Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Upgrade from Pentax K5

Hello,

I have a Pentax K5 which appears to have focusing issues, so I am looking to upgrade my camera soon. I have a keen interest in Nature and Wildlife photography and would like to know which 'newer' model camera members think would best suit my requirements. I mainly use my Pentax f2.8 100mm Macro Lens and a Sigma 170-500mm DG lens when out shooting wildlife (Insects, Butterflies, Birds, Deer etc).

So which camera would you recommend?

I was thinking of one of the following: K70, K3II or possibly the KP.

Best Regards,

Paul

10-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 II is in the same class as the K-5, so this would feel like a natural upgrade in terms of handling and performance. The KP isn't far behind, though, and it actually has better image quality and a more modern, more customizable menu system. If you don't want to wait for a K-3 successor and would rather have the best image quality, then the KP would be the way to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would strongly second Adam's recommendation of the KP. The tilt screen alone puts it way ahead as a choice for insects. MUCH easier to shoot at the insect's level rather than down from above. It's also far better for near ground-level pictures of subjects such as mushrooms.
10-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

I hear what everyone says, but really wondering thay with your Bigma, that you may want a more substantive body like the k3. Also is having two card slots a consideration? I find the KP as a capable camera to make mirrorless users think twice before leaving the DSLRs.

Best of luck.

10-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the K-5 IIs and more recently the KP. I too would suggest the KP for your upgrade. Though it is more compact, it handles very well. The K-5 body is somewhat better in general handling with larger lenses, but with that situation I find I grab the lens more than by the camera body anyway. With a relatively slower tele lens like theSigma 170-500mm DG, the superior higher ISO performance is like making your lens into a faster one to get the higher shutter speeds needed for wildlife shots at such longer focal lengths. Your quality at ISO 3200 will be as good or better than other cameras at ISO 1600, which comparatively is like making an f/6.3 lens into an f/4 lens, and an f/4 lens into an f/2.8 lens.

The build quality of the KP is also of professional calibre. Image quality, metering and features are top-notch. Controls are not quite as many on-body as the K-5 due to its compact design, but are unique and versatile, far better than the ordinary amateur-oriented body. Since it does not use an AA filter, and with its excellent 24mp sensor, there is improvement in fine detail. Just be sure to dial in "F"- Fine sharpening in your custom image menu.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-04-2017 at 04:52 PM.
10-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
KDD
Veteran Member

Or wait for a K-3 successor.
10-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I suggest a KP as well unless you need dual SD card slots. If you do lots of telephoto glass I highly recommend a battery grip as well for the KP.

FWIIW my KP with battery grip and DA * 300 and D FA * 70-200 handle nearly as well as my K3II and the battery grip.

10-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You should go with the body with the best noise performance if you are using a lens like the Sigma.
10-03-2017, 02:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also have a K5 and I've been scoping out the KP mainly for its updated sensor, bracketing options, tilting screen, high ISO performance and 5 axis stabilisation. It also looks great which shouldn't really be a consideration. It's in bricks & mortar shops in Sydney which is unusual. I find the K1 and KP are getting into actual stores which is nice for a change. I'm only posting so I get included in any updates. But please don't convince me to buy something I don't really need with money I don't have.
10-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you make use of the top LCD on your K-5, be aware that the KP does not have one.
10-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
If you make use of the top LCD on your K-5, be aware that the KP does not have one.
Let me copy and paste from the KP review I have written a few minutes ago

"This is my first camera without a top LCD and I feared I would miss all that useful info with the KP, but I have found out that setting the rear screen to "always on except when you shoot" it's even better than that: more info and - being bigger - easier to read."
10-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
"This is my first camera without a top LCD and I feared I would miss all that useful info with the KP, but I have found out that setting the rear screen to "always on except when you shoot" it's even better than that: more info and - being bigger - easier to read."
Different strokes... I like my top LCD, and I prefer to leave the rear screen off except for image review.
10-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The KP isn't far behind, though, and it actually has better image quality and a more modern, more customizable menu system.
Adam (or others), how does the K-5's AF system compare to that of KP's? I, too, have been considering a new camera, mainly because autofocus has never been something that made me extremely happy about the K-5. For example I had to get rid of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, because in combination with K-5, it was always hit and miss.
10-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
Adam (or others), how does the K-5's AF system compare to that of KP's? I, too, have been considering a new camera, mainly because autofocus has never been something that made me extremely happy about the K-5. For example I had to get rid of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, because in combination with K-5, it was always hit and miss.
The KP's AF is improved in a number of ways, most notably in that it can focus in -3EV, making it much more sensitive and less prone to hunting in low light.

Of course, it also has 27 points rather than 11, so you get more density, which makes multi-point modes much more useful.

Lastly, improvements have been made to the tracking algorithm, and this dramatically improves the keeper rate when you're shooting bursts of things close to the camera.

Note that the KP shares its AF system with the K-3 II. The K-3's AF is similar but without the tracking enhancements, while the K-5 II's AF still has the improved low-light sensitivity, but only 11 points.

If you're after fast AF, also treat yourself to the 55-300mm PLM lens, as it's insanely quick. Only works with the K-3 or newer, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far it's been good to gauge other Pentax users opinions. I live in Manchester (UK) and there is a Photo show in Liverpool called Digital Splash and Pentax are exhibiting so will see and hopefully try and get my hands on the current Pentax kit. I might take the Sigma 170-500mm lens with me and see if they let me attach it to one of there display cameras to try and see what it handles like. I am after buying ASAP. My K5 has focusing issues and using the 170-500mm and capturing a sharp image is a nightmare. I have put the same lens with an adapter on an Olympus EM-5 that I bought and get clear, well exposed images. So the Pentax K5 I have as a focusing issue. So can't really wait for a K3ii upgrade so it's decision time this weekend! It would be good to try the lens on a KP, I assume this would work similar to the Olympus EM-5 in that it has an electronic viewfinder so displays a quick review of the image as a preview after each shot, which is a feature I like on the olympus when using the electronic viewfinder. The only downsides of the Olympus is that it constantly hunts in auto-focus mode when trying to focus on moving images such as a bird in the sky and to change the ISO, white balance, metering etc it's all done through software which is a slight negative but hey we can't have everything! I will have a review of some online reviews of the current Pantax kit and will be prepared for when I attend the show this weekend.