Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its not necessarily more expensive to have a dual system if a person is running multiple bodies and lenses anyway. Where canon gets you is that they leave lenses behind a lot with their EF stuff and I won't get into the FD to EF b.s. Its too bad
Ttamron didn't update their Adaptall SP 2 line into the AF era.
hmm i would think it'd be a bit more expensive running dual system. different flashes, different lenses, but i do see your point.

09-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #122
Inactive Account

I don't see anything wrong the that pic either. I just got back from Alaska. Several things surprised me. 1. How many passengers ran for cover in the inside passage when it started to drizzle (one guy was soaking wet with his umbrella over his camera). 2. How sharp my pictures were with the 50 135 and 300mm lenses (when in focus). 3.) That I had to throw out a bunch of shots due to white balance and focusing issues. I am waiting to see what Pentax does. If it doesn't offer a camera with improved light balance, faster fps and better autofocusing before my next trip, I will get something else. I am not sure that I it will be the 50d or D300. I'll have to convince myself to get an APC. Canon 5D has much better IQ and less noise. Perhaps the real future is 35mm frame. Who wants to buy a bunch of expensive lenses for a soon to be out of date format?
09-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by babelphotos Quote

The 50d with its higher frame per second burst could give me a lot more action pictures than the 3fps currently given by my K10 and K20 duo.

My D2H does 9 fps, but i only have it set at 3fps, thats all i need for my action work.

QuoteOriginally posted by babelphotos Quote
Do you see my point now or am i going to be trashed again??
Yes. Get a new system then. If you need white lenses to get a back stage pass.

Gawd, i'm so tired of this.

Dave
09-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes. That PVC look is so 1980's.

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
Oh as for the Canon "white" lenses. I call the "w@nker" lenses. My bro-in-law (who is a Canon shooter) calls them "sewer pipes".

09-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #125
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K20D, no matter what else comes along, it is a really neat camera. It works wonders for me, feels good, and operates with ease. What else matters?
09-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I think the most interesting thing about the Canon 50D as far as Pentax is concerned is the following features
AF microadjust
• +/- 20 steps
• Adjust all lenses by same amount/individually adjust up to 20 lenses

Peripheral illumination correction
• Profiles of 26 lenses includes
• space provided for 14 extra profiles

Gapless Micro lenses
Apparently the 50D's sensor has what are effectively gapless micro lenses, which significantly increases the efficiency of each pixel.

Better environmental sealing
Apparently (we've been told verbally) the 50D's body offers better environmental sealing than the EOS 40D thanks to a slightly different construction and tighter
• US: $ 1,299

Moving away from the body the grip seems pretty interesting as well.

Wireless connectivity

Pentax is going to have to come out with a Killer K30D. I can't wait.
AF micro-adjust & illumination correction at the level you mention are the types of features Ned had to fight for. Pentax truly believes they are not necessary, nor are we smart enough to handle them without problems.

Its the same if Pentax actually decides AGAIN to NOT include a 922,000 dot hi rez 3" last year tech screen instead of reusing the low rez 2.7" screen.

They work with Samsung - kings of LCDs! Give us a screen that is at least as good, with similar anti-glare properties!

Also, they must realize by now that the K30D has to have top quality state of the art live view with focusing technology eliminating the mirror clunk, EXPOSURE SIMULATION giving you real time indication on the hi rez LCD, and live histgram.

Its enough with the dismissing these features with excuses that they're not important. Obviously they are, and there's been enough time to see them on the competition, and design them in.
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #127

Ahhhh Marketing is a terrible thing to waste, eh?

The K20D and the K10D before it are excelling photographic tools. They are quite capable of taking photos (as you can see on Pentax's site dedicated to their cameras).

So the real issue here is you.... where does the introduction of new equipment leave YOU?

I know how it is, believe me.....every time something new is introduced, we feel as though we're missing something. That's the result of marketing and hype....and we're all guilty of responding too it.

Perhaps we need a group to help us get through it.

But to answer your original question... If you have a K20D and like it...keep it...if you want something new....go for it...it's your money....you don't need us to validate anything....in fact, we're gonna try and talk you out of switching anyway....because we know just how great the K20D is....otherwise we wouldnt be here.

No go out and take some pictures.

09-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Good points, well said! n/t

there is no text

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
AF micro-adjust & illumination correction at the level you mention are the types of features Ned had to fight for. Pentax truly believes they are not necessary, nor are we smart enough to handle them without problems.

Its the same if Pentax actually decides AGAIN to NOT include a 922,000 dot hi rez 3" last year tech screen instead of reusing the low rez 2.7" screen.

They work with Samsung - kings of LCDs! Give us a screen that is at least as good, with similar anti-glare properties!

Also, they must realize by now that the K30D has to have top quality state of the art live view with focusing technology eliminating the mirror clunk, EXPOSURE SIMULATION giving you real time indication on the hi rez LCD, and live histgram.

Its enough with the dismissing these features with excuses that they're not important. Obviously they are, and there's been enough time to see them on the competition, and design them in.
09-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #129
Veteran Member

I don't understand this "there is no text." replies.

Dave
09-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
I don't understand this "there is no text." replies.

Dave
That's the only thing you don't understand about him?
09-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
That's the only thing you don't understand about him?
No, more than this thing, but i can't figure this one out.

Dave
09-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
No, more than this thing, but i can't figure this one out.

Dave
I think he is simply agreeing with that post, but I'm not sure why he didn't simple say...."I agree."
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #133

It has become more commonplace, particularly in online forums for one to respond using the subject line rather than the "message" area.

In these cases, most people leave the message area blank. I either put a period there or leave it blank. Rice High in this case, decided to tell us that there was not any text.

Unnecessary, perhaps, but not a crime.
09-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #134

Totally out of the loop on this discussion but I will chime in on the D90....

It rocks!!!

I've sampled it and run prints and the Noise ability of a camera puts it squarely 2 or 3 stops more ability than the K10, not so sure about the K20 I don't have one.... I don't give a crap about the movie mode really.... A high quality Jpg at 3200 iso with standard NR on a D90 beats out my k10 at the 600- 800 range...

I was really really shocked!!!! And it's about the same price as the K20...

The difference to me and the reason I am resisting any switch to Canon or Nikon and putting up with the fact that Pentax is almost 2 years behind production is I simply j ust like the way the camera functions, is easy to use ( button placement ) and feels very much like it was a camera designed for someone who wants to take photos... rather than designed for someone who is going to over analyze every last feature of the camera which they will hardly use.... PLUS it was a much cheaper platform to buy into to get into photography anyway...

So I would never make a switch per say, I would simply adapt 2 systems... Pentax, and right now it's looking like Nikon....

Me
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulsoucy Quote
Totally out of the loop on this discussion but I will chime in on the D90....

It rocks!!!

I've sampled it and run prints and the Noise ability of a camera puts it squarely 2 or 3 stops more ability than the K10, not so sure about the K20 I don't have one.... I don't give a crap about the movie mode really.... A high quality Jpg at 3200 iso with standard NR on a D90 beats out my k10 at the 600- 800 range...

I was really really shocked!!!! And it's about the same price as the K20...

The difference to me and the reason I am resisting any switch to Canon or Nikon and putting up with the fact that Pentax is almost 2 years behind production is I simply j ust like the way the camera functions, is easy to use ( button placement ) and feels very much like it was a camera designed for someone who wants to take photos... rather than designed for someone who is going to over analyze every last feature of the camera which they will hardly use.... PLUS it was a much cheaper platform to buy into to get into photography anyway...

So I would never make a switch per say, I would simply adapt 2 systems... Pentax, and right now it's looking like Nikon....

Me
I am thinking along the same line. I get tempted by Nikon D90 and I even wrote up two blog posts:

And I am contemplating the idea of owning two systems. Yes, you can call me nuts. And I have even launched a LBA management program for myself and trying to cut down on lens and gear. I managed to cut 4 unused cameras and about 23+ lens in the last 6 months. You can see my sold items in my planning -- Hin's Sold Gear

If I really get a D90 or something along the line to D300 or Canon 40D/50D/5D, I will seem to contradict myself into running a minimalist approach to camera gear. But I am thinking of having two systems and try to plan it to use the systems for different functions. I use the Pentax for its prime and pancakes and I can use Nikon for its great zooms, fast AF, and better gear for sports and wild life. Just a LBA/CBA thoughts cross brands instead of staying and limited by one brand.

Every one that I solicit opinions may think of me as a betrayer to Pentax. But I am not as I am staying put with Pentax for its values. But the sad part sets in when competitive systems come quickly with favorable pricing and features. I pride Pentax for the following:
  • Best in backward compatibility with past and current lens
  • Best in primes with pancakes and prime lens lineup
  • Minimalist approach in DA* zooms
  • Best in in-body SR -- the best thing we are all proud up

More thoughts to be continued....