Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Coming from many years of 35mm film use, and being very accustomed to the "full-frame" FOV, for me the simplest way to get a "feel" for a lens on an APS-C DSLR is to just multiply. If I recall correctly, with Pentax it is actually the lens focal length x 1.53 to get the APS-C FOV.

I got to remembering my early cameras, all bought new, the first one being when there was no automatic anything. After about 6 years of shooting with an all-manual Vivitar SLR having a screw mount, then another 8 years or so shooting with two Pentax ME Supers, having a wondrous (to me) Aperture-Priority Auto exposure mode, then my first AF body was the SF1n, which I enjoyed but still hung on to my little ME Supers. Eventually I upgraded to a Pentax PZ-1p in 1997, and I was at first mystified. I had no idea what Av and Tv meant! I looked at it and thought- "this is way too complicated, so I don't think I'll like it." I had to first find out that Av means Aperture value, and Tv means Time value or shutter speed. By using the then-excellent manual provided, I found that there were other very well-designed uses for the same dials. I soon realized that this "over-complicated" beast was easily the fastest-operating, easiest-to-use, most efficient and most advanced camera I had ever experienced. All current Pentax DSLRs are actually still largely based on that marvelous design.

So if you at first find the complexities daunting, don't be alarmed- rather embrace the marvelous control set you have at your fingertips. If no manual comes with your K-5, I highly recommend downloading one form the Pentax website, and print it if you wish. Manuals have not lately been written with the clarity of the one for the PZ-1p, especially regarding the Pentax Hyper System, but they are still very useful. And, of course we will be here also.