Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

How do you use an old manual lens on a modern camera?

I have an old Asashi Pentax 49mm 1.4 lens and I tried to use it on
the K-5iis I just got, but the camera wont do anything. The display
keeps flashing "F--" and neither the shutter button nor flash respond.
I've set the camera to manual focus and manual exposure. Is it even possible
to use an old manyal lens like this?

11-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are menu setting you must change (just once and then leave them for all eternity). Adam has a link / sticky somewhere on the site that addresses this. I can't find it right now....You need to set Using Aperture ring to permitted and I think that there is another one too.

11-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is possible. Someone else here will direct you to the instructions.

In the meantime - is the lens you are using an early version of the K mount or the older M42 screw mount? Both can be used on the modern camera, but the method is different.

The lens you have is probably a 50mm f1.4, with 49mm filter mount. And if it is branded Asahi Pentax is most likely the original version of K mount. The lens may be the K50 or the M50, and dates from roughly the decade 1975 to 1985. Good lenses in those days that are well worth the effort to use.
11-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Instructions:

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com

11-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I have an old Asashi Pentax 49mm 1.4 lens and I tried to use it on
the K-5iis I just got, but the camera wont do anything. The display
keeps flashing "F--" and neither the shutter button nor flash respond.
I've set the camera to manual focus and manual exposure. Is it even possible
to use an old manyal lens like this?
Here's the most complete guide:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
That worked. Thank you.
11-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy your old glass... Once you get used to the stopped down metering (which is basically like exposure lock), it's great having shake reduction with your old lenses.

11-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This is a really good guide and it got me using my M 50mm f1.7 on my K-3. I am interested in possible ways of making the manual usage a little more automated. Has anyone tried the following:
1. Using aperture priority mode with the lens set at maximum aperture. I realize this limitation that only max aperture can be used, but that is when I would use this fast lens anyway. Will the camera set shutter speed automatically?
2. Using catch in focus so the camera will fire the shot automatically when the subject comes into focus while manual focusing?
I really like the M lens but have gotten too used to automation to go back to fully manual operation except for photography of still subjects.
11-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
This is a really good guide and it got me using my M 50mm f1.7 on my K-3. I am interested in possible ways of making the manual usage a little more automated. Has anyone tried the following:
1. Using aperture priority mode with the lens set at maximum aperture. I realize this limitation that only max aperture can be used, but that is when I would use this fast lens anyway. Will the camera set shutter speed automatically?
2. Using catch in focus so the camera will fire the shot automatically when the subject comes into focus while manual focusing?
I really like the M lens but have gotten too used to automation to go back to fully manual operation except for photography of still subjects.

1. You already have aperture priority at all f stops - it's called the green button. When you press the green button the proper shutter speed is automatically selected.

2. I know that focus conformation works with manual lens but I have never used catch in focus - why not just try it?
11-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
1. You already have aperture priority at all f stops - it's called the green button. When you press the green button the proper shutter speed is automatically selected.
But to answer your question directly, if you keep the lens wide open, then yes, you can leave the mode dial in Av.

Should work fine.

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But to answer your question directly, if you keep the lens wide open, then yes, you can leave the mode dial in Av.
But why? Why would anyone purposely limit themselves to shooting wide open?
11-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So they don't have to push the green button before every exposure. Obviously very restrictive, but that's the question that was asked

Adam

11-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Because I bought that lens only for its f1.7 aperture. If I am out shooting in daylight or any situation where I do not need maximum aperture of f 1.7 I will have either the HD DA 40 Limited or DA 16-85 on my camera. For $10 at a charity sale, it was worth it since I wanted an inexpensive fast lens for dedicated low light situations.

---------- Post added 11-12-17 at 08:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So they don't have to push the green button before every exposure. Obviously very restrictive, but that's the question that was asked
Thanks Adam you answered it perfectly.

Last edited by jddwoods; 11-12-2017 at 07:07 PM.