Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

Any News?

Is there any news of a new camera replacing the K3II? I have the K20 K5 K5II and the K3 and thought there would be a better upgrade to the K3 than the minor upgrade with the K3II.

10-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. So far, no news as to a K-3 / K-3ii replacement.
Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
10-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tmcarlton Quote
Is there any news of a new camera replacing the K3II? I have the K20 K5 K5II and the K3 and thought there would be a better upgrade to the K3 than the minor upgrade with the K3II.
Not yet, but the KP is a pretty nice upgrade in terms of image quality if you wanted to add one to your kit.

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

I think this is one of those things of it will just show up when it is ready.. Ricoh tend to keep a tight lid on product development.. very few actual leaks.

But I understand that can be frustrating, especially if you are waiting on the release.. The K-3 in 2013 showed up around this time and I don't recall a big leak beforehand.. The K-30 earlier in that year was the same way.. they'll just pop up when ready.

10-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's being researched.
10-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We may actually see something in the 645 line first, then a replacement for the K-3 line.

I may have considered the KP had all three grips come standard in the box for Australian customers. As it is I'll wait for the K-3 line replacement now.
10-30-2017, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I expect no news (either official or leaks) about a new Pentax APS-C flagship for this year.
They don't do camera (public) roadmaps - only lens roadmaps; and with very few exceptions, they keep quiet about the cameras they're working on. Of course, they're "researching" it, they think it's necessary - and they'll be launching a DA* which doesn't really make sense if their most ambitious APS-C plan is the KP.

We might find out something in March.

10-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
We may actually see something in the 645 line first, then a replacement for the K-3 line.

I may have considered the KP had all three grips come standard in the box for Australian customers. As it is I'll wait for the K-3 line replacement now.
With the launch of the DA* 11-18mm F/2.8 I would expect a K-3 replacement to come around the same time as that ships. Camera companies typically like to group releases like this. With the recent drop in the 645z price, I do think we see a 645 body soon, but the expected new Sony MF sensor is not scheduled to ship until next Spring. Unless Ricoh is using a different sensor, I don't expect to see a 645 replacement this year.... But who knows.
10-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's being researched.
Good one
10-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
They don't? That sounds like a bit of a scam since it certainly comes with the US and Japanese models are far as I know.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Pentax was going to release a direct k-3 replacement they likely would have done so by now. They are probably delayed because they are doing a more significant update to the top apsc camera, February or March maybe. Soon after they may release a new FF at a later date to leverage some of those technologies. But this is just speculation.
10-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They don't? That sounds like a bit of a scam since it certainly comes with the US and Japanese models are far as I know.
Yes Australia and New Zealand only get the small grip included, scam, yes I think so too.
10-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

In India too. Only one grip. Others are options to be bought separately.
10-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tmcarlton Quote
Thanks to all that have replied. I'm hoping for real improvement in the auto focus that would put it on a par with the main players in DSLRs. BTW, I started with the Pentax Spotmatic back in 1971 so have been a fan of Pentax for a long time. Still have that camera too.
10-31-2017, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

The KP in Japan definitely comes with the small grip only. They are about 5,000 yen to purchase separately. Americans are getting a good deal on the KP by comparison.

As for the K-3 ii successor, it could come at any time without much warning, but I think it is unlikely that it is in a queue after a 645 release. Typically, the 645 inherits the latest AF system from the K-mount DSLRs, so if it follows precedent the new AF system will debut in a K-mount model. Also, the sensor of the 645Z appeared in a more expensive Hasselblad first, but we haven't seen that yet.

My guess is that the releases will be . . .
- Something K
- Something GR
- Something 645
. . . in that order