Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
. . . I think on my budget I'll go for the Pentax nifty fifty. I'll have to step back a little from my shots but so what? . . . !
the old fashion zoom

one step forward, two step back

nice choice

have you found this review yet comparing some of the Pentax 50 mm lenses?

Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

09-29-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

That's a great starting point. Learn the features of your camera and the type of photography you do most; then branch out with another lens or two. Of course, that's a slippery slope.
09-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
the old fashion zoom

one step forward, two step back

nice choice

have you found this review yet comparing some of the Pentax 50 mm lenses?

Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Great article, thanks
09-30-2017, 05:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The camera I've been using for the past couple of years is the Panasonic LX100. While a compact, it got me well familiar with shooting in manual. I enjoy shooting at night, mostly buildings, so i doubt that the f/4 kit lens is gonna cut it. I think on my budget I'll go for the Pentax nifty fifty. I'll have to step back a little from my shots but so what?

One thing that I'd like to do is finally start shooting and editing raw!
The K-S2 has been my main cam for most of the last couple of years, You should see a nice upgrade in image quality over the LX100, It's great in low light too. Just curious do you have a tripod? For the kind of shooting you describe a tripod would probably give you more mileage than a new lens and let you shoot with more depth of field at a low ISO. You also may want to consider the Plastic Fantasic 35 f2.4 for your building shots. The field of view on the 35mm will be closer to what you remember on the K1000 (if you shot with a 50) due to the APSC sensor size. Anyways welcome and enjoy!

10-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

What color did you get?
The Ks2 has some cool color variations.

Don't be scared off of manual focus lenses, there are good prime lenses you can get for under $50.
10-01-2017, 04:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Tonight I ordered a KS2 with the 18-55mm off of amazon. I was saving for the K70, however, I need other stuff (like a new pair of shoes and clothes without holes!). I'm hoping I made the right choice!!! I've never owned a Pentax before, with the exception of a long-term loan of pal's K1000 a few years ago (which taught me how to shoot manual).

Anyhow, I've been stressing and deliberating over camera choices for a while. When it comes in in a few days I'll do sort of a layman's review. Thanks for all the advice.
Welcome to this community. Feel free to ask question as there are definitely users happy to assist you
10-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
What color did you get?
The Ks2 has some cool color variations.

Don't be scared off of manual focus lenses, there are good prime lenses you can get for under $50.
Black.

And thanks everyone for your advice and warm welcomes!

---------- Post added 10-01-17 at 10:40 AM ----------

I noticed that my Amazon prime order is being filled by Tri State Camera. A google search of them shows shady grey market hijinks. Any reason to worry?

10-01-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Black.

And thanks everyone for your advice and warm welcomes!

---------- Post added 10-01-17 at 10:40 AM ----------

I noticed that my Amazon prime order is being filled by Tri State Camera. A google search of them shows shady grey market hijinks. Any reason to worry?
Since you ordered through Amazon, you probably don't have much to worry about. If you have any issues, go through Amazon and they'll have your back.
10-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope that is correct and toptenmaterial will have no problems with either the vendor or Amazon

I have had problems lately with Amazon when I ordered items advertised as being in stock when I placed the order and having " prime " status promised delivery within 2 days

twice after I placed the order they notify me that they won't be delivering the item timely as promised

I have called and " talked " to supervisors and eventually they made the " situation " " right ", the items didn't get to me as promised but they did give me " compensation " of a sort for the delay

if they advertise it in stock and promise timely delivery we need to hold them to it.

my recommendation is not to take it but call and demand satisfaction when they don't keep their end of the bargain.
10-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tri-State Camera has been a mostly mail order camera and electronics retailer in Brooklyn, New York since the late 70's. If you go to their web site, you'll find they have a huge inventory of Pentax DSLRs. To be competitive and relevant (mostly for Canikony gear) they (as does Adorama and B&H) sell some grey (and white) market gear.

Grey market is not black market. It means they imported the camera. That usually brings either price down or availability up. The downside to the consumer is that it doesn't have a USA warranty and that any warranty related claims must go back to Tri-State.

As others have said, you have many levels of protection such as your credit card and Amazon. Although I haven't bought from Tri-State for decades, I can't imagine a company that's been in business over 40 years, a business that has seen many competitors close shop, wouldn't take care of anything wrong with your order.

With that said, if what you ordered was listed as "new", I would check the EXIF file once you get your camera to make sure that the actuation count is near zero, unless it was an "open box", "refurbished", or "demo" label in the description.
10-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
The camera was delivered today. It certainly appears new and has a warrenty card and manual. How do I check the EXIF file as Alex has suggested? I'm very new to this. I'm trying to read the instruction manual, but I always have a tough time retaining the info from those. I guess it's the way I'm wired. However, I did find a series of YouTube vids that completely breaks down the menu and functions of the KS2.

Pentax K-S2 Video Manual 1 -- Overview - YouTube

My impressions so far are good! I've had a very limited chance to use it as I'm having an overnight with my very active and enquisitive nearly two year old. So I shot maybe 20 JPEGS in my dim kitchen and living room. Even though the 18-50mm lens is at f/4 wide open I actually did get a pleasing depth of field on some shots. That surprised me. My only view of these pics I took was on the LCD screen. I didn't see noise until 6400iso, then it gets ever so slightly chunky. This is on JPEG default settings though, and I intend to get a faster lens. I have my eye on the plastic fantastic f/1.8 that Pentax makes.

So, where do I go from here? Well, I think tomorrow I'm going to familiarize myself with some settings if I can. The weather is supposed to be quite nice in Providence tomorrow and I have the day off, so I think I'll take a stroll with the baby and shoot some JPEGs.
10-01-2017, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's a couple links that can help you find how many shots the camera has taken from your latest jpegs:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Check Your Pentax Camera's Shutter Count - Resources | PentaxForums.com

Where do you go from here?
a) Explore the menu. Get totally familiar with your camera. If you become overwhelmed, then keep it simple and try new things once you've mastered one function.

b) Shoot, shoot, shoot! Train your eye and your muscle memory with the camera to the point where you don't have to consciously think how things work. There are four phases of learning: 1) Unconscious incompetence; 2) Conscious incompetence; 3) Conscious competence; 4) Unconscious competence. Work your way to make #4 your goal, but be patient as you work through each phase.

c) Consider learning how to post-process RAW files with Lightroom or Photoshop and share your work with others that will give you both constructive criticism and positive reinforcement.
10-01-2017, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I intend to get a faster lens. I have my eye on the plastic fantastic f/1.8 that Pentax makes. . . .

you might want to look at this

"What’s so nifty about a fifty millimeter lens? . . . There are number of reason why this renewed interest in what was consider a “normal lens” for 35mm but for most digital cameras is a short telephoto. First, 50mm lenses are usually at least two stops faster than most reasonably priced zoom lenses on the market. Second, the 50mm focal length has long been used on 35mm cameras for decades and enjoys some of the best utilized and corrected optical designs. Generally 50mm lenses are often the sharpest optics in the manufacturer's line. Third, most 50mm are very reasonable priced and are a great entry point to obtain a prime lens. Because of the APS-C sensor size a 50mm lens has a field of view of a short tele - it corresponds toa 75mm lens on a 24 x 36 mm (aka full-frame) camera.

Currently Pentax makes three different 50mm lenses: the SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro, and DA 50mm F1.8. All three can be used on digital cameras and the first two are considered full-frame lenses. Although the DA 50mm is marketed as an APS-C-only lens, some speculate that it may also work on full-frame (i.e. film) cameras. There is thread concerning this issue on our forum, but until the issue is finally put to rest we will have to take the position that the lens is to be used only on APS-C digital cameras and is not full-frame compatible.

10-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
you might want to look at this

"What’s so nifty about a fifty millimeter lens? . . . There are number of reason why this renewed interest in what was consider a “normal lens” for 35mm but for most digital cameras is a short telephoto. First, 50mm lenses are usually at least two stops faster than most reasonably priced zoom lenses on the market. Second, the 50mm focal length has long been used on 35mm cameras for decades and enjoys some of the best utilized and corrected optical designs. Generally 50mm lenses are often the sharpest optics in the manufacturer's line. Third, most 50mm are very reasonable priced and are a great entry point to obtain a prime lens. Because of the APS-C sensor size a 50mm lens has a field of view of a short tele - it corresponds toa 75mm lens on a 24 x 36 mm (aka full-frame) camera.

Currently Pentax makes three different 50mm lenses: the SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro, and DA 50mm F1.8. All three can be used on digital cameras and the first two are considered full-frame lenses. Although the DA 50mm is marketed as an APS-C-only lens, some speculate that it may also work on full-frame (i.e. film) cameras. There is thread concerning this issue on our forum, but until the issue is finally put to rest we will have to take the position that the lens is to be used only on APS-C digital cameras and is not full-frame compatible.

I actually read that whole article earlier. This site puts out amazing content!
10-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually read that whole article earlier. This site puts out amazing content!
oops

forgot my earlier post