Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #1

really important firmware suggestions

since the thread from beholder3 has "sunk to the ocean floor"

Its maybe time to start over and keep this topic alive.... because we should consider that more important, than talking rumors to death.

so here are few things that come to my mind immediately when i think about my Pentax bodies and modifications that are possible by a bit of firmware tinkering:

Live-View Time-Out Value changeable by user!!!! godd... i hate that, when I am doing studio work and that darn display goes back to info screen...

Thats something so essential...

and i dont have the slightest clue why there should be a sense in this behaviour that, the camera refuses to alter the ISO Value when i hold the ISO-Button on my K-70 backup-body and turn its "front e-dial"... *headshake*
That would really come in handy when one wants to keep his/her eye on the viewfinder while altering the ISO Value...

and another thing that totally freaks me out:
It is still not possible to lock/write-protect the pictures by pressing AE-L button when in review mode...

those are basic flaws...that really need attention. way before "RAW-Histograms??????" and "Catch-in-Focus with back Foc...???"

BTW: There should be an option to save "In-Camera RAW development settings" so you can apply them to other photos... or just an option screen when you are done, that asks you:
Do you want to develop other photos with the settings that now have been written to card? before it asks you:
"Continue developing?"

also rating the pix already in-cam right after shooting a series of pictures, would also be nice and not very difficult to program.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 10-22-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: remove masked swearing
10-22-2017, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
"Catch-in-Focus with back Foc...???"
You might get more sympathy without trashing features other feel are critical. Especially since none of your suggestions are particularly important to me.
those are basic flaws...that really need attention
And I will also disagree with that statement. Flaws are things that are wrong, not things you think should be different.
the camera refuses to alter the ISO Value when i hold the ISO-Button on my K-70 backup-body and turn its "front e-dial"
I don't have a K-70 but are you sure you have the e-dials programmed correctly? That works on all my cameras. If you do then I would agree that needs addressed. Of course I have my front e-dial programmed for ISO so maybe that is why it works for me.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 10-22-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: remove QUOTED masked swearing
10-22-2017, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

and i dont have the slightest clue why there should be a sense in this behaviour that, the camera refuses to alter the ISO Value when i hold the ISO-Button on my K-70 backup-body and turn its "front e-dial"... *headshake* That would really come in handy when one wants to keep his/her eye on the viewfinder while altering the ISO Value...
You can customize one of the e-dials to control this when in Av/Tv mode. Otherwise, just press the ISO button and turn the e-dial. There's no need to hold it down, as it's implemented differently than the flagship line.

As for the other suggestions, these sound like niche fixes rather than "big picture" changes that might motivate future development.

Along the lines of ratings, I agree that a more "connected" UI would be nice. Now that Wi-Fi is built in, there are lots of ways in which communication between the camera and PC/smartphone can be leveraged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2017, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the information of the OP from the Forum Rules post:
QuoteQuote:
Offensive/vulgar words and phrases are not allowed, even in masked form if the intended word(s) can be discerned.
Read more at: Welcome & Forum Rules - PentaxForums.com

10-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
those are basic flaws...
Yes, software feature can be improve, I agree. A good way to do this is to have a group of creative people who generate as much ideas as possible. Then, as a second step a group of people (jury) who evaluate if the idea is good and doable.

BTW: There should be an option to save "In-Camera RAW development settings" so you can apply them to other photos... or just an option screen when you are done, that asks you: Do you want to develop other photos with the settings that now have been written to card? before it asks you: "Continue developing?"
That's indirectly already there. You can have JPEG settings saved, and select a batch of photos , all selected raw will be converted with the same profiles. I'm not sure if that's written in the manual. I discovered this because I did not want to have jpeg conversion profiles saved (the opposite of what you ask) and so, I discovered that it is possible to have the profile saved for other photos or not.

---------- Post added 23-10-17 at 07:22 ----------

Live-View Time-Out Value changeable by user!!!!
Good idea. When delaying shutter snap, a programmable delay would also be more valuable than 2 sec. and 12 sec. But fixed values are more straightforward to set, so, that's a design choice.

---------- Post added 23-10-17 at 07:28 ----------

It is still not possible to lock/write-protect the pictures by pressing AE-L button when in review mode...
Honestly, this is not the best way to do and I can share my point of view with you. When we shoot photos, we don't know in advance what will be the right shot because of the nature of time continuously moving forward, therefore, at any point in time, we don't know what our best shot will be, the best shot might be in the future. I prefer to shot and focus on the outside of the camera (I know a friend who taped his LCD to avoid chimping), go home, and review the photos a few weeks later, lock the ones that pop out of the lot, and delete the rest.

---------- Post added 23-10-17 at 07:38 ----------

IMO, Sony (and mobile phones) have do more in software than in hardware, Pentax could steal some of those image processing ideas, examples:
- mutlishot technique for low light without tripod (basically it is tacking multiple shots at higher iso, then align and stack them). Pentax does autoalign for HDR, so they could do the same for low light multi-shot
- in-camera panorama stitching.
10-23-2017, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

...those are basic flaws...that really need attention. way before "RAW-Histograms??????" and "Catch-in-Focus with back Foc...???"...
Those 2 features you don't care about are more important to me than everything else in your list. I'm always shooting outside, never in a studio.

This thread will be another good example of product development challenges trying to determine features that make everyone happy and increase sales.
10-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As for the other suggestions, these sound like niche fixes rather than "big picture" changes that might motivate future development.
To make things clear:
I only wanted to bump some minds, to rethink what actually would make sense and I am glad, that at least Adam came up with something...
a more connected UI is one of those big picture things...and i am totally happy that someone dares to say that.

But actually I started this thread so users think about the small things, that really matter and add up... not so much the big-vision thread.
Though admittedly a more interconnected firmware is a nice thing to have...
I loved Samsungs NX1 firmware... although it looked a bit overloaded at first sight, everything had its place, was easy to find it looked and felt really clean and tidy and offered so much intuitivity...
and having something like TIZEN OS would open doors to real interconnectivity that nearly no other maker offers at the moment... chances are not so bad that we may go androidish somewhen in the future, since the bot landed on Theta already (in company with Qualcomm Snapdragon CPUs)

But all that is not the point, thing is this was really only meant to rethink where SMALL improvements could be made, (that some may think are niche or not important) but actually critical.

admitted: That behaviour I am used to (dialing in ISO with holding the button and turning the front e-dial) may be a taste-thing... (so it may be something that i want because I am used to do it that way, though same result can be achieved nearly as easy without holding it down.)

but I insist, that locking your pictures should be way easier.
and the easiest way would be to lock pictures by AE-L button press in Review-Mode

and this is in no way a niche improvement
... NEVER EVER.

and it's the same with Live-View Time-Out. godd.. just imagine, how I feel everytime I have an "out of house" product photography job...

and i set everything right, placed the product where i want it, changed some things on the table, and think "Ah... thank god, I dont have to touch the camera any more... now it should be perfect, just let me check back on the display, then i can release it with my remote...
back at the camera.... beeeeep. wrong thought. display back in info mode.

another thing that immediately comes to my mind, when thinkin about live-view:
The actual Live-View EV-behaviour....
There really should be an option to make the camera show an even lit Live-View Picture when the cam is set to M (manual mode) but the settings dialed in would underexpose...

Its nice to have that WYSIWYG LV... but it would be also nice to be able to turn that off and force the cam to always show an even lit picture in LV mode...
Because I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who prefers M mode in Studio when doing product photos.
And since most photographers that dont have a cornucopia, often work with flashguns instead of Studio-flashes that cost app. 1200 Dollars at least per unit.

So you dont have an adjustment-light.
... RESULT...?
---->>> having to switch ISO all the time and touching and touching and touching the camera again and again... If you ever did serious product photography, you will know, that the slightest movement of the frame can really nag at your nerves... If you have found your framing you will want to touch your cam as little as possible. Because even if you have a solid head and mounted it like rock solid. every time you attempt to touch the camera, your flow gets lost. and it opens the possibility to move something else. especially if you dont work in a hangar as big as a football field.

And it cant be that difficult to implement an option in the menu where one can turn ON and OFF EV always 0 in LV...
everybody who works stationary and often uses Live-View would appreciate those improvements sooner or later.

so, this is indeed essential.

another one that would also come to my mind, but even MHS renders that one not so important:
aperture preview instead of refocus on remotes 2nd button

and again: it would be one of the easiest things to accomplish, to make AE-L behave like LV button when you review your pictures, but just in a way that it locks... and how much can it cost to print a blue little key next to that button???
There is an old saying: Pennies add up to Pounds.

comprehension so far from what i can contribute:

adjustable Live-View Time-Outoption to turn off "setting-sensitive" LIVE-VIEW
lock pictures by AE-L button press in Review-Mode
option to turn on aperture preview instead of refocus on remotes 2nd button

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-23-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Edited to reduce argument - rest of post says all that is needed
10-28-2017, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Five requests, two of which might be remedied by some time with the user guide (p42, p109), one that appears to be useful for winnowing by exclusion (never occurred to me, but I am not everyone) or possibly using file lock as a flag of sorts, one of use to the in-camera power editor, and one more of general use for those that find the rear LCD suitable for more than just shallow evaluation (I sort of like this one, though implementation might be tedious without a touch screen).

The last three may be found by a simple change of brand, though probably not all three with the same brand. For example, Nikon supports "single button write lock", but not retention of NEF retouch settings. All in all the last three are not a bad wish list and one with sufficient validity to not require histrionics. Add in the drama and the value of the suggestions approaches zero...pity...
10-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW...The live view EV behavior is "evenly lit" unless EV is applied or in M mode.

Steve
11-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
Forum Member

I like the idea about using the "AE-L"ock button for locking the pix.
looks doable and easy.

the idea with the Live-View TimeOut also makes perfect sense... but the rest.. meh.

I would have another one.... The AF-Assist Light.

Threshold should be customisable and it should be possible to have the "SpotBeam" turn on permanent when focussing.
(yes that will consume power - but i don't think that's bad when its customizable) or let me at least set a threshold for at what amount of darkness it starts to jump in
and or customizable pulse rate or so.
Most of the times when I take photos in some club or music-pubs... the AF-Beam refuses to go on.

And that function (SB) got lost totally on my new backup body....(Pentax K-70) i dont have the slightest clue why they did that)...
11-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dunno if this is really important (or even whether posting here is best), but I would like to see the colour theme schemes on the KP and K-1 be able to be customised different colours to different User Modes, that way it can be quick and obvious which mode you are in due to the colour you have bound to that mode. Example, a mode set up to being optimised for working with kids could be Purple, and a Landscape set up mode Green etc. You get the idea. Currently when you change the colour scheme it is global and affects every User Mode.

Cheers,

Bruce
12-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
face detect button would be nice for quick selection.
03-12-2018, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Nikons "automated AF Fine Tune" would be a great software feature for Pentax AF cameras.
Maximum sharpness: Nikon's automated AF Fine Tune explained: Digital Photography Review
04-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #14

I really like the K1, and combined with the weight of my new 15-30mm lens, my biceps are also developing nicely!

Literally the only thing I don't like is that it is not possible to save RAW and JPG to the same card. With my KP I can check the files on the computer, and then copy or delete both files as required. With this, I have to go through the JPGs, copy the ones I like, then swap cards and copy those files across, checking afterwards that each file on the computer has both types.
04-12-2018, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by agp1337 Quote
Literally the only thing I don't like is that it is not possible to save RAW and JPG to the same card. With my KP I can check the files on the computer, and then copy or delete both files as required. With this, I have to go through the JPGs, copy the ones I like, then swap cards and copy those files across, checking afterwards that each file on the computer has both types.
It's not a firmware problem. You can check the manual (p. 43).