Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. Yes, this was the model that came with the newer 18-50 lens. For a "kit" lens it's pretty darn sharp I'd say. I've heard gripes about Pentax noise but this one is pretty quiet. It's slow at f/4 but you can't win 'em all, especially for 500USD.

I am not good at using this camera and taking the shots I want. I suspect that this is not the fault of the camera. I'm of two minds about it: the first tells me to return it, save a little dough and go back to mirrorless. The second tells me to give it one winter. I think I'll give it one winter.

The issue is that the machine does not feel intuitive to me as all. It's not an extension of me like my old LX100 was. But it won't shit the bed in dust and rain either like my LX100 did so there ya go.

But I hope- HOPE- that I can become a better photographer. This new camera is totally alien to me, way more than I have expected it would be. If I learn it, I may become better at what we do.

I'm gonna keep it and, if I'm current with the rent and my kid has everything she needs, pick up a mirrorless with my tax refund this winter.

By the way- returning it through Amazon was probably redundant. I'll keep an eye on the new viewfinder to see if crap accumulates.

10-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #47
Veteran Member

If you use great care under conditions in which you change lenses, no crap should enter your camera. I am glad you got the new 18-50mm kit lens. $500 is a great price. I think when a camera is bought new it should come out of the box perfect, so returning for exchange was not a bad idea. That lens is indeed better than the old kit lens. The AF is quiet, quick, and sure. Image quality very good, and it is the most compact zoom for carrying on an APS-C DSLR. On the K-S2, you can actually find yourself able to fit a zoom lens on an APS-C DSLR into a large jacket pocket!!

Coming from a design like the LX 100, of course a DSLR will feel quite different. The same is true of those coming from only P/S camera use. The control features of the K-S2, however, are very well thought out and finger-tip changes can be made instantly, once you become acquainted with using these controls. Other common adjustment menus are quickly available by using the "info" button. Most any brand DSLR has most controls on the right side of the camera, to which left-handed people must become acclimated, and do so perpetually. Apparently it's no big deal once you get used to it, and I can tell you once you do, this is a very fast-operating camera with great capabilities. Even with the little kit lens and f/4, I think you'll notice superior aperture and DOF control, the superior optical 100% viewfinder, and much more for quality images under a variety of circumstances.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-06-2017 at 01:20 PM.
10-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
How to hold a DSLR: I'd recommend put your left palm up with your left upper arm against your torso. With your left thumb to the left, cradle the lens from underneath so you can now manually focus and/or zoom with your thumb and middle finger. The right hand is best on the grip. I always hold my camera this way unless I'm shooting with live view from a low or high angle.

Here's your owner's manual:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-s2.pdf
Have you tried page 71 for the jpeg setting from natural to monochrome?
Page 51 for video playback?
Are you putting the hot shoe cover on correctly oriented? No, it does not affect water ingress and I wouldn't worry about it.
Page 87 for developing RAW images in camera. Note: This is very crude and if you don't want to use Lightroom or Photoshop (with Adobe Camera Raw), then at least use Ricoh's own Silkypix free software: SILKYPIX Developer Studio SE Version --- Download ---
Forgive the redundant question, but how do I change the custom image? That setting seems inaccessible. I can't seem to post a pic from my phone to show what I mean, but I'm in the settings, and the first in that page, custom image, is dim and can't be clicked on. Weird.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was in Auto. 😋
10-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I almost never have the mode dial of any of my cameras set to Auto. Many functions are then in dis-connect. It is a good feature when handing the camera temporarily to someone who knows nothing, just so they can take a picture. This way, they won't mistakenly engage a function that would mess things up.

10-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
Do you guys find live view to be useful for focus peaking? It was great with mirrorless but feels different here. I wear glasses to judging focus can be tough when I remove them.
10-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
Do you guys find live view to be useful for focus peaking? It was great with mirrorless but feels different here. I wear glasses to judging focus can be tough when I remove them.
I think magnified Live View (just hit the OK button) is better than focus peaking, TopTen.
10-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, by the way, I took it out in lousy weather for the first time last night. Here's a shot I did by the highway:

Instagram

10-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, by the way, I took it out in lousy weather for the first time last night. Here's a shot I did by the highway:

Instagram
Nicely done!
10-11-2017, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #54
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nicely done!
Thanks! It was during a light rain too. Really didn't start showing up in shots for quite a while, I suppose the computer has some magic algorithm for eliminating it.
10-12-2017, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Sometimes a little pop of flash can help in bringing out rain or snow. Nice shot though.
10-12-2017, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations and welcome aboard!
10-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have a confession to make: I boxed up the KS2 today for return. It's a great camera, without question. But for my style of photography, which is walking around the city, child in hand, it's just too darn big. I cut my teeth on the phone and moved on to advanced compacts, so I'm gonna go mirrorless this time.

If I get my K1000 back can we still be friends???
10-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a confession to make: I boxed up the KS2 today for return. But for my style of photography, which is walking around the city, child in hand, it's just too darn big. I cut my teeth on the phone and moved on to advanced compacts, so I'm gonna go mirrorless this time.

If I get my K1000 back can we still be friends???
No apology needed. Most folks have given up all cameras for their phones. But how can you go back to your K1000 if you find the K-S2 too big?

The K1000 is (W x H x D): 143 x 91.4 x 83mm.

The K-S2 is 123 x 91 x 73 mm.....smaller in every dimension. Put on a pancake 40mm and you've got something smaller than just about anything other than an Olympus SLR.

Please return your official Pentaxian badge at the nearest Fotomat drive-thru kiosk.
10-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Alex, I love your response. Of course the decision is up to the individual. But reality is reality. If a camera having a smaller sensor than APS-C serves the user's needs well enough, and with a simple control system (meaning less control), well, that's why they make such cameras.

The K-S2 is indeed one of the smallest and lightest of APS-C DSLRs. Yet it also has 2-dial operation, a fine VF with100% FOV, and WR. If one goes mirrorless, there are some with APS-C size sensors. But then the size is not very much different than the K-S2.
10-13-2017, 04:24 AM   #60
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm a leftie. My right hand is used only for shaking hands, waving, and on rare occasion flipping the bird in traffic. Try as I might, I cannot seem to train myself to reach for the camera with my left hand. Most cameras are intended to be held by the grip. Now, with mirrorless and compacts, I can instinctively avoid the grip and use my left hand without a problem because of the weight, but with a DSLR it's another matter. That's just my individual experience.