Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Help! vivitar 283 on K-1000 SLR

Hi all, this is my second post asking for help to learn about SLR

first of all, thank you guys. people helped me on last post!!! what a great community!

anyway, so I got K-1000 as gift. and I purchased vivitar 283 and I realized I never used manual flash before. and there are not many of tutorial videos(hard to understand in written format)

so here are the questions

Q my vivitar 283 has auto thyristor and I saw people recommned to get one with auto thyristor. what does it do? and what is benefit of it?

Q important question: I know I need to set my shutter speed on 60(which has x on it) and change F to shoot the photo. but what are the colors on the side of auto thyristor dial? there are red blue green purple color shows whenever I rotate.

Q some people sell extra cable with vivitar 283. Do I need to get one? and what is it for?

Q I believe number on side of angler(?) indicates ISO? If I dial and change does it affect on strength of flash?

Thank you so much for reading!

10-06-2017, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The auto thyristor is basically an exposure meter built into the flash. It operates on the assumption that your aperture is set in such a way as to balance the ISO of your film, and then measures the light bouncing back from the subject. When it's determined there's enough, it shuts itself off.

Instruction manual online: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/vivitar_flashes/283flash.pdf
10-06-2017, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The colors on the flash indicate distance for a f stop. The sensor on the front of flash should rotate to different colors. You match the colors to your f stop chosen.
The cable you talk of is for off camera flash. I use one, that way I can put the light where I want it.
Flash speed can vary some but you won't hardly notice a difference in exposure. The f stop will change your exposure noticeably .
Distance from subject will effect exposure also.
Once you get the hang of a manual flash they can't be beat. I sold my Pentax AF360 because I liked the manual flash better
I don't use my 283 on digi unless I have a wein safe sync attached to camera. too much voltage
Good Luck
10-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Q my vivitar 283 has auto thyristor and I saw people recommned to get one with auto thyristor. what does it do? and what is benefit of it?
In simplest terms, the auto thyristor (when in auto, not manual mode) measures the flash reflected off the subject, and adjusts the power of the flash to give you a normal exposure off the closest object in your shot.

Q I know I need to set my shutter speed on 60(which has x on it) and change F to shoot the photo. but what are the colors on the side of auto thyristor dial? there are red blue green purple color shows whenever I rotate.
The colors show you various options of flash range distances with certain f/stops. You need to match the color to the range-f/stop that fits your needs to the dial in the front.

Q some people sell extra cable with vivitar 283. Do I need to get one? and what is it for?
Does your K1000 have a ʻhot shoeʻ? On top of the pentaprism, where you attach the flash, if there is round metal contact for the where the flash attaches, then you do not need a pc sync cable. If the cameraʻs shoe is just plain metal all the way across, there are no electrical contacts and you need to use a PC sync cable between the flash and the X sync socket on the camera.

Q I believe number on side of angler(?) indicates ISO? If I dial and change does it affect on strength of flash?
No. Not really. It just helps the dial to show you what distance range and f/stop is appropriate for any given color setting. Notice how the bigger range requires a bigger aperture and the closer range allows a smaller aperture? When you change the ISO, it just changes the allowable range distances and associate aperture for that range.

Back in 1970 when the 283 was introduced, we used slide rulers. It wasnʻt until my senior year in high school that I got a TI-30 calculator (1977). So much of the dials on pre-LCD flash units were just to help like a slide ruler.

10-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
The colors on the flash indicate distance for a f stop. The sensor on the front of flash should rotate to different colors. You match the colors to your f stop chosen.
The cable you talk of is for off camera flash. I use one, that way I can put the light where I want it.
Flash speed can vary some but you won't hardly notice a difference in exposure. The f stop will change your exposure noticeably .
Distance from subject will effect exposure also.
Once you get the hang of a manual flash they can't be beat. I sold my Pentax AF360 because I liked the manual flash better
I don't use my 283 on digi unless I have a wein safe sync attached to camera. too much voltage
Good Luck
I see! thank you thazooo!
10-06-2017, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This ^ ^ ^

The download is free, though a donation is suggested if you find it useful.

The Vivitar 283 is very easy to use and even easier if you have the manual. The extra cable is for use with the PC sync fitting found on many cameras.* Your K1000 has a PC fitting, but it is preferable to and handier to use the hot shoe on top of your camera unless the flash is mounted to a bracket and not on the hot shoe.

There is only one control on the flash that does anything other than assist with calculations. That is the knob on the front of the flash that sets the sensitivity of the light sensor that controls flash duration for "automatic" operation. Manual operation is similar to modern speed lights except that the 283 only fires full strength in manual mode. In manual mode, one must calculate the appropriate lens aperture using the calculator on the side of the flash or the table in the manual or doing the math in one's head or with a hand-held calculator.

Steve

* There was also an optional remote sensor with attached cable that allows the flash to be triggered as a slave, but I believe those are rather uncommon.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.
10-07-2017, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Good Luck
OP did say he's using a K1000, so he should be good to go, but the warning is worthwhile for any digicam users considering this flash.