Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 18-135 mm lens

My standard all-purpose lens is the DA 18-135 mm which I use on my K50. I like it, but read in a recent British photo magazine that it was a little lacking in edge sharpness. I'm usually satisfied with my lenses until I know there is something superior. Is there a "better" lens in this general zoom range that can be recommended? If there is, I would consider buying it. I would consider any manufacturer, including Pentax.

11-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the 16-85mm. It's one of our users' favorite lenses overall, and for good reason.

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

That said, unless you are dissatisfied with the 18-135mm, maybe just hang on to it? No all-in-one lens will ever be perfect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Pentax HD DA 16-85 mm F3.5-5.6 WR is a better lens that is sharper in the corners and is a better choice if you don't need the 85- 135 mm focal lengths. That lens has gotten good reviews here in the forum and outside from photozine.com and Optical Limits.com.
11-07-2017, 03:44 PM - 10 Likes   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi psoo
Are you happy with your photo's from this lense?
Why are you letting a review override your own experience?
Have a nice day

Dave

11-07-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the 18 - 135 is soft in the corners. I did extensive testing before I decided to keep mine. However, I use DxO Optics Pro (now DxO PhotoLab) as my raw processor, and it does an very good job of fixing the corners. See my post #8 at DA 18-135mm after DxO Treatment - PentaxForums.com.

Last edited by cpk; 11-07-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: formatting fix
11-07-2017, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I've had an 18-135 lens for a few years now. At first I hesitated on getting one as some critics said this lens wasn't sharp. I finally bought one, I've been very happy with it and I'm a guy who checks my pictures out quite carefully for clarity. If it has less edge sharpness, I certainly haven't noticed it as an issue. To me center sharpness is more important and it seems very sharp.

I think it's an excellent lens. The only thing that bugs me about it, is that it has the dreaded lens creep. But to be honest, I'm not that bugged by some creep.
11-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The DA 18-135mm is a very useful, versatile lens, and capable of quality imaging. It is at its best between 18-70mm, where it can also maintain f/3.5-4.5 apertures wide open, which is better for low-light or action shots needing a higher shutter speed than an aperture of f/5.6 would be. It can do this because it is still only at about half of its zoom range. Edge and corner quality are compromised mainly at the longer end of its zoom range, though frequently this is not noticed because in longer tele shots the central portion usually becomes the most important part of the shot anyway.

I have other, fine quality lenses costing much more, but I value the DA 18-135mm for its very useful zoom range and its high image quality. In addition to its very good WR construction, it also has one of the fastest, quietest, and surest AF performances of any lens put on a Pentax DSLR.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-07-2017 at 04:44 PM.
11-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi psoo
Have a nice day

Dave
I'm with DBA. If you like your picks your switching of lenses won't make you take better pictures. Take this "flaw" more as characteristic of your lens and use it to your advantage. Secondly, when I see a great photo, after saying "Wow", I don't then say, "let's check out the corners". It really all depends on what kind of photography you shoot. I shoot headshots and Portraits so the edges don't bother me at all. If I shot architecture corner sharpness might be more important to me. So I think you would get better advice if you told us what you planning to do with this new lens.
11-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll bite,the 16-85 is not the lens you're looking for
11-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #10

i've been shooting mirrorless for a couple of years now aside from my pentax system, and the range, weight, and weathersealing of this lens makes it my most used lens in the pentax system. I have a sigma 17-70 C that is supposedly optically better and I can't see a significant difference in real world use.

Last edited by AtitG; 11-07-2017 at 07:01 PM.
11-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi psoo
Have a nice day

Dave
Hi DBS. Yes I have been happy with my 18-135 mm but have noticed some of my pics are not as sharp as I would like. I reasoned that for this zoom range it was probably as good as I could get unless others could tell me it ain't so. It's like being satisfied with your girlfriend until you meet someone even better. Then you consider switching. I see that some respondents like the DA 16-85 but I do like the 135 mm stretch on my lens. It allows me to leave my 18-250 at home when I want to travel light. I wonder if Sigma or Tamron have a good zoom lens in the 18-135 mm range.
11-07-2017, 07:01 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
but read in a recent British photo magazine that it was a little lacking in edge sharpness.
Wait. You were perfectly happy with the lens until you read in a magazine that it had soft corners? Seriously? Who cares what some wannabe article writer in a magazine says? I certainly do not. How do you know the 'reviewer' is a capable photographer? How do you know his particular lens wasn't decentered? How do you know they even tested the lens instead of writing up some boiler plate?

I use the DA 16-85 on my K-3II and my wife uses the DA 18-135 on hers. Sometimes my pictures are better, sometimes hers are. Standing side by side and shooting the same thing in the same light.

If YOU are happy with the DA 18-135 do yourself a favor and ignore magazine articles. If YOU are not satisfied with the DA 18-135, well that is another story and there are alternatives. I believe the DA 16-85 is slightly sharper but you give up a lot of focal range for that. And it is not a lot sharper when stopped down. Just my 2 cents....................

---------- Post added 11-07-17 at 06:03 PM ----------

It's like being satisfied with your girlfriend until you meet someone even better.
I met my girlfriend 38 years ago. Haven't found 'better' yet.
11-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
I'm with DBA. If you like your picks your switching of lenses won't make you take better pictures. Take this "flaw" more as characteristic of your lens and use it to your advantage. Secondly, when I see a great photo, after saying "Wow", I don't then say, "let's check out the corners". It really all depends on what kind of photography you shoot. I shoot headshots and Portraits so the edges don't bother me at all. If I shot architecture corner sharpness might be more important to me. So I think you would get better advice if you told us what you planning to do with this new lens.
Hi Angel, I can certainly live with my 18-135. It IS a good lens as many of you state. I take photos of my family and children and edge sharpness is not critical. However, I also take a lot of landscape and infrastructure shots that should be sharp all over. If I could identify a "better" lens than my 18-135 I would consider it.
11-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I could identify a "better" lens than my 18-135 I would consider it.
The 'better' lens would be the DA*16-50 plus the DA*50-135. Same focal range, significantly sharper images.
11-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #15
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi psoo
Your answer to Angel gets to the crux of the matter,it is not the lens at fault but your priorities are changing.
A better lens for architecture but still be 'walkabout' at the same time and the same range, whoo your asking a lot of 1 lens.
As Jaytrax said a 16 - 50 ,50 -135 double is one way of achieving this, but its not 1 lens.and maybe not the 'best ' for architecture, I don't know
Dave