Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
it depends how you count it - if we're talking totally new body design as opposed to tweaks, it's already 4 years since the K-3 was announced
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I preordered my K-3 and my first image is Nov. 2014. Not quite 3 years ago.
I received my K-3 Dec. 20, 2013. It was announced in early October 2013.

10-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Well, let's hope the successor doesn't take a year between being announced (which it hasn't yet been) and arriving in our hot little hands!
Unfortunately, the 645z jumping in ahead of schedule and pushing the FF back a year, may have also pushed the K-3 upgrade aback a year. All we can do is wait and see.
10-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #48

Normhead there are at times with subject like tree leaves with in general the all the same contrast where the KP will randomly put in noise patterns in the place of details. You can move a little to one side or another and the problem goes away, at least most times. You can't see anything wrong even in LV when framing the shot. It's not a huge problem if you can retake the shot but some times i got 3 or more in a row the noise patterns changing for each exposure. My K-3, K-1 and even my K200d don't do this. I found myself doing more Chimping with the KP but other than that i have no complaints with the KP and many people have bought one on my recommendation and are very happy with theirs.

Ok i have large hands so big grip model KP.
10-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Normhead there are at times with subject like tree leaves with in general the all the same contrast where the KP will randomly put in noise patterns in the place of details. You can move a little to one side or another and the problem goes away, at least most times. You can't see anything wrong even in LV when framing the shot. It's not a huge problem if you can retake the shot but some times i got 3 or more in a row the noise patterns changing for each exposure. My K-3, K-1 and even my K200d don't do this. I found myself doing more Chimping with the KP but other than that i have no complaints with the KP and many people have bought one on my recommendation and are very happy with theirs.

That would be a huge problem with my bird images.... and our landscapes. A very high percentage of our image, there is no opportunity for retakes.

10-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #50

I should also mention that those random KP noise patterns look like they are on a top layer much like layers in photoshop of using a pen to autograph film photograph.

BTW how does one edit a post?
10-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Noise patterns? And their blurring of details? That's a new one to me. Maybe a totally new glitch. I haven't noticed any abnormality with my KP, other than it on rare occasion will overexpose a subject in backlit shots, overcompensating for the backlighting. With a number of Pentax DSLR cameras, I believe also with the KP, some test reviewers have noticed a tendency for smearing of details, which clears up when through the custom Image menu, sharpening is set to "F" (Fine sharpening). I discovered this myself some years ago, and I now automatically do this with any model.

Editing your post should be easy- just use the Edit Message tab provided underneath your posted message, just for you, then hit "Save". I just added this sentence.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-19-2017 at 12:00 PM.
10-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I should also mention that those random KP noise patterns look like they are on a top layer much like layers in photoshop of using a pen to autograph film photograph.

BTW how does one edit a post?
Click on the Edit Message button.

I wonder if this is something specific to your copy that could be repaired.

It certainly sounds correctable.

Last edited by normhead; 10-19-2017 at 01:11 PM.
10-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Click on the Edit Post button.

I wonder if this is something specific to your copy that could be repaired.
Actually i have traded photos with a couple others with this KP problem. I asked Pentax about it not too long ago and they want me to send it to precision cameras. Which isn't about to happen.

---------- Post added 10-19-17 at 12:47 PM ----------

Actually i have traded photos with a couple others with this KP problem. I asked Pentax about it not too long ago and they want me to send it to precision cameras. Which isn't about to happen.
Normhead BTW i have no edit button any where with any web browser. Maybe i haven't been around long enough to have earned one which i think was a PF rule a while back.

---------- Post added 10-19-17 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Noise patterns? And their blurring of details? That's a new one to me. Maybe a totally new glitch. I haven't noticed any abnormality with my KP, other than it on rare occasion will overexpose a subject in backlit shots, overcompensating for the backlighting. With a number of Pentax DSLR cameras, I believe also with the KP, some test reviewers have noticed a tendency for smearing of details, which clears up when through the custom Image menu, sharpening is set to "F" (Fine sharpening). I discovered this myself some years ago, and I now automatically do this with any model.

Editing your post should be easy- just use the Edit Message tab provided underneath your posted message, just for you, then hit "Save". I just added this sentence.
Not blurring details. Think of it as spots on your reading glasses if you have them. The details are there and the image is sharp and no smearing either. As i mentioned it's completely random and the only way i can explain it is that it is looks like high iso noise overlayed over a low iso image.

Yes the KP does smear, at least sort of for me and a couple others the KP has more jagged lines than smears. The same effect appears in raw or jpeg and honestly i ignore the problem for the most part but since i am not the only one i thought there should be some record of it. Just in case.
10-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #54
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 10-19-17 at 12:47 PM ----------

Normhead BTW i have no edit button any where with any web browser. Maybe i haven't been around long enough to have earned one which i think was a PF rule a while back.

---------- Post added 10-19-17 at 12:55 PM ----------

Not blurring details. Think of it as spots on your reading glasses if you have them. The details are there and the image is sharp and no smearing either. As i mentioned it's completely random and the only way i can explain it is that it is looks like high iso noise overlayed over a low iso image.

Yes the KP does smear, at least sort of for me and a couple others the KP has more jagged lines than smears. The same effect appears in raw or jpeg and honestly i ignore the problem for the most part but since i am not the only one i thought there should be some record of it. Just in case.
What we now is a record of whether or not Precision can repair it.
10-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #55

Normhead. Indeed.

Hey! i have EDIT now. Cheers.

Normhead i brought the KP and the pentax repair order to my local camera shop and they will handle the rest.
I'l keep you up to date when i hear any practical news.

Pentax wanted the shop to handle it this time. If this is a good or bad sign i don't know but i told the shop that i wanted to be told long before hand of any Fees and if the camera can't be fixed or a like for like that i would take a partial refund that is to my liking not some pencil pusher's idea of what is fair. No credit vouchers as i already have two form Fuji that will probably never get used unless the X-T3 is the cats meow.

For now i'm still using my K-3 and my E-m1 mark ii.

Last edited by solitudebound; 10-20-2017 at 01:42 PM.
10-22-2017, 05:40 AM   #56

Hey solitudebound, are you sure you didn't "oversharpen" the pictures?

Because actually I think that is what this mysterious "sharpening" feature does... (Creating the illusion of more sharpness... But zooming in close, you will see it actually takes away details)
And if something like that would happen to me, I wouldn't only set "sharpen" to ZERO.
I would also check the color profile I am using to see if if the sharpness setting in there somehow got yanked to EX-S and to the most possible amount of sharpening...
10-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
Hey solitudebound, are you sure you didn't "oversharpen" the pictures?

Because actually I think that is what this mysterious "sharpening" feature does... (Creating the illusion of more sharpness... But zooming in close, you will see it actually takes away details)
And if something like that would happen to me, I wouldn't only set "sharpen" to ZERO.
I would also check the color profile I am using to see if if the sharpness setting in there somehow got yanked to EX-S and to the most possible amount of sharpening...
As i mentioned i did try all the settings. and the problem repeated it self none the less. Again the point is and not only myself btw is that the noise is imposed or overlayed over the image. You can set any kind of sharpen or colour profile or none at all you want it won't matter. There is a threshold where at least three KP's that i know of that layer high iso noise over the normal image. I don't know how much more simpler i can explain it. The point is that the imposed noise isn't any set of image pixels that has been sharpened and in fact you often get black spots on flat grey surfaces, or black spots over green leaves kind of explains it quite clearly.

As mentioned my KP has been sent back and if some news comes of it i will post it otherwise the subject is Mute.

Last edited by solitudebound; 10-22-2017 at 07:47 AM.
10-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #58

I guess we just have to be patient for the K-3 mark 3. I just hope we don't end up with a Nikon D500 clone, people use that camera far too often as a comparison and it's useless for landscapes and even group photos are rarely that good.
10-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I guess we just have to be patient for the K-3 mark 3. I just hope we don't end up with a Nikon D500 clone, people use that camera far too often as a comparison and it's useless for landscapes and even group photos are rarely that good.
The K3II is a very good camera for the money. Might be a couple years old but don’t let that scare you. I was out with mine yesterday. The KP is an equally capable low light / high ISO monster too. If you need something soon I can’t recommend either of them enough.
10-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #60

I am quite aware of this. Thank you.