Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K20 lives!

My old K20 is hobbling along, but still kicking. After turning down the offer for a $300 aperture fix, I decided to turn it into a dedicated black/white digital machine.

First, thanks to the fine folks over at this thread, I learned I could still use the K20. Perfect! So, I bought a K&F screw mount adapter and popped on the Super-Tak 135/2.5 (with which I am smitten).

I then used the settings as outlined here to turn the body into a b/w expert. Thanks Arjay Bee!

It's been a lot of fun so far. First off, I'm relieved that the camera can be put to use instead of being scrapped. Second, it's kind of cool to shoot in B/W mode. I thought it would be kind of gimmicky, but I have no intention of changing the settings any time soon. The set up with the manual lens has its challenges, but I don't mind. And AV mode is hit/miss, so I set it to manual mostly. It's actually fun to guess at the correct settings instead of relying on a meter. Makes me think about light more.

Here are a few early examples using on-camera flash:

Last edited by nnyorkie; 10-09-2017 at 02:06 PM.
10-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a SHELTIE in the middle. We're on our third. Not sure we'll live long enough for another.
10-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's a SHELTIE in the middle. We're on our third. Not sure we'll live long enough for another.
Yup, that's Chip. He's our fourth. A great breed, even though a little vocal.
10-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nnyorkie Quote
Yup, that's Chip. He's our fourth. A great breed, even though a little vocal.
The breeder from whom I got my sweetie (Maddy) had neighbors intolerant of barking, so she had all the puppies debarked ASAP. Maddy went through all the motions of barking, but all that came out was huff-huff-huff. Our three Shelties have had entirely different personalities.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-09-2017 at 02:58 PM.
10-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Using your K20 for B&W is an awesome idea! The old lenses work great for this.

Shelties are the greatest. We have three of the barkers!
10-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

The breeder from whom I god my sweetie (Maddy) had neighbors intolerant of barking, so she had all the puppies debarked ASAP. Maddy went through all the motions of barking, but all that came out was huff-huff-huff. Our three Shelties have had entirely different personalities.
I know this isn't Pentax related, but I had to comment on the "de-barking" of your shelties. I have a rescue Weimeraner that had his vocal cords cut. We got him when he was 7 he is now nearly 9. He is in great shape, but with one very bad habit. He thinks he has to protect us from all other dogs. Since he doesn't bark and doesn't growl, other dogs come up to him while on his leash with us walking him. We try and keep them away, but if they show even the least sign of aggressiveness i.e. jumps up, runs at us quickly etc, he attacks. There is no warning, no growl, nothing. He is not afraid of any dog, and has taking on dogs twice his size. We are certain that if he could vocalize, that most of these issues wouldn't happen. The previous own also doc'd his tail. So it is had to tell if it wagging in a friendly manner or a warning being only 3 inches long. He is not aggressive to humans, but cats, rabbits, and small dogs are just game to him. Other dogs are to be driven away because they are on his territory. We tried to socialize him at a dog park. The first two days were fine. He ran and played with every dog, small and large. Then one dog 20 - 30 pounds bigger and off of his leash, attacked our dog while he was still on his leash. In two seconds, he had the other dog down and was ripping his face apart. Luckily I was able to pull him off of the other dog in about 3 seconds, but the other dog needed stitches to repair his cheek. Everyone at the park agreed my dog was just defending himself. Now it is hit an miss whether he will play or not. So he no longer gets to go to dog parks, but only on walks on a leash.

Don't cut your dog's vocal cords. It makes it doubly hard for other dogs and you to socialize them, especially if you dog is one who is breed to protect and hunt.
10-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kchamber4 Quote
I . . . Don't cut your dog's vocal cords . . .
Wow. I didn't even know people did that. I thought "cage training" was cruel. But I don't have a dog -- I'm not an "animal lover," so most of this doesn't apply to me anyway.

---------- Post added 10-09-17 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nnyorkie Quote
My old K20 . . . I decided to turn it into a dedicated black/white digital machine. . .
Why black-and-white, per se?
10-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The breeder who had her Sheltie puppies debarked really had little choice, as Shelties are notoriously talkative and her neighbor quick to complain to the authorities. Maddy's vet told me at some point that she had started refusing to do debarking operations, thinking it akin to de-clawing an outdoor cat. Maddy was far too gentle a soul ever to challenge or stand up to some other dog; she never understood the concept of "territory, or "alpha." She loved people, wanted to meet and be petted by every one.

10-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Wow. I didn't even know people did that. I thought "cage training" was cruel. But I don't have a dog -- I'm not an "animal lover," so most of this doesn't apply to me anyway.

---------- Post added 10-09-17 at 04:50 PM ----------

Why black-and-white, per se?
Apparently, the vocal cord cutting is more common than we might think, especially with Shelties because they can be yippers. We'd never do it personally, though it's interesting to note that it can be done in degrees; it's not an all-or-nothing operation. I agree that it seems cruel and unnecessary.

As for the black/white, I've always had a love of it, and though I've used the B/W preset in the K20, it wasn't until I read the thread noted above that I decided to revisit this option. With a few extra tweaks to the settings, the instant review images are crisp and full of contrast. Now I can immediately see what the image will look like instead of playing with the settings after the fact.
10-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Glad you are finding a new joy with your k20. Those old manual lenses really are fun. The flange on the adapter will prevent focus to infinity but you are getting great photos. Long live the k20.
10-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Glad you are finding a new joy with your k20. Those old manual lenses really are fun. The flange on the adapter will prevent focus to infinity but you are getting great photos. Long live the k20.
How much usable (necessary?) focus range does that typically take off a lens?
10-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Yeah, I've noticed that. But it gets pretty close.
11-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Forum Member

The breeder who had her Sheltie puppies debarked really had little choice, as Shelties are notoriously talkative and her neighbor quick to complain to the authorities. Maddy's vet told me at some point that she had started refusing to do debarking operations, thinking it akin to de-clawing an outdoor cat. Maddy was far too gentle a soul ever to challenge or stand up to some other dog; she never understood the concept of "territory, or "alpha." She loved people, wanted to meet and be petted by every one.
If she has to do that to her puppies then she shouldnt be a breeder, and I certainly wouldnt
buy a dog from her. Period.