built into the body and matching applications that run on iOS and Android, and can deal with both RAW and jpegs, would be nice.

Basically I want a melding of the KP, K-5 II, and a bunch of little updates to get folks more options for mobile workflow if they so choose.
10-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Maybe I'm funny but I'd take a K-5's sensor resolution, or at least a reduction from the K-3's, if it helped further boost hi-ISO performance. 16 to 20 mpixel resolution with low light another stop/degree/notch/etc past the KP would be really nice.

I think I'm on the fringe side of a number of things I want in my next camera and lenses I am interested in purchasing.
In other words you want K-1 high ISO performance in an APS-c camera. You would think it would be possible, if you cut a K-1 sensor in half you should have the same DR and high ISO performance. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

10-18-2017, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Same here. I'm probably one of the few that would be willing to take a 20MP sensor over a 24MP or higher sensor as well, if it meant that the AF performance would increase substantially & high ISO photos look better than the KP.
That's a point, but I think that speed processing technologies have advanced enough in the last few years to have more fps, more buffer, better AF, and still keep 24Mp - which I find to be a useful pixel density for macro - the K-1 is the landscape camera, the APS-C flagship should be the action camera - it's a natural fit - and 24 Mp allows more cropping
10-18-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Uhh... something's wrong here - the KP gets you amazing high ISO photos, on the "how on Earth did they do that?" level. If you think it's not good enough, the lens cap is on.
10-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish we could ask an engineer that works on Pentax products like the K-1 or KP and see if he thought a resolution reduction would help much or not.

I'm not saying the KP isn't excellent. I'm just fine with further blowing minds.

10-18-2017, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #38

The KP is a good camera if not having an identity crisis at times with it's accelerator processor. When it did work right it took images that had better depth and sharpness than the K-3 or K-1 in either FF or aps-c modes. The KP at least for me kind of feels like a public Beta test of what is possible for the future.
10-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
When it did work right it took images that had better depth and sharpness than the K-3 or K-1 in either FF or aps-c modes.
And when it didn't work right? How does a camera not work right?
10-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
The KP is a good camera if not having an identity crisis at times with it's accelerator processor. When it did work right it took images that had better depth and sharpness than the K-3 or K-1 in either FF or aps-c modes. The KP at least for me kind of feels like a public Beta test of what is possible for the future.
It seems to me Pentax has done that before, for instance K-01 / K-30 (if you’re willing to ignore the design issues of the K-01). KP is a more compelling design - in some ways a sublime throwback to the AP - but I wonder what will happen when the initial planned production run is completed.
10-19-2017, 01:27 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It seems to me Pentax has done that before
I always thought that the K-3ii was mainly there to trial a few features for the K-1 - actually I still do, but there is a delay in its successor that makes it look more like a considered upgrade.
10-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I always thought that the K-3ii was mainly there to trial a few features for the K-1 - actually I still do, but there is a delay in its successor that makes it look more like a considered upgrade.
Since 2010 a new body design has come out every 3 years. The there is the "II" upgrade which uses the a few tweaks to the old body.... but the K-3 successes isn't due out until next year, based on previous releases.
10-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Since 2010 a new body design has come out every 3 years. The there is the "II" upgrade which uses the a few tweaks to the old body.... but the K-3 successes isn't due out until next year, based on previous releases
it depends how you count it - if we're talking totally new body design as opposed to tweaks, it's already 4 years since the K-3 was announced
10-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
it depends how you count it - if we're talking totally new body design as opposed to tweaks, it's already 4 years since the K-3 was announced
I preordered my K-3 and my first image is Nov. 2014. Not quite 3 years ago.
10-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I preordered my K-3 and my first image is Nov. 2014. Not quite 3 years ago.
Well, let's hope the successor doesn't take a year between being announced (which it hasn't yet been) and arriving in our hot little hands!