Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Upgrading from K-r - K-s2 or K70?

Hi folks!

I'm looking to upgrade my camera body and have been considering between the K-s2 and K70.

I have been traveling a bit more frequently and would appreciate something that is a bit more sturdy and reliable than my K-r which i've been having a hard time using due to aperture problems. I primarily take pictures of family and friends at get-togethers, scenery & street photography when traveling, and occasionally, portraits for folks who have fashion/travel blogs.
Currently leaning towards the K70 but I've been looking into purchasing another len as i've been primarly using the 50mm f1.4; looking for something a bit wider which is why i'm considering the lower-priced K-s2 but not sure if it's worth it to just invest in the K70.

I currently use:
FA 50mm f/1.4 prime
K-r body

Thoughts? Other models I should consider?
Your opinions are much appreciated!

-Lea

I've been staring at these comparisons between the K70, Ks2, and K3ii if you'd like to have a quick look: Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-S2 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by lea828; 10-03-2017 at 04:20 PM.
10-03-2017, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any of them would be a huge improvement over the Kr, but if you're needing to save a bit any of them as a kit with the 18-135 would make you a heck of a kit.
10-03-2017, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K70 is a slightly better camera/sensor/features/performance, but if your budget is tight, you will get much more value with more or better lenses than a slightly better camera. The K-S2ʻs 20MP is a significant upgrade from the K-rʻs 12MP and given your explanation, I would get the K-S2 and another lens vs. just a K-70 body only.
10-03-2017, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-70 has really, really good image quality. I'd say the premium is worth it. Probably the best value currently in the Pentax lineup

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2017, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If weather resistance is an issue or might become one in the future, go for the K-70 for the weather sealing. Then save for some good Water Resistant glass. You could always split the difference and get a used K-50 on the forum but if I hadn't found a great deal on my K-50 I would have gone for the K-70 for the extra pixels in the same size sensor.
10-03-2017, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a ks2 and love it.
I just looked at this weeks deal round up. $500 ks2 with 18-50, vs $850 k70 with 18-135. I would take the 18-135 lens and the k70. I don't know what you can get the ks2 for without the lens. At about $200-250 difference in price for body alone its a push.
10-03-2017, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The K-70 has some incredibly good image quality. It's worth the extra $100 over the K-S2.

10-03-2017, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If weather resistance is an issue or might become one in the future, go for the K-70 for the weather sealing.
K-S2 is weather-sealed too. (You might be thinking of the K-S1, which isn't.)

Lea there are quite a few threads on Pentax Forums comparing the K-S2 and the K-70. For example:
Should I buy a second K-S2 or a K-70 - PentaxForums.com
K-S2 vs K-70 - $100 difference or a lot more? - PentaxForums.com
Buying advice - K-S2 (or wait for K-70) for K-5 user - PentaxForums.com

And here's a comprehensive comparison of the differences between the K-S2 and the K-70: Comparison: Pentax K-70 vs Pentax K-S2 - Which one to get

Most of the basics are the same. Same battery, same metering, same autofocus through the viewfinder, two control wheels, flippy screen (great feature), no AA-filter on either (makes a noticeable difference in detail). Some of the notable differences are that the K-70 has a 24mp sensor (v 20mp), 14-bit RAW (v 12-bit), pixel shift, better AF in live view, continuous AF in video, and better image stabilization.

How much these differences matter to you is something you will have to decide. If the difference is only $100, as suggested above, the K-70 looks like better value. But the K-S2 is still a very good camera, and would be a big upgrade from the K-r.

However the other thing that the specs don't show is the feel of the cameras. I have a K-S2 and I don't find it as comfortable to hold as either the K-30 or the K-3. But then my partner prefers it to either of those - many other women might find the same. The feel of the K-S2 might also be more like the feel of the K-r (I don't know, the K-r looks a similar size). If you can get your hands on them, it will help you decide. There might be some forum members in your area who would be happy to let you try their camera.

One other small thing. K-S2 comes in white and some other colours, K-70 is black (or silver?) only. I have a white K-S2 and I've come to like it. People don't find it as intimidating.
10-05-2017, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
K-S2 is weather-sealed too. (You might be thinking of the K-S1, which isn't.)

Lea there are quite a few threads on Pentax Forums comparing the K-S2 and the K-70. For example:
Should I buy a second K-S2 or a K-70 - PentaxForums.com
K-S2 vs K-70 - $100 difference or a lot more? - PentaxForums.com
Buying advice - K-S2 (or wait for K-70) for K-5 user - PentaxForums.com

And here's a comprehensive comparison of the differences between the K-S2 and the K-70: Comparison: Pentax K-70 vs Pentax K-S2 - Which one to get

Most of the basics are the same. Same battery, same metering, same autofocus through the viewfinder, two control wheels, flippy screen (great feature), no AA-filter on either (makes a noticeable difference in detail). Some of the notable differences are that the K-70 has a 24mp sensor (v 20mp), 14-bit RAW (v 12-bit), pixel shift, better AF in live view, continuous AF in video, and better image stabilization.

How much these differences matter to you is something you will have to decide. If the difference is only $100, as suggested above, the K-70 looks like better value. But the K-S2 is still a very good camera, and would be a big upgrade from the K-r.

However the other thing that the specs don't show is the feel of the cameras. I have a K-S2 and I don't find it as comfortable to hold as either the K-30 or the K-3. But then my partner prefers it to either of those - many other women might find the same. The feel of the K-S2 might also be more like the feel of the K-r (I don't know, the K-r looks a similar size). If you can get your hands on them, it will help you decide. There might be some forum members in your area who would be happy to let you try their camera.

One other small thing. K-S2 comes in white and some other colours, K-70 is black (or silver?) only. I have a white K-S2 and I've come to like it. People don't find it as intimidating.
Thanks so much for those links! I wish I had caught those before. If I start staring at my list between the K70 and K-S2 for too long, I think i'll go forward with getting a feel for the different cameras; these Youtube videos don't help with that very much
10-05-2017, 02:33 AM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lea828 Quote
Thanks so much for those links! I wish I had caught those before. If I start staring at my list between the K70 and K-S2 for too long, I think i'll go forward with getting a feel for the different cameras; these Youtube videos don't help with that very much
Happy to help. Honestly, there's no wrong answer. Any differences in the images from the two cameras are mostly going to be marginal. (The notable exception being the pixel shift feature in the K-70, if you photograph things that don't move and use a tripod. That does produce noticeably more detail.) You might have seen that last month's photo contest was won by an image taken with a K-30. The differences between lenses matter more than camera bodies, by and large, and both are eclipsed by skills.