Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Also, one more thought. If overheating is going to be such a major problem why is it not an issue on any point and shoot I've ever used? Or in the new Panasonic LX3 which also offers "HD video"?
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Chip size (smaller) and lower frame rates with lower resolution.

It's actually more than that. It has a lot to do with sensor construction itself. This has been explained to me in length.

Basically what point&shoot cameras are are small video cameras, with the sensor being very similar to that of a video camera. (my dad's ancient Samsung camcorder from 1994 has a 0.3 megapixel CCD sensor!)

They do not require a shutter to function. DSLR sensors are much simpler in their construction (allowing more light to reach photosensitive areas, thus increasing dynamic range etc) but they require a mechanical shutter. Or at least they did, until this whole "Live View" doo-dad came along.

08-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #107
Forum Member

I am at cross roads here.

To be taken seriously in the field i take pics i will have to make a move to Canon or Nikon.
Sorry to say but for the contract givers, wathever the quality of picture i present, using a Pentax is an issue.
The Canon 50d looks great on paper. Will it be good on the field??

So what i see in my future is this. Canon 50d body to "impress" my boss and get those sports pics he wants....K20 to take the pictures that really needs sharp details that the 50D wont be able to give me.

That could make a killer duo
08-31-2008, 05:15 AM   #108
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by babelphotos Quote

To be taken seriously in the field i take pics i will have to make a move to Canon or Nikon.
Sorry to say but for the contract givers, wathever the quality of picture i present, using a Pentax is an issue.

So what i see in my future is this. Canon 50d body to "impress" my boss and get those sports pics he wants....K20 to take the pictures that really needs sharp details that the 50D wont be able to give me.

this is ridiculous in every sense of the word. what does the name on the camera have to do with anything? your photos should speak of your talent, your photos should get you taken seriously, not the brand you use... im sorry but this is lame, period. if you have to impress your boss by using a canon or nikon then maybe you need a new job. and if the K20d is going to give you the pictures the 50D cant then why are you even mentioning switching?
08-31-2008, 05:39 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What a load of nonsense.

You're talking lenses, not camera bodies. Admittedly the Pentax super-zooms are not there compared to Canon's speciality. If you're a sports photographer, you should have gone with Canon in the first place. If you are rally a sports photographer, why are you even looking at Nikon?

Both camera bodies can give you the details.

08-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #110
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this is ridiculous in every sense of the word. what does the name on the camera have to do with anything? your photos should speak of your talent, your photos should get you taken seriously, not the brand you use... im sorry but this is lame, period. if you have to impress your boss by using a canon or nikon then maybe you need a new job. and if the K20d is going to give you the pictures the 50D cant then why are you even mentioning switching?
I wholeheartedly agree with séamuis and really can't say it much better. I could choose some stronger adjectives but this thinking is just foolish. It would be like saying you can't drive as well cause you chose Bridgestone tires instead of Goodyear.

If your boss has such a limited understanding of cameras or photography, what is he doing making any decisions in this regard? I have never met a pro that once looked down at my Pentax because it wasn't a Canon or Nikon.
08-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #111
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It would be like saying you can't drive as well cause you chose Bridgestone tires instead of Goodyear.
Watch out on the motorsport analogies. Because this one is, well, not an analogy a racer would make.

Ducati would welcome Rossi on Bridgestone
QuoteOriginally posted by article:
Rossi has put a lot of Casey Stoner's success this year down to tyres, and the Italian has admitted that he is keen to switch from the Michelin rubber that he has raced on during his entire time in the top class of MotoGP.
Racing is about weight, then tires, then pilot, then machinery. Most of the time weight is standardized in a class, so tires are the next biggest thing.

I agree with what your post means, Peter Zack, but I wanted to chime in because we're speaking of my passion.
08-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
What a load of nonsense.

You're talking lenses, not camera bodies. Admittedly the Pentax super-zooms are not there compared to Canon's speciality. If you're a sports photographer, you should have gone with Canon in the first place. If you are rally a sports photographer, why are you even looking at Nikon?

Both camera bodies can give you the details.
i don't know about you, but if i were a real sports photographer, i'd take a serious look at nikon. the D3 with their new telephotos? yum.

08-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #113
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
i don't know about you, but if i were a real sports photographer, i'd take a serious look at nikon. the D3 with their new telephotos? yum.
For those who mistrust Nikon as a major player for sports shooting I recomend some Beijing Olympics program reruns. You'll see a lot of black guns next to those boring white ones. Also check what this Newsweek guy has to say about his pro Canon gear: Visions of China: A 2008 Olympics Picture Blog : End of the Line

Radu
08-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #114
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
First i dont need a new job. Photography is a hobby.
My boss are my clients. Currently they are quite happy with what they see.
But i will go a bit further in the future and using and i am being looked down because of my choice of using Pentax. For those who doubt that i am a sport photographer...did you check my website?? The answer is there.

The 50d with its higher frame per second burst could give me a lot more action pictures than the 3fps currently given by my K10 and K20 duo.

If Pentax doesnt release a body that can do this...what can i do??

And for those who still doubt i got another example today. 2 amateurs with Canons showed up at the races today. Both of them had 40d's with "white" pro lens on. Both of them got asked to take pics of the race while me with my Pentax had to show my card to get in.....because "i didnt look pro with my equpment"....

I have all the DA* lenses.....a k20 and a K10... How more "pro" can you get....Do i have to paint my lens white??

Do you see my point now or am i going to be trashed again??
08-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #115
Veteran Member

And for those who still doubt i got another example today. 2 amateurs with Canons showed up at the races today. Both of them had 40d's with "white" pro lens on. Both of them got asked to take pics of the race while me with my Pentax had to show my card to get in.....because "i didnt look pro with my equpment"....
Wow, so I could get a colored vest, sling a big lens over my shoulder, and walk right in?

That's not a camera issue, that's a slacking issue on the track official's part. Had I known this, I would have gotten one a couple weekends ago and stood near the "big boys" trackside.
08-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Find yourself a broken canon body and lens for cheap, use them to give yourself the "professional look" you need, then shoot everything with whatever darned camera you choose once you get in
08-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #117

If Pentax doesnt release a body that can do this...what can i do??
Change brands? If what you have doesn't work for you then change to something that will.

No point whinging about it.

Oh as for the Canon "white" lenses. I call the "w@nker" lenses. My bro-in-law (who is a Canon shooter) calls them "sewer pipes".
09-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #118
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
Change brands? If what you have doesn't work for you then change to something that will.

No point whinging about it.

Oh as for the Canon "white" lenses. I call the "w@nker" lenses. My bro-in-law (who is a Canon shooter) calls them "sewer pipes".
Glad you are not a Pentax rep, or the company would have gone bankrupt in matter of weeks.

Next time READ the complete thread

I will NOT get rid of my Pentax, but seriously thinking of buying the Canon and keep both as a killer duo like i wrote two days ago. What one camera cant give me the other one will

Is it now clear??
09-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Chill, guys

Quite expensive to go dual system. But if you can, then go for it. I'd go for a dual system IF i could afford it, a Pentax system for personal/travel, and a Nikon for work But who knows what Pentax has to offer in the coming months, a big improvement in AF, flash, and fps would do the trick for me and I wouldn't need/want to get a Nikon system for work.

Go for whatever you think will serve you best.
09-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #120
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Chill, guys

Quite expensive to go dual system. But if you can, then go for it. I'd go for a dual system IF i could afford it, a Pentax system for personal/travel, and a Nikon for work But who knows what Pentax has to offer in the coming months, a big improvement in AF, flash, and fps would do the trick for me and I wouldn't need/want to get a Nikon system for work.

Go for whatever you think will serve you best.
Its not necessarily more expensive to have a dual system if a person is running multiple bodies and lenses anyway. Where canon gets you is that they leave lenses behind a lot with their EF stuff and I won't get into the FD to EF b.s. Its too bad
Ttamron didn't update their Adaptall SP 2 line into the AF era.