Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have to admit that I find the menu completely daunting. I have no idea where to start! I suppose I'll shoot JPEG in manual tomorrow during the day. Not really sure how to mess with anything else, or even if I should for that matter.

I have a positive feeling about this machine and it's challenges. I think that I'm going to learn a lot!

10-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many of the most urgent settings are on the INFO screen.
10-01-2017, 10:10 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
I have to admit that I find the menu completely daunting. I have no idea where to start! I suppose I'll shoot JPEG in manual tomorrow during the day. Not really sure how to mess with anything else, or even if I should for that matter.

I have a positive feeling about this machine and it's challenges. I think that I'm going to learn a lot!
Excellent! You are no longer 'unconsciously incompetent' and are now in Phase 2 of 'conscious incompetence'. It will pass with effort and patience. Starting with jpeg in manual is exactly what I'd recommend. With your positive feelings, you will find the glass half full and you will learn a lot.

The menus are daunting, but over time and experience, you will begin to get it. In fact, after years of shooting with DSLRs, I'm still learning new stuff in various menus that I had ignored or never explored before. I would guess that's true for 99% of all photographers. Keep Calm and Keep Shooting. Good light is your best friend.
10-02-2017, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do this, set it to RAW+ - this will give you nice jpegs you can immediately enjoy, and then as you feel like delving into phase 2 of your new adventure, you can start dabbling with the RAW files for the images you might want to go tweak - a little too dark, not right contrast, whatever doesn't seem quite right. There's a learning curve on the software for processing the RAW files, but it opens up another dimension of what you can do after you take the picture, and a great way to pass some evening hours after getting that near two year old to bed.

10-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
I took the Pentax out to the park today with my daughter and my parents. A few impressions: First off, this machine is alien to me, down to the way I hold it. It feels different than other things I've used, and I'm not used to it. My prior daily beater was the Panasonic LX100, and the menu feels a lot different than Pentax.

One thing that I'll need to do is start holding the camera by the grip, and that means using my right hand. I'm left handed. But it shouldn't be a problem, right? It's not as if I'm trying to do calligraphy. When I drive a standard, I shift precisely with my right hand.

Menu is a little daunting but less so. I spent a little time exploring. Customing it and appropriating buttons will be a bitch for me I'm sure. Gotta plug through it.

Picture quality is excellent in JPEG and the 20mp sensor allows for some heavy cropping without being penalized. 18-50mm is too slow for indoors but I knew that getting into it. It's a plenty sharp lens and I didn't get ANY flair on this bright sunny day. For $500 what more can you ask?

A few questions: I seem to have locked myself out of an image setting. Last night I changed my JPEG setting from bright to natural. Today I tried switching it to monochrome and am locked out; it shows the menu but the font is faded and can't be highlighted, so I locked myself out somehow.

How do I play back video in camera? I'm dead serious, I cannot figure this out!

The little clip that covers the hot shoe isn't going back on flush like it was. Does that make the camera more susceptible to water ingress?

How do I access in-camera raw editing? Probably getting way ahead of myself but what the hell.

As always, thanks everyone!
10-02-2017, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

One thing that I'll need to do is start holding the camera by the grip, and that means using my right hand. I'm left handed. But it shouldn't be a problem, right? It's not as if I'm trying to do calligraphy. When I drive a standard, I shift precisely with my right hand.
I'm left handed as well and have never had a problem operating a camera with my right hand. It leaves my left hand free to twiddle the rings on the lens. I think we left handers are far more ambidextrous than the average right hander, just out of necessity. Back in my newspaper days, I found a bit of an advantage at being left handed in that I could sit in a meeting with a legal pad on my lap and take notes with my left hand while shooting the occasional picture with my right.
10-02-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to hold a DSLR: I'd recommend put your left palm up with your left upper arm against your torso. With your left thumb to the left, cradle the lens from underneath so you can now manually focus and/or zoom with your thumb and middle finger. The right hand is best on the grip. I always hold my camera this way unless I'm shooting with live view from a low or high angle.

Here's your owner's manual:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-s2.pdf
Have you tried page 71 for the jpeg setting from natural to monochrome?
Page 51 for video playback?
Are you putting the hot shoe cover on correctly oriented? No, it does not affect water ingress and I wouldn't worry about it.
Page 87 for developing RAW images in camera. Note: This is very crude and if you don't want to use Lightroom or Photoshop (with Adobe Camera Raw), then at least use Ricoh's own Silkypix free software: SILKYPIX Developer Studio SE Version --- Download ---

10-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
^^ thanks for the help!
10-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
That's a great starting point. Learn the features of your camera and the type of photography you do most; then branch out with another lens or two. Of course, that's a slippery slope.
It is a slippery slip... GAS and LBA hit me hard in the past 10 months... 9 lenses; 2 bodies with battery grips, flash, two tripods, half a dozen bags you get the idea.

I hope the OP enjoys the KS2.
10-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
There is dirt in the pentaprism. When focusing towards blue sky today, I noticed what at first appeared to be noise. Then I realized that I'm no longer shooting mirrorless! I cleaned the lens with a light solution that I use for my eyeglasses, same with the viewfinder. I still see the same smudging and a definite dust speck. Back to Amazon it goes.
10-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #41
Pentaxian

^ Ah! This will be a semi-common thing with the "lower end" DSLR cameras. Dust will someway somehow make it into the sensor and/or viewfinder at times. Get yourserlf a "rocket blower" & blow it out. When push coems to shove, you'll eventually have to resort to getting a "wet" cleaning kit that comes with some swabs & solution to wipe off the sensor.

There should be a feature on the K-S2 that shakes the sensor to remove dust when turn it on or off or both. It's in the menu system. It works up to a certain point. The "higher end" cameras like K-3/3II & such feature an electric dust removal system that works pretty darn good.
10-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah, ok. To be on the safe side, I requested a replacement from Amazon. They said it would be in on the 5th. When it arrives, I'll take a good hard look at the viewfinder. If it's clear then I know that it's environmental.
10-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What you are seeing is not dust on the sensor, but dust in the pentaprism or focusing screen.

This is super common and does not appear in your shots. Anyone using an optical viewfinder knows this is an annoyance, but learns to ignore it. You can usually clean it yourself, but you can expect dust to return within days or weeks.

Getting a rocket blower brush is wise for cleaning your sensor, but I wouldnʻt bother trying to clean viewfinder dust.
10-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have an idea about program modes: I'm thinking about using full auto throughout the day, then remembering those settings and plugging them in for future use.

I am impressed as hell by the JPEGs this thing produces by the way.
10-04-2017, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would do the same- return for exchange. There should be no such issue with a new camera. I wonder about the price (?) and the lens you are getting. The 18-55mm is the older kit lens. It should at least be the WR (weather-resistant) version having weather seals so you can shoot in drippy conditions. The K-S2 body has weather sealing. I bought a K-S2 last year and got a great deal. It came pre-packed as a kit from Pentax with their newer ultra-compact 18-50mm kit lens, which has WR as well as a new, quiet AF motor. As a package, I got the lens for less than $50 over the $500 body-alone price, which was remarkable. I'd have to look it up for the exact price, but I know it was under $50.

Although I've had my K-5 IIs since long before, and more recently the KP, I have a very high regard for my K-S2. Image quality, excellent metering including flash metering, very good build quality for its class, and a fine feature set, along with its very compact and lightweight design, make it vary special. For instance, other brand DSLRs do not offer both thumb and finger dial controls at such a price point. I would say just shoot jpegs for the time being to acquaint yourself with your new instrument. The jpeg engines of the K-5 IIs, the KP, and this camera are excellent. Metering accuracy is excellent. You will soon find the K-S2 to be very efficient and easy to use. For example, the Pentax Hyper System. If you shoot in Manual Mode (M), you will find the unique, exclusive Pentax Hyper Manual operation to be the most efficient in the industry. Just use the green button to set a center-metered exposure and adjust from there as needed. Also great for fast spot metering. In Program Mode (P), with the Pentax Hyper operation, if you'd rather have a different aperture or shutter speed than the camera has selected, just use the thumb or finger dial and change it! Simple as that- without having to go to the mode dial first to switch to Av or Tv, and just hit the green button to return to full Program mode. Use the mode dial if you want to keep the camera in Av or Tv mode when you'll be intermittently turning the camera on and off.

I would advise that you adjust your sharpening in both the default "Bright" and the "Natural" Custom Image sections. First, hit "info" for quick access to various common adjustments. The Custom Image category is in the upper left corner, and should be already selected. "Bright" is the first one in this category. Just hit the ok button in the center of the 4-way control panel above the "info" button to access all Custom Image sections. "Bright" is the first one, so hit "info" again to access its menu. Scroll down using the 4-way control panel to "S". Default for "Bright" is up one notch. With this camera, I like it up by one more. Use the 4-way control panel to adjust up one more notch to the right, then (important) use your rear thumb dial to add "F" by the "S" for "Fine sharpening". Then hit "ok" which will put you back to go to the next category, using the 4-way control, which will be "Natural". Adjust sharpening to be the same as in "Bright". The color palette, contrast, etc. will still be different between them and best left at default. You can simply turn the camera off or hit the menu button twice to exit.

I have no doubt you will enjoy the control you will now have in your photography, as well as the results.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.