Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K1 and external focus assist light (spot beam)

Greetings!

I am a little bit frustrated about external AF assist lights on the K1 and hope I can harvest some wisdom from the forums.

I have a Metz 50 AF-1 that I have used for years on my K5 II. In my opinion, the most useful feature is the focus assist light coming from the flash unit. It makes auto-focusing in the dark so easy and fast, way better than the in-camera assist light, which is obstructed by the lens (hood) in most situations anyway.

However, on my K1 I just can't make the external assist light from the flash unit work. It always uses the ineffective internal assist light. Even installing the latest Metz firmware didn't help (although that fixed some other issues). I browsed the internet (incl. this site) for solutions and only found the assertion that external focus assist lights generally don't work with the K1 (even not with original Pentax flashes).

So my question:
Is that true or does anyone has a flash with a properly working AF assist light on the K1?

Many thanks in advance
Mathias

11-04-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I believe that the original AF-540FGZ SpotBeam function does not work on the K1. However the latest MKII version does. Third party items I guess are going to have to be supported by the makers through firmware if they choose to offer it.

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.
11-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

I have not tried it with my Metz 58AF-2 yet but I do remember that Metz came with a firmware update after the K1 was released.
11-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies!

@Nuji: I have recently installed the latest Metz firmware version. As I said: it fixes some issues but still no spot beam operation.

@mcgregni: Sounds promising. Did you actually witness the spot beam from the AF540 MK2 on a K1 with your own eyes?

11-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't have a K1, so you'd better not believe me. Perhaps someone with both the AF-540FGZII and a K1 can try this and confirm .....
11-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I don't have a K1, so you'd better not believe me. Perhaps someone with both the AF-540FGZII and a K1 can try this and confirm
I believe everything you say Nigel ! However for completeness I can conform for the OP that the AF spotbeam on the AF540 II works with the K-1.
11-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I believe everything you say Nigel ! However for completeness I can conform for the OP that the AF spotbeam on the AF540 II works with the K-1.
Aaah. Thank you very much.
I suppose, I have to go for a new flash now ;-)

11-12-2017, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for final clarification. I have both versions of the AF 540 flash. As stated the spot beam on the first generation does not work on the K-1. The 2nd generation does. I was hoping Ricoh was going to correct this with a firmware update.
02-28-2018, 02:01 AM   #9

I’ve had a small e-mail conversation with Metz about this issue. They say the problem is that the K1 doesn’t react on the wave length of the AF-beam of the Metz flashes. At the moment the only flash of Metz where the AF-beam works is the small M400. So the only thing you can do is use the beam of your K1 itself or buy a cactus V6 or equal with a build in AF-beam.
08-26-2023, 01:46 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Just for final clarification. I have both versions of the AF 540 flash. As stated the spot beam on the first generation does not work on the K-1. The 2nd generation does. I was hoping Ricoh was going to correct this with a firmware update.
I wonder if it's still the case since I have Sigma 610 which has working af assist on K-5 II but not on K-1.