Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2017, 10:46 AM - 3 Likes   #16
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The video output on Pentax isn't inferior to others, it's more the feature set which may lack a few things depending on what you need it for. I find my K1 has everything I need exept ibis. Does the KS2 have video ibis?
IIRC this clip was shot on a K5iis and K1:

10-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
I almost never shoot video.
I just picked up a KS2. The video and the sound were pretty darn good! Is the quality really that inferior to other DSLRs?
Whether comparing still or video hardware, first and foremost, the quality of anything is more dependent on the photographer/videographer's skills and technique than the gear. The right tripod, good lighting, and your manual focusing skills are key.

Objectively, Sony, Canon, and Lumix are better for shooting video, but depending on the users expectations, Pentax and Nikon work fine. If video was my main thing, mirrorless or DSLRs would not be my first choice.

All this to say, you don't buy a sports car or a truck and complain about the sound system; but many people do have different priorities. Video on Pentax has improved and I think for most of us that shoot 95% stills and 5% video, it's more than adequate.
10-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quite a few of us have enjoyed the results from "mechanical" sensor shake reduction, as offered on earlier models such as the K7, K5 and K5II/s ..... The use of an external mic removes any concerns over recording sounds from the autofocus or aperture systems within the lenses (which was the key reason given by Ricoh for removing the feature in more recent models) ....

I remember an interview some time back with a Ricoh exec, when he said this sensor SR would be re-enabled for video mode on recent models via firmware. But it's not come yet...... If they would get on with that they would likely win back confidence and customers for Video, who often value Manual focus film era lenses for video.
10-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
The video output on Pentax isn't inferior to others, it's more the feature set which may lack a few things depending on what you need it for. I find my K1 has everything I need exept ibis. Does the KS2 have video ibis?
IIRC this clip was shot on a K5iis and K1:
Föderation Vovinam Viet Vo Dao Deutschland 2017 (HQ) - YouTube
Agreed. Nice video with good editing. I especially like your rack focus and shallow depth-of-field shots. Thanks for sharing.

10-08-2017, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also..."Pentax" is used almost every day when I shoot...as on my Sony A6500. So much beautiful APS-C glass, with quick shift, make for perfect follow focus and lens gears. So while I may not use my K1 or K3 as much for video these days, I pretty much have Pentax glass on everything. Aside from some Osmo and me flying my drone indoors...this is all Pentax glass on a Sony A6500.

I shoot all kinds of pieces during my day/week...and Pentax is always there in some form...always.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 10-08-2017 at 11:49 PM.
10-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I can't understand what I did wrong when I used my k-3II video. The whole episode was about 30 minutes. after about 15 minutes it seemed to have a blink and then continued. Then it happened after about 5 to 8 minutes. Was it because of an overheating sensor?
10-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I can't understand what I did wrong when I used my k-3II video. The whole episode was about 30 minutes. after about 15 minutes it seemed to have a blink and then continued. Then it happened after about 5 to 8 minutes. Was it because of an overheating sensor?
dSLR video tops out with clips nearing the 15 minute mark, so maybe the recording stopped because of that. Many people assume a dSLR can record unlimited files of video, or keep going as a movie camera would. I always use two dSLR cameras (when I am shooting long interviews or such) and start and stop the video at 10 minute intervals to be sure I don't have that issue. Also overlap when you start and stop.

The K3 cameras are pretty robust when it comes to overheating.
Unless you are outside in the sun or in a hot climate, it's probably not the heating of the sensor.

10-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Thank you LaurenOE. That must be it. So now in case straight documentation, I'll use a video can.
10-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Thank you LaurenOE. That must be it. So now in case straight documentation, I'll use a video can.
Yep. I shoot with a ton of different cameras. Everything from a Sony FS7 to an Osmo to an old Canon Vixia. There is no "best camera" out there.