Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #106
Forum Member

As you wish.

11-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new Panasonic G9 now offers pixel shift and focus stacking. The K1 and K3ii already offer pixel shift, and for a long time I've been able to do focus stacking manually using Zerene Stacker in post. So neither feature is of interest to me.

The new Nikon D850 also offer focus stacking and more pixels. A few more pixels than the K1 does not excite me either.

I only use manual focus lenses, so improved auto-focus is not a concern to me.

The only things that would cause me to buy a new Pentax camera would be: a revolutionary new sensor, greatly improved video capability, and/or pixel shift that works on moving objects.
11-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Meta Conversation Thoughts

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Are you trying to say that you've got everyone on ignore?
You know that lens on the front of your phone that you use to take a photo of your . . . Self? Should there be a corollary SelfIgnore Button?

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Every now and then I peak, and sometimes that leads to un-ignoring someone, but that usually only lasts a couple of days. Most people who earn their way onto the ignore list once, will do it again.
I can see a list of everyone Iím not listening to. I think it would be interesting to see who is not listening to me
11-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #109
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
.The only things that would cause me to buy a new Pentax camera would be: a revolutionary new sensor, greatly improved video capability, and/or pixel shift that works on moving objects.
The only thing that would prevent me from purchasing a new Pentax camera is if my K-30 had died a year ago - but I am totally satisfied with it. The KP is the most interesting camera to me in over twenty years, since AF started becoming common. I would have one already if our finances were more stable.

11-10-2017, 03:55 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Things have really changed since my interest in photography started. In the 70's we were happy with 4-5 frames per second. I'm even glad to have k-3II's 8.3 frames per second. For me 12 frames per second is the max I'd need. However, the push in technology has exceeded what we were thinking of. I don't think I'll need 60 frames per second. But probably, the younger photographers would like this. What I've noticed these days are, people would shoot their cameras full auto like an MP5 or an M16 even in landscapes and other non-action shots. I don't know if they even care about composition. It's like "I'll shoot a thousand shots and take what I need. I'm sure there'll be something worth using."

A Pentax Jedi knows how to use great power. We minimize our moves but, we always use the force and come up with great pictures.
The problem with the G9 is the micro four thirds sensor. You can take a really fast frame rate, but you are probably limited on your iso to 1600-ish. That's more than enough for outdoors and good light, but there are plenty of sports that aren't played in good light and I'm afraid that compared to an A9 or even a D500, the G9 won't really be able to keep up in darker settings.

Certainly we are getting to the place where we will need apps to sort through our photos and pick the sharpest best images if we come away from our kids soccer game with 3000 photos -- remember, that's only 50 seconds worth of shooting.
11-11-2017, 04:25 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well we might as well just send the drone to take the picture, dock, send the pictures to the PC or home server which will itself select the 'best' ones, generate the bill and so on.

Why are we even doing something. Machines can do it anyway.
11-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #112
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well we might as well just send the drone to take the picture, dock, send the pictures to the PC or home server which will itself select the 'best' ones, generate the bill and so on.

What are you responding to?? My wife is used to a "5 minute photo stop" taking as much as 30 minutes as I figure out which perspective I want. You could never program that kind of judgement into a drone, and I wouldn't want to miss the experience.
11-16-2017, 12:20 AM   #113
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What are you responding to?? My wife is used to a "5 minute photo stop" taking as much as 30 minutes as I figure out which perspective I want. You could never program that kind of judgement into a drone, and I wouldn't want to miss the experience.
Was respondig to Rondec last sentence.

11-24-2017, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

People have been saying that about every invention ever made... And now most human use them anyway... Until something even better replace it.

What isn't going to happen antime soon is something that record everything, everywhere on all angles. So basically, if your computer can select the sharp shots or even the one with the best composition, you'll still have to aim first. If your drone can focus automatically on a subject, set of subjects and take the interresting shots, you'll still have to ask the drone what to focus on and maybe also what kind of shots you want.

Today cameras all do automatic exposure and focus and this work quite well in many cases. As a consequence, most people don't use manual focus anymore nor do they use the f/16 rule or wander around with an external exposure meter. I don't think the quality of photos dropped or the willingness to take picture dropped neither too.

Looking at what pro got with their film bodies and expensive tele lenses a few dozen year ago, I can now get comparable quality in a used 300$ body + used 100$ consumer zoom. That's great. Not a threat.

Also even if the machine does everything by itself better than you for photos, the question is why do you have to focus on doing photography? Is it really the only thing worth doing in your life ?
11-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #115
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

No, much of photography has nothing to do with just the mechanics of taking a picture. My wife is used to a "5 minute photo stop" taking 30 minutes as I consider perspective after perspective. There is no evidence that unique souls can be automated.
11-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There is no evidence that unique souls can be automated.
There no evidence on the contrary, neither... And there no evidence that us humans have a soul neither...