Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ok so I got the camera back. From first glace nothing has been fixed, I'm guessing they didn't read my note at all and just did the standard tests. I just tested 240s exposure, iso 800 replicating the image settings I ran into issues with, and I see a ton of hot pixels all over the image. Frustration never ends, I wasted a MONTH of my life waiting and going back and forth with Precision and Pentax. Weirdly though, I sent my camera with no accessories included, and they sent the camera back with a Pentax battery and a hotshoe cover. Consolation prize? Anyway, they have 60 day warranty on repairs, I'm going to have to send it back at some point during this time to try to resolve it. Gonna call the Pentax rep.

---------- Post added 10-11-17 at 10:14 AM ----------

Might be placebo effect, but lenses seem to be focusing better, especially my tamron 70-200. didn't even dial in any focal corrections.

10-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Ok so I got the camera back. From first glace nothing has been fixed, I'm guessing they didn't read my note at all and just did the standard tests. I just tested 240s exposure, iso 800 replicating the image settings I ran into issues with, and I see a ton of hot pixels all over the image. Frustration never ends, I wasted a MONTH of my life waiting and going back and forth with Precision and Pentax. Weirdly though, I sent my camera with no accessories included, and they sent the camera back with a Pentax battery and a hotshoe cover. Consolation prize? Anyway, they have 60 day warranty on repairs, I'm going to have to send it back at some point during this time to try to resolve it. Gonna call the Pentax rep.

---------- Post added 10-11-17 at 10:14 AM ----------

Might be placebo effect, but lenses seem to be focusing better, especially my tamron 70-200. didn't even dial in any focal corrections.
May be call it a day and call your card company, explain your case, they might be able to help you out. If you are lucky and they refund money, get a new camera and forget this all happened.

Use this camera for all mean work, give it to kids, let them drag it along, shoot in extreme wet conditions etc lol.

And oh, did you try the pixel mapping option from within the camera menu?
10-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
May I ask your opinion about things like car insurance?
It makes sense to insure against costs you might have to pay and could not afford without a lot of hardship. A car accident could leave you with a bill of several $millions, so it is logical to insure against it*. Likewise I insure my house. OTOH, if my camera needed a $350 repair, I'd just pay it. and even if the camera were stolen I would simply buy a new one as I could afford it. I would thus be acting as my own insurance company. If I could not afford to replace my camera I'd carry on with one of my other cameras, or just do without. I do not depend on owning a camera.

As an example, London Transport (who ran London's buses until 2000, and for whom I worked at the time) did not insure its buses**. If a bus caused an accident they simply paid the damages; being a very large organisation they could afford it. It was cheaper for them overall than using an insurance company.

* Car insurance is a legal requirement where I am.
** It required a special dispensation from the Department of Transport. Not anyone could do it.
10-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
May be call it a day and call your card company, explain your case, they might be able to help you out. If you are lucky and they refund money, get a new camera and forget this all happened.

Use this camera for all mean work, give it to kids, let them drag it along, shoot in extreme wet conditions etc lol.

And oh, did you try the pixel mapping option from within the camera menu?
Well, I might not be able to do so because I used a debit card issued by a small local bank, I don't believe they have this feature. I've spoken with Precision, they said I can try to send it in again anytime within next 2 years since they honored my extended warranty and try to get it fixed. I might do so come winter, want to use the camera for now. AF seems to be improved, still not sure if it's just a placebo or what.

The shutter shock wasn't fixed, but I didn't have high hopes for it anyway, I'm guessing it's just this lens/camera combo that exhibits the issue. I might actually sell the lens and get the dfa 24-70 when I have spare money, I always wanted a 2.8 zoom anyway.

For now I'll turn the NR on and use it as I was using it for the past year.

Thanks for everyone's input!