Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Shooting in continuous mode on the K10D in Raw was better than on the K100D - it would shoot two images, pause, then shoot two more, then pause, etc.
This is NOT normal. For K10D, a reasonably fast card (e.g. 60x) should allow you to shoot 9 frames PEF at 3 fps before it would pause. If you have a fast card (e.g. Extreme III) and use DNG RAW format, you can shoot at least 12 frames before it starts to pause. Some settings was not correct when you did the testing; or it has a very slow SD card (or no card? Not sure how the burst mode would behave with no card) .

Anyways, I am sure you are well served by your K100D. But in terms of RAW shooting speed, K10D is fast and it has a large buffer.

02-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
This is NOT normal. For K10D, a reasonably fast card (e.g. 60x) should allow you to shoot 9 frames PEF at 3 fps before it would pause. If you have a fast card (e.g. Extreme III) and use DNG RAW format, you can shoot at least 12 frames before it starts to pause. Some settings was not correct when you did the testing; or it has a very slow SD card (or no card? Not sure how the burst mode would behave with no card) .

Anyways, I am sure you are well served by your K100D. But in terms of RAW shooting speed, K10D is fast and it has a large buffer.
Thanks for the clarification, nosnoop. I did not check what kind of card was in the camera at the store. I should have. Twelve frames PEF before pausing would be a big improvement. There was occasions with my old Canon S3 IS that I would shoot twenty or more frames in a row, but they were rare.

Think I'll stick with the K100D, though. At least until next time I get paid. :-)

Will
02-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #33
racinsince55

I'd like to restate those questions, as they seem to have gotten lost here.

For the record, RiceHigh, I have taken in your opinion. I would still be grateful to hear from anybody who actually owns a K10D who could speak to the questions that I asked. :-)

Will
Don't you just hate it when someone who doesn't actually own a piece of equipment tries to give you advice about it?
02-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
Don't you just hate it when someone who doesn't actually own a piece of equipment tries to give you advice about it?
Oh, I don't mind. I myself have strong opinions about all kinds of things I have no personal experience with. It was just that the thread was heading down a path which was not responsive to my original query. Happens all the time. No offense meant to RiceHigh and no big deal. :-)

Will

02-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

not shooting raw Will the k100 with a decent card will shoot 5 images in about 3 seconds and take under five seconds to clear its buffer..

wait the five seconds and u shoot another burst of five.. dont wait the five seconds and u get one image per second untill the card is full..

the buffer dosnt have to fully empty.. after say three seocnds u could fire off say two or three quick pics..

the problem here isnt so much the buffer size its shooting raw as opposed to jpeg..

its something worth considering.. the extra speed from jpeg.. more possibly good shots or the theoretical post processing advantage to be gained from the slow and clunky raw file shooting..

again its your camers Will.. but i am sure a machine gun shooter does not shoot raw.. especially a pentax one.. he he

i know what i would do.. but i aint u..

trog
02-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
not shooting raw Will the k100 with a decent card will shoot 5 images in about 3 seconds and take under five seconds to clear its buffer..

wait the five seconds and u shoot another burst of five.. dont wait the five seconds and u get one image per second untill the card is full.
Yes, I know this, Trog. When I've really really wanted to shoot continuous mode with the K100D - shooting flying birds, or sports - I've switched to JPEG. Five shots often seems about four shots fewer than I'd like, but it's three shots better than two. And you're right, shooting JPEG, the camera does recover faster.

QuoteQuote:
its something worth considering.. the extra speed from jpeg.. more possibly good shots or the theoretical post processing advantage to be gained from the slow and clunky raw file shooting..
I know you're feelings about Raw. I've persuaded myself that it's a Good Thing. I'm also aware that some other cameras do much better in burst mode than the Pentax. My impression is that even the Nikon D50 is better than the K10D in this regard. So I suffer from a certain amount of GISOTOSOTF* syndrome.

But hey, I bet you didn't think I had it in me to stick with the K100D. :-)

Will

*"Grass Is Greener On The Other Side Of The Fence."
02-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #37
Veteran Member

"But hey, I bet you didn't think I had it in me to stick with the K100D. :-)"

i didnt will.. he he he.. but in my estimation u have earned a couple of merit points cos u have.. he he

soon when the hardware is up to it and raw is sensibly compressed and irfanview my favouirte viewer converts on the fly in an instant.. i will be shooting raw.. but not yet..

i am not actually against it.. i just dont think its quite there yet.. he he

best of luck with the gym shots however u end up doing em..

trog
02-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All this sounds like CBA to me (camera buying addiction)!!

02-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #39
Veteran Member

if you really want it, then get it. it's not going to be a waste of money, cause simply you will use it. right now it seems that you have outgrown your current set up, and want to upgrade.

if it fits in your budget, then why not?
02-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
All this sounds like CBA to me (camera buying addiction)!!
I admit that there is probably some truth to that charge. But let him who is without sin, cast the stone. :-)

Will
02-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
if you really want it, then get it. it's not going to be a waste of money, cause simply you will use it. right now it seems that you have outgrown your current set up, and want to upgrade.

if it fits in your budget, then why not?
Oh, dear, the Devil weighs in. :-)

I never actually said that it fit into my budget. Truth is, I'm rather over budget already - although I've been avoiding total irresponsibility by learning how to sell stuff (old computer equipment, cameras, printers, etc.) that in the past might have just sat around in my office until I moved it to the garage.

I'm not sure what happened. I was reading some reviews of the K10D the other day, I don't know, sort of the way men in moments of weakness will look at pictures of beautiful women and daydream. And then I thought, heck! I don't have to daydream. I'm not married to the K100D, after all, and the K10D is actually AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE! Then I was suddenly filled with an exaggerated awareness of the couple of things about the K100D that I'm not very happy with. Fifteen minutes later, I'd found the best price for the K10D, body only ($849 on Amazon.com) was about ready to hit the Submit button while voices in my head whispered, "If you order in the next 12 hours, you can have this item by Thursday!"

That was when my guardian angel hit me upside the head with a phone book and I came to my senses long enough to post my message here.

It was a very close call.

Will
02-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Oh, dear, the Devil weighs in. :-)

I never actually said that it fit into my budget. Truth is, I'm rather over budget already - although I've been avoiding total irresponsibility by learning how to sell stuff (old computer equipment, cameras, printers, etc.) that in the past might have just sat around in my office until I moved it to the garage.

I'm not sure what happened. I was reading some reviews of the K10D the other day, I don't know, sort of the way men in moments of weakness will look at pictures of beautiful women and daydream. And then I thought, heck! I don't have to daydream. I'm not married to the K100D, after all, and the K10D is actually AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE! Then I was suddenly filled with an exaggerated awareness of the couple of things about the K100D that I'm not very happy with. Fifteen minutes later, I'd found the best price for the K10D, body only ($849 on Amazon.com) was about ready to hit the Submit button while voices in my head whispered, "If you order in the next 12 hours, you can have this item by Thursday!"

That was when my guardian angel hit me upside the head with a phone book and I came to my senses long enough to post my message here.

It was a very close call.

Will
will

you know your going to be tossing and turning. but I do know how you feel, and well, it does suck.

the whole thread is 3 pages long and forgive me if you have already answered the question, but aside from buffer speed, what else is enticing you to get a k10?

and are these other features worth getting one now as opposed to lets say, later in the year?

it is nice to have and hold that nice weather sealed body, but, your current body is more than capable. takes the same photos, but at less mp.

just wait...man.....unless you really really really want it.
I did, but i waited such a long time to get on the digital slr market.
02-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I have tried Panasonic 2000mAh, Sony 2100mAh, Sanyo 2500mAh NiMH on my *ist D, DS and K100D. They all share the same problem below (with the K100D most power hungry and thus problem most dominant):-

1. Batteries show half depleted just after tens of shots;

2. Slower AF and more hunting in low light;

3. Very short overall battery life;

4. Fast self discharge of batteries inside the camera.

With CR-V3 and regulated RCR-V3, the K100D is a camera which performs at its peak as it was originally designed.

just to add, my wife's k100 gets over 200 shots a charge from our sanyo 2500mah. we have owned them since Dec 06' and so far have been great, reliable batteries.
I am guessing she has 1500+ shots on them.
I did notice that if you charge and extra set for later, if you don't use them within a week or so they die (just sitting in the bag, not in the camera)
02-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Absolute BS. I have a bunch of different lenses (and a DS!) and I am not terribly worried about a little moisture or water droplets. Rain, yes. Fog, mist very light sprinkles no. The north east United States, specifically the coastal areas are quite wet, especially in the winter. In the three winters I have owned this camera, I have never once had a problem with "any moisture and water droplets" I am careful yes, but the camera and quite a few different lenses have been sprinkled, splashed (lightly) and drizzeled upon. Not a problem.

NaCl(just to set the record straight)H2O
If non-water sealed lenses can be sprinkled, splashed lightly and drizzled upon, I bet a non-water sealed body can too and there is no need for a K10D! (under those light situations, I suppose)
02-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I'd have to agree. The K10D's controls are greatly improved over those of other models. For the record, I do have a DS2 (which is almost identical to the K100D, save the TTL and pentaprism) to compare it to
I'm not talking about the control and interface indeed. I'm talking about how the camera really performance. The K100D undoubtedly has a better image engine than any of the *ist Dx camera, i..e, better colors, better details and sharpness and so on. The AF system is improved and is adequate for a 6M camera under daylight. THe shutter release feeling is crisp and sure (although Phil Askey said it has a loud shutter) and the time lag is felt to be shorter than the K10D, and, I'm sure that if I do the measurement in my "lab", I can verify that.

The button, dials and knobs of the K10 are not as crisp as the K100D as they are rather stiff (but yet the MZ-S is still the best).

For a true pro camera body, I think all the above are very important, but not just the specs on paper and the interface it presents. I did use my *ist D to shoot nearly 10k pics and I know about its interface well. But still, this interface don't make me think that my *ist D is a pro DSLR in any means!

As for the control and interface, the K10 has more controls but the K100 is simpler and direct to use. Each has pros of its own.

QuoteQuote:
But remember the K10D uses a Li-Ion battery, not the (worse) NiMh type.
Yes, so I think Pentax has finally done the right thing this time, after the problem has been dragged on for three years!