Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If by some "technically" your warranty claim is denied, you might want to check if you used a credit card for the camera purchase. Some credit cards include 1 year of warranty beyond that of the manufacturer.

10-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
If by some "technically" your warranty claim is denied, you might want to check if you used a credit card for the camera purchase. Some credit cards include 1 year of warranty beyond that of the manufacturer.
Unfortunately I paid with a debit card hope Pentax won't pull a cheap "technicality" on me. I might not be buying a ton of gear every year, but in a span of a year I spent more than 3k on my equipment and I was pretty enthusiastic about the new dfa lenses I was saving up for. This doesn't give me great confidence in supporting a company that doesn't support me.
10-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes.. an extended warranty is a gamble and one in don't take ordinarily, however, I have been told that one shouldn't gamble with money they don't have. I don't have $2000 to replace a K-1 so I paid the few dollars additional to avoid that possibility. It's nothing more than insurance. We pay the premium in hopes that we'll never have to collect the benefit.
10-10-2017, 03:36 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I purchased Pentax (Ricoh) Extended Warranty of Interchangeable Lens & Cameras. Not Newleaf, not squaretrade, original first party Pentax warranty. And yes, i have the Adorama receipt, but it cuts off the word "Cameras", my Pentax rep spoke about this, so I'm guessing it could be the reason for the delay and uncertainty. But it could be something else, that's the frustrating part, after a month I still have no answers.
Can you go to Adorama website and get your receipt online? If you setup a profile when you made the purchase you should be able to get a copy online from their website.

10-10-2017, 05:07 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless, ... the $150 one I bought for my daughter's $2000 Dell laptop in 2004 that provided two serious repairs and two total replacements
Yes, it can work out well, but that is by chance. It is like someone who has just won a jackpot from a one-armed bandit (it does happen) saying that playing one-armed bandits is good business. On average it is not.
10-10-2017, 06:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Can you go to Adorama website and get your receipt online? If you setup a profile when you made the purchase you should be able to get a copy online from their website.
I did find a confirmation with a full title, sent it to my representative, thanks for the tip. Hope it helps.
10-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok quick update, Ricoh rep called me and told me they will honor the extended warranty, so I guess that's sorted out. Now, apparently camera was already shipped out, I'm guessing they've had their own conversations and let me know post fact. I'm trying to figure out if they've specifically looked at the issue I sent the camera for, meaning hot pixels in shadows, because they did lose documentation that contained the link to the file I shared in this thread together with the explanation of the problem. I don't know how extensively they test the cameras, giving the massive amount of cameras they repair I don't have high hopes for it. I've called precision, they told me they returned all functions to normal, but the rep on the phone didn't know if they looked into hot pixels since they don't have detailed reports of the repairs. I asked her to call the technicians and ask if they did, I will be rather upset if I get the camera back in the same exact state I sent it in basically wasting a month of my time/nerves. It's too bad there's no direct line of communication with people repairing the cameras, everything has to go through reps that simply don't know any details of the case and just tell you updates that you can find on their website anyway..

10-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #23

It's too bad there's no direct line of communication with people repairing the cameras, everything has to go through reps that simply don't know any details of the case and just tell you updates that you can find on their website anyway..
Would you rather have the tech spending all their time on the phone or working on your equipment?
10-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Would you rather have the tech spending all their time on the phone or working on your equipment?
I would rather have an email address I can send something with the tag number that can be looked at by the tech so he knows what he needs to look for.
10-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Yes, it can work out well, but that is by chance.
No, it was by savvy and appreciation of obvious high value. In 2004, laptop computers were one of a handful of items for which a maintenance contract or extended warranty were generally indicated. In regards to the Pentax extension, at one time conventional wisdom on here at Pentax Forums was that anyone given the opportunity should buy the extension. To not do so if one was aware was just plain stupid.

May I ask your opinion about things like car insurance?

Steve
10-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately I paid with a debit card hope Pentax won't pull a cheap "technicality" on me. I might not be buying a ton of gear every year, but in a span of a year I spent more than 3k on my equipment and I was pretty enthusiastic about the new dfa lenses I was saving up for. This doesn't give me great confidence in supporting a company that doesn't support me.
I bought my K50 with Amex, when it broke out of Pentax warranty, Amex refunded the purchase price. If the debit card has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it then it might cover extra year warranty. Call your bank to get more details, it might come in handy when you need it.

Anyway seems like you sorted this out.
10-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
I bought my K50 with Amex, when it broke out of Pentax warranty, Amex refunded the purchase price. If the debit card has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it then it might cover extra year warranty. Call your bank to get more details, it might come in handy when you need it.

Anyway seems like you sorted this out.
Good tip, i wasn't aware of it. I did sort out the warranty repair being honored, but now I'm worried if they have looked at the issues I noted, so far I don't see anything except general "return to factory specs", hopefully it involves the hot pixels. I'll see when I get my camera back, fingers crossed.
10-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #28
Pentaxian

... they don't have detailed reports of the repairs ...
I think Precision routinely ignores the problem description and runs through a prescribed series of tests. My warranty lens repair went back and forth to them because of this. I had a slow aperture that only showed itself at fast shutter speeds plus small apertures. They kept sending it back, without contacting me first, as "cleaned and restored to spec". They never followed my note for easily replicating the problem until I contacted Ricoh directly.
10-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I think Precision routinely ignores the problem description and runs through a prescribed series of tests. My warranty lens repair went back and forth to them because of this. I had a slow aperture that only showed itself at fast shutter speeds plus small apertures. They kept sending it back, without contacting me first, as "cleaned and restored to spec". They never followed my note for easily replicating the problem until I contacted Ricoh directly.
Ugh, not good. Im starting to feel I'm going to have to send it back to them right away lol. What a waste of time and money..
10-10-2017, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, it was by savvy and appreciation of obvious high value. In 2004, laptop computers were one of a handful of items for which a maintenance contract or extended warranty were generally indicated. In regards to the Pentax extension, at one time conventional wisdom on here at Pentax Forums was that anyone given the opportunity should buy the extension. To not do so if one was aware was just plain stupid.

May I ask your opinion about things like car insurance?

Steve
You once wrote something like 6% of dSLR’s have a failure in the first year. I bought the full K-1 Extended Warranty, but I’d rather have paid $25 and assumed liability for the first, say, $250 of repair cost.

My Homowner’s Insurance has a $2,500 Deductible. My Auto has $1,000 - which I would set higher but I drive as a volunteer for a charity and their Group Liability coverage won’t allow a higher deductible.

Essentially I would self-insure for the routine failure and warrant a catastrophic failure.