Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2017, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Pentax video: is it really that lousy?

A small disclaimer: though I am a somewhat experienced photographer with a few years under my belt, I almost never shoot video.

So, I just picked up a KS2. I was hanging out with my parents and my daughter at the park, my dad was pushing his granddaughter on the swing. I put the camera in auto mode and let it rip. The video and the sound were pretty darn good! Is the quality really that inferior to other DSLRs?

10-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's good for what they put in it and will be good for your "general shooting" type of work (light/minimal video editing).
10-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I would not buy a Pentax for video. For video, I use Sony, who have been doing video for longer.
10-07-2017, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
The video and the sound were pretty darn good! Is the quality really that inferior to other DSLRs?
You've just made yourself quite unpopular with some for saying that. Topten!

10-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Its OK for 2012 standards...LaurenOE has shot outstanding video with Pentax.

Other Dslrs that have up to date video(4K) are not that great.

5Dmk4 has an oudated codec and crops the sensor a lot.

The "magic" recent Nikon isnt great @ AF....if you believe TCS youtube review, looks OK from TNs youtube comparison with GH5 and A7r2.

Good video is done by most recent Panasonics(even the compact footage is good).
10-07-2017, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are happy with it then that is all that matters.
10-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If you are happy with it then that is all that matters.
Good comment.

10-07-2017, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its OK for 2012 standards...LaurenOE has shot outstanding video with Pentax.

Other Dslrs that have up to date video(4K) are not that great.

5Dmk4 has an oudated codec and crops the sensor a lot.

The "magic" recent Nikon isnt great @ AF....if you believe TCS youtube review, looks OK from TNs youtube comparison with GH5 and A7r2.

Good video is done by most recent Panasonics(even the compact footage is good).
Yep.

---------- Post added 10-07-17 at 08:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep.
I still watch for the "Pentax video sucks" threads, but I stay away because it's overwhelming to counteract real-life usage against perceptions. So many times perception rules. Pentax, does great video. It's all about technique.
10-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I still watch for the "Pentax video sucks" threads, but I stay away because it's overwhelming to counteract real-life usage against perceptions. So many times perception rules. Pentax, does great video. It's all about technique.
Fair comment. I don't do much video, and I have the luxury of having a Sony video camera (and a Bloggie), but the remark about "technique" is spot on.
10-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think it more depends how much PP you plan on doing. Straight OOC, Pentax video is fine. If you really need to push and pull the file, less compressed files have more info to work with.
10-07-2017, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #11
bxf
Veteran Member

Oh, come on people! Don't you all know by now that all video taken with technology lesser than the current state of the art (and that includes all videos and films of previous years), is useless and totally unwatchable? Jeez!
10-07-2017, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Oh, come on people! Don't you all know by now that all video taken with technology lesser than the current state of the art (and that includes all videos and films of previous years), is useless and totally unwatchable? Jeez!

I know!! I'll never watch Evil Dead II again!! 😂
10-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #13

Film is the new video just ask Kodak!

10-08-2017, 03:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tbh, last time I compared video 1 to 1, a k-50 and a 6D. I found the K-50 to have had much smoother footage.
But I don't know if that's a fair comparison, I really don't know where in canons line-up the 6D was..

On the K-1 I sometimes use video and haven't had anything to complain about yet, especially the sound seems to be unnaturally good for a built in mic. You can throw some drumming at it and that works perfectly too, as does birdsong.
10-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

To do video properly is extremely difficult. I have done a bit and my skills don't take full advantage of what the K1 offers or the K3 did. But I've managed to get some interesting shots; on tripod most of the time.

I was bumping the limits of the K3 using long lenses, have a ways to go with the K1 with stills. With video any lack is in my ability.