Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D vs Canon 50D & Nikon D90

With the new Canon 50D release, and the D90's pending announcement, where does this leave the K20D? With the exception of in-body stabilization Pentax has lost pretty much all the headline features it once had. The 50D matches it megapixels and has an equal, if not better build quality.

On the other hand the D90 looks to offer a whole lot of bang for the buck. We know it will have great IQ with that 12 megapixel sensor, but video recording, better rear LCD, better operating system, and better live view are features that will make many people choose it over the K20D even though K20D should have better build quality, 2 more megapixels, and in-body SR.

I can't foresee many people looking past those two cameras (as well as the D300) to give Pentax a try. Will Pentax just end up lowering the price of the K20D to once again to undercut Canikon like they did with the K10D when it regularly sold for $700?

08-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

it didnt lose anything

the others simply matched it

ours still costs less, is small(est), and has all that fancy backward lens compatability.

however any canon owner with a good collection of L glass would be very happy by the new machine.

Nikon i cant say much.
08-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah great more of these threads....

maybe the specs on the Nikon will help clam things down (at least if you have a pace-maker)

Nikon D90 Specifications Revealed

Thanks to jgredline for finding this site.
08-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

maybe the specs on the Nikon will help clam things down (at least if you have a pace-maker)

Thanks to Javier for finding this.
ah great more links to that silly site

You know Peter, for someone that seems so agitated by the re-emergence of the same topics you do your own share at fueling the war machine.

08-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Banned

why oh why?

lets throw my ME-F in this comparison as well? why not. god these are getting old real fast.

All alone at the end of the of the evening
And the bright lights have faded to blue
I was thinking 'bout a woman who might have
Loved me and I never knew
You know I've always been a dreamer
(Spent my life running 'round)
And it's so hard to change
(Can't seem to settle down)
But the dreams I've seen lately
Keep on turning out and burning out
And turning out the same

So put me on a highway
And show me a sign
And take it to the limit one more time

You can spend all your time making money
You can spend all your love making time
If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
Would you still be mine?

And when you're looking for your freedom
(Nobody seems to care)
And you can't find the door
(Can't find it anywhere)
When there's nothing to believe in
Still you're coming back, you're running back
You're coming back for more

So put me on a highway
And show me a sign
And take it to the limit one more time

Take it to the limit
Take it to the limit
Take it to the limit one more time
08-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

Thanks to jgredline for finding this site.
Normally I would agree with you, but it is pretty obvious at this point Nikon is experiment with viral marketing by *leaking* their products. They did the same thing with the D700. So I think we can officially retire that D90 super camera link.

I also think it's apparent that Pentax has an issue on their hands unless they seriously undercut the price of Canikon. Good for me if so, I can upgrade to a K20D, but how exactly will Pentax attract new customers?
08-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

08-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I agree the K20D didn't lose anything. The rapid introduction of the Canon 50D points out to me that the 40D was not a competitive camera.

I read somewhere that the reason the 8.2 PM Canon 30D was out so long, was because Canon went back to the drawing board with the 40D, before they introduced it, when they saw what the Pentax K10D was offering.

The Canon 50D now has a 15 MP sensor....finally as a previous poster said matching the K20D'2 14.6 MP sensor. The D300 has a 12. something sensor, which surprised me.

Canon barely surpass the K20D with their 50D's MP of 15....what's that...(.4) of a MP?

In the end it's like the Detroit Horsepower wars with their diesel pickups. Ford brings out an engine with 350 hp, Dodge then brings out a 360 hp, then Chevy brings out a 365 hp, then Ford brings out a....well you get the idea.

It's about bragging rights, upping the competition for a market that looks at MP #'s.

Mark my words there will soon be a Pentax K30 with more than 15 MP's....then Canon will bring out, then Nikon...etc.

BTW, my K10D's 10. 2 MP's and a friend's 8.2 MP Canon 30D seem to provide tremendous pictures and I have a critical, discerning eye, if I do say so myself.

Do you need 14.6 or 15 MP's? Well....do yah ??

BTW, I am pleased with my K10D and certainly I'm sure be pleased with the equivalent Canon (50D) or Nikon (D300). They're all great cameras and each of them has pros and cons , when compared to each other.
08-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Do you need 14.6 or 15 MP's? Well....do yah ??
yeah, you do, actually.
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

the 50D is interesting because there are claimed improvements in noise from high iso in addition to the increased resolution. no one is saying resolution is bad as long as it doesn't take away from IQ.

as well, if you don't like the giant 15 mp raw, the camera can create smaller size ones instead
08-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
BTW, my K10D's 10. 2 MP's and a friend's 8.2 MP Canon 30D seem to provide tremendous pictures and I have a critical, discerning eye, if I do say so myself.
10 megapixels is more than enough myself. In fact I don't even care about the jump from 10 to 14 from the K10 to the K20. However, I have had just about enough of the vertical banding noise my K10D produces over ISO800. If it wasn't for that issue I wouldn't even be reading up on the latest greatest SLR's, but the banding becoming a serious problem for me. So now I'm hoping the D90/50D will drive the K20D price down enough that I can justify getting one. Although I will wait to see reviews of the D90 first. I know that 12 megapixel sensor outperforms the K20D's at ISO1600 (assuming it's the same sensor from the D300), so selling off my current gear and buying a D90 kit at an even swap is also a possibility for me.
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

the K20D has its own share of banding at any ISO if you did not expose properly, thats the key here.

the only thing i miss from my K100D, which did not exhibit any banding even under severe conditions unless it was @ 3200
08-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the K20D has its own share of banding at any ISO if you did not expose properly, thats the key here.

the only thing i miss from my K100D, which did not exhibit any banding even under severe conditions unless it was @ 3200
That's no good. I've seriously just about had it. I "upgraded" from a K100D to a K10D the other month mainly for build quality and viewfinder upgrades. I assumed the IQ would be just fine, but I was wrong. My biggest issue is even when I do expose a pic properly I like to tweak the pic in Lightroom, and if you push it even a little, bam, there it is again. Plus, there are times when you just don't have time to set up and make sure everything is perfect. This pic I took of my niece crying is a good example. Even reduced down to 822px wide it still shows up in her legs. The room was so dark I didn't have a choice but to push it a bit if I wanted it to be sharp (I try to avoid using flash whenever possible).
08-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #14

Looking at Canikon specs, K30D should have same 14,6 CMOS sensor as K20D, but with banding issuses fixed; 6 fps and no less than 30 JPEGs buffer, slightly better (faster) AF nad Live View and it would be side by side with 50D/D90
08-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
That's no good. I've seriously just about had it. I "upgraded" from a K100D to a K10D the other month mainly for build quality and viewfinder upgrades. I assumed the IQ would be just fine, but I was wrong. My biggest issue is even when I do expose a pic properly I like to tweak the pic in Lightroom, and if you push it even a little, bam, there it is again. Plus, there are times when you just don't have time to set up and make sure everything is perfect. This pic I took of my niece crying is a good example. Even reduced down to 822px wide it still shows up in her legs. The room was so dark I didn't have a choice but to push it a bit if I wanted it to be sharp (I try to avoid using flash whenever possible).
Hmm, I don't see anything wrong in that pic.. what are we looking for?