Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 10:24 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

So, I'm officially a Pentaxian...

Tonight I ordered a KS2 with the 18-55mm off of amazon. I was saving for the K70, however, I need other stuff (like a new pair of shoes and clothes without holes!). I'm hoping I made the right choice!!! I've never owned a Pentax before, with the exception of a long-term loan of pal's K1000 a few years ago (which taught me how to shoot manual).

Anyhow, I've been stressing and deliberating over camera choices for a while. When it comes in in a few days I'll do sort of a layman's review. Thanks for all the advice.

09-28-2017, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kudos and welcome to the cult...I mean club. Our art department ordered a KS2 last year and it has had a ton of use in the studio by countless students. My son has loved his K-50 and I think you'll be amazed at the KS2. Share some of your photos from your first days once the camera arrives!
09-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well my first DSLR was a K-x and I was thrilled with it - so I'm sure you will enjoy the KS2 which should be much more capable!

I started with SLR too.
09-29-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KS2 is a very capable camera. I am sure you will enjoy it (once you have clothes and shoes to go out with it!)

09-29-2017, 04:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome. The K-S2 is a very good camera that blows away all others in it’s class for features and functionality. I purchased one for my niece for her first DSLR. Sometimes it is about the money. If it wasn’t I’d own a K-1 and probably be divorced. :-)
09-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the camera! I suggest Goodwill/your local thrift shop to make sure you have enough money available after clothes shopping to support your next issue, LBA. You'll find clothes are a distant second in need once the shutter bug bites!
09-29-2017, 04:29 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

can't wait until we see some of your work

what type of photography are you interested in.

not an advocate of holey clothes uh ?

I wear holey socks to church on Sunday inside of my boots

boots are cool, no one can tell if your socks match or are holey or even if you are wearing any

( at least that is what I tell kids when I see them wearing boots instead of regular shoes )

09-29-2017, 05:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
Tonight I ordered a KS2 with the 18-55mm off of amazon. I was saving for the K70, however, I need other stuff (like a new pair of shoes and clothes without holes!). I'm hoping I made the right choice!!! I've never owned a Pentax before, with the exception of a long-term loan of pal's K1000 a few years ago (which taught me how to shoot manual).

Anyhow, I've been stressing and deliberating over camera choices for a while. When it comes in in a few days I'll do sort of a layman's review. Thanks for all the advice.
I love my K-70, but I'm not sure the KS2 --> K70 is the best upgrade path as they are too close though ISO performance and 12 vs 14 bit RAW are definite improvements. My suggestion would be to save for higher quality glass first. The KS2 is very capable.

See the KS2 review on this site, BTW. https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-s2-review/introduction.html

Last edited by jgnfld; 09-29-2017 at 05:22 AM.
09-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are new to DSLRs don't be surprised if your first photos are terrible. There is a learning curve.
09-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I love my K-70, but I'm not sure the KS2 --> K70 is the best upgrade path as they are too close though ISO performance and 12 vs 14 bit RAW are definite improvements. My suggestion would be to save for higher quality glass first. The KS2 is very capable.

See the KS2 review on this site, BTW. Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I would urge you to use the tools of the forum when deciding on possible upgrades

for example here is a side by side comparison between the K 3 - K 70 - K 5 II ( I have a K 3 and K 5 II )

Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

and one comparing the K 70 - KS 2 - K 3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-70&...&c3=Pentax+K-3

of course, you must decide what level of technology fits your budget and there is nothing wrong with any choice you make because you have the final vote

you can also go up to " Lenses " and find good info on possible lenses you might be interested, for example, here is info on the DA L 50 - 200 mm WR

SMC Pentax-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

if you chose to look for an " experienced " camera or lens, I urge you to check out the forum's Market Place.

I have had good luck buying "experienced " gear there.

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-29-2017 at 05:51 AM.
09-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The K-S2 is a fantastic first camera! Congratulations and welcome!
09-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you are new to DSLRs don't be surprised if your first photos are terrible. There is a learning curve.
Your first 10,000 photos will be your worst.
09-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The 20Mpix sensor is nice, wish a few more bodies had it.
Enjoy!
09-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Your first 10,000 photos will be your worst.
And after that, you will occasionally get a good result. I have a cubic meter of slides and negatives and over 40,000 digital images, and am seldom completely satisfied with the results, but when I get it right it is a wonderful feeling
09-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
The camera I've been using for the past couple of years is the Panasonic LX100. While a compact, it got me well familiar with shooting in manual. I enjoy shooting at night, mostly buildings, so i doubt that the f/4 kit lens is gonna cut it. I think on my budget I'll go for the Pentax nifty fifty. I'll have to step back a little from my shots but so what?

One thing that I'd like to do is finally start shooting and editing raw!