Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K50 upgrade; KP premium bundle vs K--3 11 or 111?

I want to move up from my K50 and I am considering the KP. Online stores eg Adorama have a few bundles for very little more money; one with an 18-55mm and one w a 50mm lens that was noted in the forum in May. The 18-55 lens is included. I have the 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR. If I get a bundle I could give the 18-55 along w the K50 to its new owner. What would be a good quality 35mm to add to the departing K50? It's all going to my daughter. I wonder about keeping the K50 as a second/backup camera but I am imagining that there are better options as features have changed since the K50 was introduced. Also, any thoughts on a purchase now or will I likely regret not waiting for new version of the K-3 which some writers on the forum indicate will be out soon? Thanks for any guidance.

10-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
What would be a good quality 35mm to add to the departing K50?
Are you talking about a 35mm focal-length DA lens? If so, consider what you are going to use it for.

General photography: f/2.4 is pretty fast enough for this and the DA35/2.4 is both relatively inexpensive and punches well above its weight.

Ultra close up/macro work: the 35/2.8 Limited Macro is outstanding, BUT it is also fiendishly expensive compared to its plastic-fantastic cousin. Not worth the extra if macro is not an absolute must.

Low light: Sigma are the kings here; they have a 35mm f/1.4, if I recall correctly. Pentax hasn't made a lens like this since the prototype 35/1.4 SMC-M lens, that never made it into general production.

For the sake of completeness, the FA 35/2.0 still exists as a new item, though it is not widely found, and has forward compatibility to the K-1 and back compatibility to all K-mount film cameras ever.
10-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I want to move up from my K50 and I am considering the KP. Online stores eg Adorama have a few bundles for very little more money; one with an 18-55mm and one w a 50mm lens that was noted in the forum in May. The 18-55 lens is included. I have the 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR. If I get a bundle I could give the 18-55 along w the K50 to its new owner. What would be a good quality 35mm to add to the departing K50? It's all going to my daughter. I wonder about keeping the K50 as a second/backup camera but I am imagining that there are better options as features have changed since the K50 was introduced. Also, any thoughts on a purchase now or will I likely regret not waiting for new version of the K-3 which some writers on the forum indicate will be out soon? Thanks for any guidance.
The KP would be a great camera. I absolutely adore mine. Regarding a new K3 II level crop camera, who knows... Likely will not be yet in 2017 sometime in 2018 seems to be a better bet, since it hasn't been shown yet I would say at the earliest sometime spring/summer time frame. If you think a KP would "tick" all the right boxes no need to wait just get one and ENJOY shooting with it. I am very interested in the next flagship level K3 replacement camera model too as well as the 11-18mm DA * due out in 2018 they are all on the radar.

From where I stand take the KP with the DA 18-55 and don't look back. It is an awesome low light camera, shots wildlife great and is relatively compact to boot. Not mirrorless small mind you but will be a HUGE upgrade from your current K50.
10-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I also give a vote to the K-p. As much as people complain about the perceived lack of features, I think that Pentax got almost everything right with it. The only issue may be the price but even that is very reasonable these days.

It's got everything you'll need and more. If you're looking for a pro grade body then it won't meet all of your needs (FPS and dual SD come to mind) but it'll do pretty much everything else.

I sold my K-3 when I moved to FF and then felt as though I was missing a lighter body. The KP filled that slot perfectly since it's very compact compared to the K-1/K-3.

10-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

I just upgraded this week to the KP from the K-50 and couldn't be happier! It is a huge improvement in both image quality and handling. Getting the 18-55mm was a nice plus as well. My walk-around is a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, so I don't have much use for it, but it is my only WR lens in that range. I also passed down my K-50 to my daughter and gave her the 18-55mm that came with it.

As for the image quality, I personally think the 14-bit raw files make you able to get more out of the highlights and shadows. The noise is also a huge improvement. My first shots were at the 5000 range and no noise is visible unless you go to near 100%.
10-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's also the option of buying the K-70 which will be a real comfortable transition since many of the controls will be familiar. The KP is quite different, more along the lines of the K1 interface-wise so you should expect a perhaps significant learning curve. K-70 Image quality will be pretty much on par with the KP which to me is ultimately the goal anyway.

The K-70 will be a huge upgrade from your K-50, handling similarly but a good improvement in dynamic range, great improvement in low light and higher ISO noise. Considering they can be found new for around the $550 mark if you keep an eye open, thus not likely to take a beating on a resale later on, it gives you the step-up you want while waiting to see if/when Pentax brings on the K3II replacement that's been rumored for months now. Personally that's what I'm choosing to do.
10-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Can't go wrong with my KP or K-70, but if you want a more durable body then I'd go for the KP. The free lens offer is a really good one.

Wouldn't hold my breath for a K-3 replacement for now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

may I suggest a way to experiment, but it does cost money

consider renting

for example I have used a company called Lens Rental

LensRentals.com - Rent Photo > Pentax > Cameras

why not see the cost of renting the equipment - camera bodies and/or lenses you are considering buying to get hands on experience?

btw, there are other rental companies you could consider
10-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can't go wrong with my KP or K-70, but if you want a more durable body then I'd go for the KP. The free lens offer is a really good one.

Wouldn't hold my breath for a K-3 replacement for now.
Agreed! The 18-55 is a great kit lens, I can say my father has shot several amazing photos with one paired to the K10D and K100D over the past 10 years. Stopped down a little bit they aren't a bad little lens and WORLDS better than the optics on say an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy.

Now the real question is do you know anything about a K3 II replacement? If so can you spill the beans? I understand if you can't but I am very interested to see what Pentax has up their sleeve next for APS-C crop sensor users.
10-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all. No comments on the 16-85 compared to the 18-55? Who has the best price for a KP body only you guys are aware of? In that case I would use my 16-85 and buy a 35mm prime for my daughter? I have been told more than once that learning w a prime lens is a pretty good approach when learning about photography.
10-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to all. No comments on the 16-85 compared to the 18-55? . . .
if you haven't done so, I recommend you read these:

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

which 18 - 55 mm are you looking at?

here is the review of SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR

Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

to me the 16 - 85 is better than any of the 18 - 55s

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-28-2017 at 07:41 PM.
10-28-2017, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Agreed! The 18-55 is a great kit lens, I can say my father has shot several amazing photos with one paired to the K10D and K100D over the past 10 years. Stopped down a little bit they aren't a bad little lens and WORLDS better than the optics on say an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy.

Now the real question is do you know anything about a K3 II replacement? If so can you spill the beans? I understand if you can't but I am very interested to see what Pentax has up their sleeve next for APS-C crop sensor users.
No, and nobody knows anything about it. There are two possible routes: an incremental upgrade, with a body similar to the K-3's but with the new sensor from the KP and the improved UI, or something completely new. I really hope it's the latter!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2017, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Now the real question is do you know anything about a K3 II replacement? If so can you spill the beans? I understand if you can't but I am very interested to see what Pentax has up their sleeve next for APS-C crop sensor users
Comment from Jacquot's Booth Report from PhotoPlus on the PF front page:
"Lastly, I asked about updates to the K-3 II and K-1, and Jodi said that there is currently nothing on the roadmap for new bodies. I asked if she felt that new designs would integrate UI/connectivity functionality such that those in the Theta V, and she said that each new offering would upgrade usability, and pointed to the KP.
(Editorial note: there have historically been no camera roadmaps, so this means that future plans will be kept under wraps for now. The two oldest models in the current Pentax lineup are the 645Z and K-3 II.)
She said the response to the KP has been "great." APS-C sales are strong, and Pentax will continue to support both APS-C and FF as base products. The new lens offerings and the KP show that commitment.
"
10-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that link,interesting to see the V within the protective case and finding out its good to 30m,it should withstand the impact of the waves i'm going to put it into.?
10-29-2017, 05:56 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to all. No comments on the 16-85 compared to the 18-55? Who has the best price for a KP body only you guys are aware of? In that case I would use my 16-85 and buy a 35mm prime for my daughter? I have been told more than once that learning w a prime lens is a pretty good approach when learning about photography.
The 16-85mm is a BIG step up from the 18-55mm. Obviously the FL range is better, and the difference at the WA end (16mm vs 18m) is an eye opener. IQ of the 16-85mm about as good as it gets with a wide-to-modest tele zoom. It is bigger/heavier, but not enough to overshadow its substantial advantages over the 18-55mm.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-29-2017 at 09:47 AM.