Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
the whole thread is 3 pages long and forgive me if you have already answered the question, but aside from buffer speed, what else is enticing you to get a k10?

and are these other features worth getting one now as opposed to lets say, later in the year?
Well, I mentioned the pros and cons as I perceived them at the start of the thread. But to answer your question, nothing really decisive, nothing I can't live without. I've read about the K10D a great deal, listened to all the testimonials (and the few gripes) voiced here and in other forums, and now had the pleasure of hefting one personally. It's a sweet camera and if I could simply swap my K100D right now for one, I would. But swap + about $400-500? Not so much.

Will

02-21-2007, 09:05 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I do own both k100d and k10d. k10d is my main camera for outdoor shots while k100d is used at my work: taking shots of x ray or CT scan or pictures of patients' rashes etc. Amazingly k100d does produce more pleasing image in term of skin tone and real life texture.

k10d is not that small (not that big either) which can be a bit of handicap for me to carry around at work; its images on skin leisions, wound assessment are not as great as k100d IMHO. However, I am starting to love the graininess in bokeh or some of incredible colour in certain situation outdoor which I doubt k100d could have produced.

Besides all the pros and cons you had mentioned, k10d in combination of these "cheaper" Da* primes and zooms would make a great travel kit. No concern about terrible rain and you know these combinations are durable. Faster AF and so many more features would be the major bonuses as well.

I am thinking of selling k100d soon as I heard newer models are going to replace k100d soon

James
02-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #48

WOW!

RiceHigh, I've been biting my tounge and not commenting, but you are makeing the most absurd and outlandish statements about the K10D!!! I have to just say that I'm surprised you even still own a pentax camera.

WOW, Do you use your cameras to take pictures yet?

Or you just measurebate?

Enjoy

Last edited by Brew1brew; 02-21-2007 at 10:13 PM.
02-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Well, I mentioned the pros and cons as I perceived them at the start of the thread. But to answer your question, nothing really decisive, nothing I can't live without. I've read about the K10D a great deal, listened to all the testimonials (and the few gripes) voiced here and in other forums, and now had the pleasure of hefting one personally. It's a sweet camera and if I could simply swap my K100D right now for one, I would. But swap + about $400-500? Not so much.

Will
Will, Sorry for my previous note.

If your happy with the K100D then and the extra money is a stretch, then I would say just wait. I've been shooting with the *ist D for over 3 years now and love the interface. I would not replace it with a camera that does not have hyperprogram or hypermanual modes.

Having said that, you have to decide what features are drawing you into the K10D, if it's just "I want the latest tech toy" then you might be doing your self a disservice. If you have the extra cash on hand and don't see the the extra features as that important, then I would go buy some good glass.

For me the K10D is the camera I want for multiple reasons. So my K10D will arrive tomorrow. I will be out taking pictures this weekend, I will post a new thread with a couple of my favorite shots and will post my first impressions.

Les

02-21-2007, 10:32 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
For me the K10D is the camera I want for multiple reasons. So my K10D will arrive tomorrow. I will be out taking pictures this weekend, I will post a new thread with a couple of my favorite shots and will post my first impressions.
I will be eager to see your photos!

Will
02-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Will
yes, good point. I say, spend the money now on glass, then when you have all your core equipment set (glass, flash, etc, etc., ) spring for the body. in the end, it's whats in front and behind the body that makes the difference, not the body itself.
02-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Oh, dear, the Devil weighs in. :-)

I never actually said that it fit into my budget. Truth is, I'm rather over budget already....

Hi Will:

So, you are contemplating buying a body for $800+, possible getting, what about $300 for your used K100D, and ponder getting "upcoming lenses", which for the first pair, will set you back another $1900. Let's see...800 plus 1900 minus (generous) 350 = second job.

Suggestion - try improving your timing technique. so you don't need a random burst:-) Buy a fast and long Tamron or something.

02-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #53

Just my 2 bob's worth (old £.S.D type talk) as an aging one-time sport and performance shooter who was, of neccessity, constrained by a max. of 400asa (occasionally 'up-rated') and manual film advance.
Get to know the rhythms and movements of the sport/performance to the point that for 95% or more of the time you know what is going to happen next and when and where.
This will enable you to anticipate your 'trigger' point and to pre-adjust your camera settings accordingly.
You may even end up exposing fewer frames but with a much higher usability conversion.
There's no quibble about the value of good glass though.
Get the best (= most suitable for the purpose) that your circumstances will allow.
No individual lens is capable of being all things in all circumstances, so prioritising your choices is paramount.
Hope this helps a bit.
02-22-2007, 01:01 AM   #54

I can see you are a K100D 'fanatic', maybe for good reason, but if you've only used the K10D three times that hardly constitutes 'expert status.

I'm sure many of your comments are relevant but I am always suspicious when someone tries so hard to knock any product. If you wait for the next K10d body, or whatever it may be called, you'll probably wait for the one after that as well - there's always the expectation of something better just 'around the corner'

We all have differing interests and needs and for me the K10D is the most comfortable and flexible camera I have owned in 40+ years.

I like the way it handles and I like the resulting images. Of course I'd like it to be better but that applies even more to my technique.

Whatever you're most comfortable with..... - just a personal opinion.
02-22-2007, 02:41 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisman Quote
I can see you are a K100D 'fanatic', maybe for good reason, but if you've only used the K10D three times that hardly constitutes 'expert status.
Well, quite some people think that I am a K100D "basher"or even a "Pentax basher", just because of my this review:-

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review

But indeed, I am not bashing nor fanatic on anything. I just share my findings on what I have discovered so far.

QuoteQuote:
I'm sure many of your comments are relevant but I am always suspicious when someone tries so hard to knock any product. If you wait for the next K10d body, or whatever it may be called, you'll probably wait for the one after that as well - there's always the expectation of something better just 'around the corner'
I am not "knocking hard" on the K10D. But I just pointed out how it shines or lack when compared to the K100D, as the OP says about he thought of replacing his K100D, by the K10D.

QuoteQuote:
We all have differing interests and needs and for me the K10D is the most comfortable and flexible camera I have owned in 40+ years.
Congrats. And actually, if one is satisfied with a camera, then it's a good thing. Also, people won't find their camera bad just because what I say "bad" about the K10D, will they? :-)

QuoteQuote:
I like the way it handles and I like the resulting images. Of course I'd like it to be better but that applies even more to my technique.

Whatever you're most comfortable with..... - just a personal opinion.
I originally planned to get the K10D as soon as it arrived. But all my findings and hands on experiences told me that it is not a camera for me, enough said.

So, my only wish now is that Pentax can really make a better DSLR which they are actually capable to deliever (but only to marketing reasons, they haven't)
02-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I fully concur with you here regarding the skin tones and texture response between the two DSLRs.

I shoot portraits a lot and skin tone and texture is an upmost important thing for me.

K10D actually has a picture style closer to Canon DSLRs than to other Pentax DSLRs. But then the Canon DSLRs are famous for their plasticky skin response which many portrait shooter don't like.

But the worst thing is for Canon DSLRs, they are of very low noise. In contrast, my experience with K10D is that the noises are quite visible from ISO 400 and onward. Particularly with the tendency of underexposing of the Pentax metering system which makes things worse (dark areas will have more color noise there). So afterall, the plasticky skin don't have its rewards (for the trade-off, there should be less noise).

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I do own both k100d and k10d. k10d is my main camera for outdoor shots while k100d is used at my work: taking shots of x ray or CT scan or pictures of patients' rashes etc. Amazingly k100d does produce more pleasing image in term of skin tone and real life texture.

k10d is not that small (not that big either) which can be a bit of handicap for me to carry around at work; its images on skin leisions, wound assessment are not as great as k100d IMHO. However, I am starting to love the graininess in bokeh or some of incredible colour in certain situation outdoor which I doubt k100d could have produced.

Besides all the pros and cons you had mentioned, k10d in combination of these "cheaper" Da* primes and zooms would make a great travel kit. No concern about terrible rain and you know these combinations are durable. Faster AF and so many more features would be the major bonuses as well.

I am thinking of selling k100d soon as I heard newer models are going to replace k100d soon

James
02-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
So, you are contemplating buying a body for $800+, possible getting, what about $300 for your used K100D, and ponder getting "upcoming lenses", which for the first pair, will set you back another $1900. Let's see...800 plus 1900 minus (generous) 350 = second job.
Well, I was contemplating. But among the reasons I've postponed further contemplation are the calculations you review, which are pretty similar to my own.

QuoteQuote:
Suggestion - try improving your timing technique. so you don't need a random burst:-) Buy a fast and long Tamron or something.
Well, a reasonably fast, short Tamron is what I'm using now - the 28-75 f/2.8. It's pretty good.

However, I don't use burst/continuous mode just as a shotgun way of trying to get 1 good picture. I actually enjoy taking a series of photos where you can see the action developing. I'm going to live without it now, but that's why I wish that the K100D's continuous mode were better.

Working on my timing is good advice for me - and for a lot of us.

Will
02-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #58

Does Pentax have any plans to come out with a camera with more features than the K10D? Something that can compete with the big dogs that canon & nikon make?
02-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #59
Veteran Member

the machine gun way is the only way to get the "special" frame with any fast moving object.. be it bird taking off or that magic sports shot..

all the shots might come out perfectly focused and pefectly exposed but its the magic split second pose thats its all about.. machine gunning is how to capture it..

which i spose is why most sports pros shoot canon.. at best we have an automatic pistol.. he he

it should get the odd "magic" action moment in thow.. just not as easy or as often as the machine gun..

trog
02-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
the machine gun way is the only way to get the "special" frame with any fast moving object.. be it bird taking off or that magic sports shot.
Right. As I've said, sometimes when I shoot in continuous/burst mode, I'm interested in more than one shot; and at other times, I'm looking for just one. Here's a picture I took last November with my Canon S3 IS of an egret fishing. If there are photographers on the planet whose reflexes are so good that they could have gotten this photo without using burst mode, well, God bless 'em, because when those egrets go for the fish, they go without warning and they go fast. But this isn't the only shot in this series that I like. I like the other shots, too, like the one showing the egret turning his head so that he can look down into the water with one eye, etc. The S3 IS's continuous shooting mode, if I recall correctly, provided a little better than 2 fps for as long as I held the shutter down, until the card filled up (which in fact happened with this particular shoot, I remember).

I knew when I purchased the K100D that the continuous mode shooting was a weak point. The reviews all mentioned this fact. I also knew that switching from a fixed-lens camera to a digital SLR was not, in itself, going to result in my taking better pictures, and might even involve some steps backwards - many pro authors have commented on that. So no surprises here for me. I'm happy with the move to the digital SLR, very happy, and in many if not most respects, the K100D is a more capable camera than the S3 IS. But hey, I'm only human, and there are times when I wish my K100D and the lenses I've acquired (at considerable cost) could do one or two of the things I used to be able to do with the S3 IS.

By the way, for my sports photography, the move from S3 IS to K100D involves both plus and a minus, but the plus is more important. I've lost the S3's excellent continuous mode. But the S3 was simply awful in bad lighting like the inside of a school gymnasium, so ALL of my shots - even the best ones - came out very noisy. I have not eliminated that problem altogether - still looking forward to the day that auto-focus 50mm f/1.4 is available again for purchase - but with my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, I've done much better than I ever did with the S3, by which I mean that some of the shots are actually pretty decent in a technical sense. Shooting Raw also helps. I say this because I don't want anybody to think that I'm really itching to go back. The itch was to go FORWARD to the K10D. But I've put some ointment on the itch and I think it's gone away for a while.

Will