Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
The big 'problem' with Pentax's new lens offerings is the lack of an aperature ring--that makes them forward looking only. Well almost, they might fit the cameras between the *ist-D and the K10D but they don't do film and that won't work without a body to control the aperture. That's questionable to me as I expects three basic controls: speed, aperture, shutter; regardless of what the rest of the features might offer.
John, If I understand what you are saying here, "the lenses without aperture ring won't work on film bodies" I'm sorry but this is not true. They will work with the film bodies all the way back to the A series, the ZX/MZ, P/PZ, and *ist bodies will function with a cripled KAF and KAF2 lenses, a lens without an aperture ring.

Now the DA series lenses may have a vignetting problem with a film body, but that's another discussion.

Les

02-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #107

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
John, If I understand what you are saying here, "the lenses without aperture ring won't work on film bodies" I'm sorry but this is not true. They will work with the film bodies all the way back to the A series, the ZX/MZ, P/PZ, and *ist bodies will function with a cripled KAF and KAF2 lenses, a lens without an aperture ring.

Now the DA series lenses may have a vignetting problem with a film body, but that's another discussion.

Les
My ZX-5n has no way to control aperture on the body. Unless by function you mean only wide open.
02-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
My ZX-5n has no way to control aperture on the body. Unless by function you mean only wide open.
I'm sure there are exceptions, however any body that can control the lens in the A mode will work with lenses that have not aperture ring.

The statement was made that these lenses would not work with film, I was just pointing out that there are film bodies that will control these lenses. I'm not saying that this is the case for ALL film bodies.

Les
03-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #109

First Post! Hello there!

I just read the whole thread!
And I realized that you guys have forgotten about the rule number one:
it is photographer that makes good pictures, not equipment!

Will, as I understood, You like to take a bird and nature photos.
Will you be able to take better pictures with k10d? You will never now it. If you had a siamese twin brother with k10d, You could both go out and compete, and later compare the same pictures, shot at the same moment, but only with a different cameras!
I bought k100d and I'm not going to buy k10d, considering its better tho! You now why? Because I believe, that I can make better pictures than others with k10d, eos 1d or whatever.
In computer related forums it is called e-*****. when someone buys something faster, better and more expensive, just because he can.
If money metters and You are such a good photographer (Your pics are realy great) just keep your k100 and buy some good lens to shot even better!

I apologize for my bad english!

03-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

I suspect it will be a K100D that I take to the Rocky Mountains in July. Perhaps by the time we hike again down into the Grand Canyon in the fall I'll have a new camera. Hard to think of a better excuse for a new camera than the Grand Canyon. But for now, I'm going to stick with the K100D. I can't say yet that it's stunting my growth as an artist. :-)

Will
I doubt you will be shooting sports action at the Grand Canyon, which removes what I believe was your only real limiting feature of the K100D - the tiny buffer.

But, if you will be shooting the rapids then a weather-sealed K10D may be advantageous :-)
03-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I doubt you will be shooting sports action at the Grand Canyon, which removes what I believe was your only real limiting feature of the K100D - the tiny buffer.

But, if you will be shooting the rapids then a weather-sealed K10D may be advantageous :-)
It's hard to know what to expect at the Canyon, actually. No rapids for me, for sure. And you're right, probably not much in the way of sports, although we have been passed while hiking by JOGGERS - I kid you not!

But birds - lots of birds, birds move fast, and the ability to shoot continuous AND Raw would be nice. Not to mention the usefulness of faster auto-focus. Two years ago, a California condor came up from the canyon and soared right past my nose, not twenty feet from where I was standing on the rim. Nearly dropped my camera over the edge, I was so surprised. That won't happen to me again. Next time, I will expect the unexpected. We're also going to Rocky Mountain National Park this summer, where a camera with really good dynamic range would be just the ticket, not to mention that it's snowed on us in the Rockies in July, so that's a possibility. And next week, it's down to Port Aransas to shoot whooping cranes. My brother-in-law just came back from Port Aransas where it was quite foggy in the morning when he was out on the water. Foggy = moist. You can see where my thoughts are tending....

Will