Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
How is the KP's built in flash? I have on old Vivitar, voltage checked and ok.

10-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The KP flash is a weaker unit than previous models but this is more than compensated by the impressive noise handling at high ISO values. In a sense, it may also be useful since a powerful flash unit may cause overexposure of images when you're using auto ISO settings with flash.

I haven't missed the extra power and can handily bounce the flash from the ceiling using a white card to get great illumination of a subject (e.g. for portraits in a smallish room).
10-29-2017, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is too bad that the KP is not offered with the newer DA 18-50mm WR DC lens, due to the compact nature of the KP design. That would be a less-expensive alternative, as it was included in a kit with the K-S2 for very little extra, which I bought in 2016 in a great deal after the K-70 came out. It will probably eventually appear as a kit with the K-70. It is amazingly small, the AF is much better than the old 18-55mm kit zoom, and IQ performance is quite good. The ideal quality compact zoom lens for the KP, however, is the DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited. I have that setup and love it. It would not replace your DA 16-85mm lens, but is ideal when you don't need the extra zoom capability. I have had the DA 18-135mm for quite some time and would not part with it, though the DA 20-40mm stays on the KP more often.

As to learning curve, the KP is not all that different to operate for normal shooting than my K-S2, which is very like the K-70, though the handling and feel of the KP are of a more compact but high-quality nature. The KP does also offer more control options. I think it would be a great advancement coming from a K-50, in terms of superior construction as well as function and imaging. I could see a possible addition of one or more of the remarkable Limited lens series coming your way once you have the KP!

The K-5, K-3 type body is quite different in size and control layout. I still have my K-5 IIs and use it when I need its virtues. But the KP is now my most reached-for model.
10-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here OP, you might like this tool
Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

All of these are pretty sweet cameras You can change camera in drop down menu. It lists things like battery capacity, WR yes/no, flash type, etc.

10-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Here OP, you might like this tool
Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

All of these are pretty sweet cameras You can change camera in drop down menu. It lists things like battery capacity, WR yes/no, flash type, etc.
lots of interesting material can be accessed by going up to " Cameras ", " Lenses " , "Accessories" and " Articles " above.

thanks to all who have helped to create that informative material.
10-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
Thanks to all. No comments on the 16-85 compared to the 18-55? Who has the best price for a KP body only you guys are aware of? In that case I would use my 16-85 and buy a 35mm prime for my daughter? I have been told more than once that learning w a prime lens is a pretty good approach when learning about photography.
The 16-85 is a honey of lens highly recommended around PF. I think it is another class above the 18-55. I wouldn’t say the 18-55 is bad but does need to be stopped down to get best results. The 16-85 shot wide open will outdo it any day plus has more range. Furthermore is a lens with HD coating to boot.

---------- Post added 10-29-17 at 02:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
It is too bad that the KP is not offered with the newer DA 18-50mm WR DC lens, due to the compact nature of the KP design. That would be a less-expensive alternative, as it was included in a kit with the K-S2 for very little extra, which I bought in 2016 in a great deal after the K-70 came out. It will probably eventually appear as a kit with the K-70. It is amazingly small, the AF is much better than the old 18-55mm kit zoom, and IQ performance is quite good. The ideal quality compact zoom lens for the KP, however, is the DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited. I have that setup and love it. It would not replace your DA 16-85mm lens, but is ideal when you don't need the extra zoom capability. I have had the DA 18-135mm for quite some time and would not part with it, though the DA 20-40mm stays on the KP more often.

As to learning curve, the KP is not all that different to operate for normal shooting than my K-S2, which is very like the K-70, though the handling and feel of the KP are of a more compact but high-quality nature. The KP does also offer more control options. I think it would be a great advancement coming from a K-50, in terms of superior construction as well as function and imaging. I could see a possible addition of one or more of the remarkable Limited lens series coming your way once you have the KP!

The K-5, K-3 type body is quite different in size and control layout. I still have my K-5 IIs and use it when I need its virtues. But the KP is now my most reached-for model.
Agree 100 percent. The 20-40 despite its limited range is very “at home” on the KP and gives good results.

---------- Post added 10-29-17 at 02:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, and nobody knows anything about it. There are two possible routes: an incremental upgrade, with a body similar to the K-3's but with the new sensor from the KP and the improved UI, or something completely new. I really hope it's the latter!
Thank you!

---------- Post added 10-29-17 at 02:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Comment from Jacquot's Booth Report from PhotoPlus on the PF front page:
"Lastly, I asked about updates to the K-3 II and K-1, and Jodi said that there is currently nothing on the roadmap for new bodies. I asked if she felt that new designs would integrate UI/connectivity functionality such that those in the Theta V, and she said that each new offering would upgrade usability, and pointed to the KP.
(Editorial note: there have historically been no camera roadmaps, so this means that future plans will be kept under wraps for now. The two oldest models in the current Pentax lineup are the 645Z and K-3 II.)
She said the response to the KP has been "great." APS-C sales are strong, and Pentax will continue to support both APS-C and FF as base products. The new lens offerings and the KP show that commitment.
"
Thanks as well!
10-30-2017, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
Also, any thoughts on a purchase now or will I likely regret not waiting for new version of the K-3 which some writers on the forum indicate will be out soon?
I have a feeling that the upcoming K-3II replacement is going to be a bigger leap into the future than what the K-5/5II/5IIs to K-3 leap was. If you get the KP now, you might end up with a feeling of, "I should have waited for this instead."

Then again, once you see the price tag on that upcoming flagship, you'll probably think, "Good thing I got the KP instead." Hahaha! It's definitely going to be more than the KP.

I'm currently running 2 K-50 bodies & I've been waiting since late 2016 for that APS-C flagship. Hopefully Ricoh delivers one sometime next year. I highly doubt that they have anything else planned for release this year. Until then, I'm gonna keep shooting my K-50 bodies 'cause they ain't broke yet.

10-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I have a feeling that the upcoming K-3II replacement is going to be a bigger leap into the future than what the K-5/5II/5IIs to K-3 leap was. If you get the KP now, you might end up with a feeling of, "I should have waited for this instead."

Then again, once you see the price tag on that upcoming flagship, you'll probably think, "Good thing I got the KP instead." Hahaha! It's definitely going to be more than the KP.

I'm currently running 2 K-50 bodies & I've been waiting since late 2016 for that APS-C flagship. Hopefully Ricoh delivers one sometime next year. I highly doubt that they have anything else planned for release this year. Until then, I'm gonna keep shooting my K-50 bodies 'cause they ain't broke yet.
I'm there with ya'. I'm expecting bigger things in the "K3III" next year (hopefully).

I have two K-S2's that I've been very happy with, but I am replacing one with a K-70 just to see how much difference there might be with low-light, pixel-shift, dynamic-range, and just general image quality. I'll sell off one of the the K-S2's for $300 or thereabouts and not have all that much invested in the new camera. Plus the two bodies should be nearly identical in interface, layout and button placement. The KP is just a bit more of a commitment. I can wait a few more months to see what Pentax has up their sleeves.
10-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends- does one want to wait for a bulkier model having a couple more on-body controls with a top LCD, and hope it has an on-board flash (not like the K-3 II), and pay more for it, or go for the more sleek but very high-quality KP? If expecting a need for a deeper buffer for a lot of burst shooting, etc. and with the expectation that performance will be at least up to the KP and that it will have a tiltable screen, along with a built-in flash, then wait for that possibility!
11-01-2017, 03:19 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Depends- does one want to wait for a bulkier model having a couple more on-body controls with a top LCD, and hope it has an on-board flash (not like the K-3 II), and pay more for it, or go for the more sleek but very high-quality KP? If expecting a need for a deeper buffer for a lot of burst shooting, etc. and with the expectation that performance will be at least up to the KP and that it will have a tiltable screen, along with a built-in flash, then wait for that possibility!
I have most of the KP with my K-70 IMO (rec'd it yesterday and already taken a few dozen shots with it) and saved several hundred $ doing so.
Nope, I'm waiting for the inevitably better AF on the K3III in an equally compact body. Like it is with my college football team, Wait till next year!

11-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As to a very good 35mm lens, the FA 35mm f/2 is a fine one. Not WR, screw-drive AF, which is still very good, and it is FF compatible, having been designed for 35mm film use. I've had mine since then. Image quality is great.