Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are either the 50D or D90 full frame? (That is a rhetorical question.)

08-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #62
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will we see K20D super with 5 fps and 1/8000 with the same 14.6 MP at Photokina?
08-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #63
ibk
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Will we see K20D super with 5 fps and 1/8000 with the same 14.6 MP at Photokina?
No, maybe we won't. But we'll see some other gems from Pentax.
08-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibk Quote
No, maybe we won't. But we'll see some other gems from Pentax.
ohh yeah? like what?

08-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
snip... I didn't check the link but you want AV Video on your DSLR?? This is the dumbest thing I've read in a few days. I want my camera to be a serious still camera not some toy I'm going to bring out at parties.
About a month ago I ran into a street shooter that was using a small video camera to capture candid street scenes. Kind of a different take on the traditional approach.

This got me thinking. Why not have HD video on a DSLR?

Allot of images these days never make it to traditional print. They are shown and shared only on monitors and TV's. For many people image sharing is exlusivly done through their computer.

I can imagine a day when I walk into a gallery, and the exhibit is entirely on monitors, or high def TV's. It's a "photography" exhibit, but each photo starts with 3 to 5 seconds of moving video, that then stops on the final compsition of the photo. Imagine a street scene, people moving, bumping, rushing, a feel for the tempo of the day, then the moment frozen. Imagine being able to see a few seconds of a rolling thunder head just before the lanscape is captured.

Yes for many, video on a DSLR is a gimic. But in the hands of some people, it could become an importent tool for their photography.

Then the question becomes, is it photography? It is similar to the argument that colour photography has no place as fine art. Do people still argue that? I have no idea if the style would be considered video or photography. Thats the kind of thing I leave for others to talk about.

But I do think that all art forms need to grow, change and morph. Otherwise they become stagnent. People still paint landscapes, but they also photograph them.

Eric.
08-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Good point Eric,

my response to that would be an open question to everyone to think about it.

Are photocamera companies creating this technology and expanding our options

or are consumers demanding this technology to expand their own creativity or utility?

chicken or the egg type deal here, who is REALLY pushing the engineers on this one?
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #67
Banned

well it isn't me I can tell you that.

08-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
well it isn't me I can tell you that.
maybe you have that whole Tyler Durden thing going on and are actualy fueling the "install video in DSLR" movement during the night.
08-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I wasted an hour of my life the other week on DPR trying to convince a Canon guy that full weather sealing trumps magnesium. However, he wouldn't even consider a camera without magnesium. To each his own.
Canon is market leader, and the whole philosophy is that if you want top features, you need to get their Pro level cameras.
The Eos 50D has poorer sealing than the Sony E700, which isn’t fully gasketed either. The Eos 40D is crippled, so that it is not possible to have Auto Focus work together with Teleconverter, etc.

Your friend should be welcome to hold his opinion, but the moment he has been shooting in the rain and his camera stopped working; I’ll wonder if he suddenly wouldn’t like it to be fully sealed.
As the Pro shooter and reviewer Sean Reid wrote in his K10 review : “The camera’s chassis is metal but the body is plastic. Nonetheless, it feels quite solid and I’ll take a sealed plastic body over an unsealed metal one any day”.
And from another review : "Any professional photographer who sometimes ends up working in rain, snow, dust or other challenging weather can appreciate the value of having seals on his or her digital camera. Digital innards don’t tolerate water like some mechanical film cameras do. Camera rain hoods are awkward and provided imperfect protection. I certainly can’t afford to stop working when it starts to rain but I also wouldn’t want to risk ruining an expensive digital body."

The Eos 40D had the poorest sealing in its class. Reinforced Polycarbonate is also more shock-absorbent than magnesium.

As lbam states underneath, the Nikon D90 seem more impressive over the predecessor, than the Eos 50D.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 08-27-2008 at 11:49 AM.
08-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Slice of the market wise, I see the real threat to the K20D in the Nikon D90. Especially if it's priced for little more than the K20D.

Thankfully Samsung probably know a thing or about video cams, and apparently video abilities are just the next (small), step up from live view, so again, those that need this feature will either have to jump ship, or make do with just (lol), still picture taking abilities.

I know the K20D live view ain't the best, but surely the next model will have it sorted.

I'd love both these abilities, but for me the sensor, and dynamic range of the D90 are what I most want to know about.
Again, Samsung didn't do too bad with their first DSLR sensor in the K20D, did they?

I expect the Canon 50D to be a lot more expensive than the K20D.. nuff said there...
08-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Heat

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
About a month ago I ran into a street shooter that was using a small video camera to capture candid street scenes. Kind of a different take on the traditional approach.

This got me thinking. Why not have HD video on a DSLR?
One word:

Heat.
08-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
One word:

Heat.
one word:

cooling
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #73
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
one word:

cooling
if my still camera now has to have a cooling system..... yea forget it ill buy a video camera if I want video.
08-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
I'd love both these abilities, but for me the sensor, and dynamic range of the D90 are what I most want to know about.
It's the D300's sensor (aka Sony's 12mpix CMOS sensor), probably with a few more tweaks as Nikon did when they put the D200 sensor in the D80...
08-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if my still camera now has to have a cooling system..... yea forget it ill buy a video camera if I want video.
Why do people keep saying that? I personally think its amazing that there is now a large sensor HD video camera with interchangeable lenses for less than $10000, this not only is the cheapest thing in that market, it undercuts everything else by a ton. This particular camera might not work that well at video, or it could work great, we don't know yet. Personally it's not good for me because its only 24fps, but its on the right track, and it will push other people in this direction.