Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Dan switched to Canon because he's shooting birds in flight all the time and he was complaining about AF with Pentax bodies/lenses. Also, from what I know, he does a lot of sessions using flash and he wasn't happy about the flash options either.
That's not the version I had, he is doing portraiture mostly, wildlife occasionally, the version I had was that he selected Canon for the after sales service. He got a 6D, wasn't for the AF module for tracking BiF I hope for him...

---------- Post added 12-11-17 at 21:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
I have lived in India and also in US so have first hand experience of how companies treat most of the world.
When shooting wildlife, I realized that animals are free to decide where they go , their main motive is the presence of food. Understanding this got me a lot more nice wildlife photos.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-12-2017 at 01:59 PM.
11-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric, if this is true:
QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
I have produced amazing photos.
then so is this:
just gear lust as usual.

But it's more on the lens side and the cost of Pentax Lenses.
Any specific lens you're looking for?
BTW, the New York dealers may be cheaper than the UK.
11-12-2017, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I guess it depends on what you like to shoot. I just switched to Canon in July, I switched because I do almost 90% wildlife shooting and the Canon lens lineup is just better. I thought the Pentax auto focus was ok but then after using the Canon I was blown away with how good it was compared to my K1. I was planning on keeping the K1 and my smaller lenses but I decided to sell it all.

If you do more landscape, street, portrait or astro I would stick with Pentax, but if it is more expensive and hard to come by maybe switching does make sense.

Find the lenses you want and then go with that system, bodies will be upgraded faster than good glass will so spend your money there.
11-12-2017, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Since moving to the UK I have gained a new market with a lot more options. The problem is that there either isn't a lot of Pentax gear available here in the UK and what is available seems very high priced. I feel like I want to make the jump to better optics but cant justify the price. Anything passed the 55-300mm takes a massive jump in price, even second hand. If I can find it second hand.
As long as you're fine with ordering online, you can get anything from the EU without import duties (for now), which could lead to big savings. There are also stores like SRS and WEX in the UK that carry the full Pentax lineup, and there is currently a £300 holiday rebate on the new K-1, dropping its price to £1,699.99. If you subtract VAT, this makes the body cheaper than in the US. That offer may only be available directly form Ricoh.

When the K-1 gets a little older, it'll surely drop in price, especially second-hand. If the current offer is still too high, I therefore think it might be a good idea to wait until you can find a K-1 that's within your budget. You could also pursue something like the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 or the FA* 28-70mm, or even the D FA 28-105mm paired with a high-quality 50mm as an alternative to the more expensive D FA 24-70mm.

There are many great replies in this thread regarding after-sales service, third-party support, and other advantages of Canon (and maybe Nikon, though they're probably struggling more than Pentax in terms of finances right now). But if it's image quality you're after, it's still hard to beat the K-1 in terms of value. Ultimately, the decision will depend on your purchasing timeframe, budget, and needs. Best of luck with the decision!

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Where you live makes a lot of difference. You have to go with what is available there. Companies pander to US customers, give deep discounts and does not care about "most" of the world. I do not blame them because they are behind revenue. On the same lines I/we do not have to be loyal them.
Not sure this is accurate with respect to Pentax. The US is actually a pretty small market for them, and the lack of a ludicrous tax rate combined with competition is what makes the apparent cost in the US lower. Canadian, Asian, and European customers get longer warranties, so ultimately it's probably a wash.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Simply put:
1 - with Canon you loose Sony sensors thus your DR will lower to about 11 EV. My old K5 scored 14 EV being an APSC...Depending on your subjects, this would be a problem. Also consider that Canon sensors are NOT iso-invariant. for landscapes you'll notice the difference
2 - Canon does not permit WB on the fly, while Pentax and Nikon do
3 - For flash Nikon is the best with its CLS.
4 - Professional use means backup so you'll need a second body (more costs)
5 - Canon has a very good and woldwide Professional service.
11-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I doubt you'll see much difference in lens prices - most brands put their top end gear at roughly the same prices - there might be more second hand lenses on the market - but more buyers too.

Personally I would look at which brand has the best service for repairs and replacement - that will probably be Nikon or Canon, but it will depend on local supply lines.
11-12-2017, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

I use Pentax and Nikon . I don't make better photos with Nikon. Simply I have access to a big market of used items at lower prices than Pentax gear, eventually cheap FF and slighty better AF performance shooting sports. Nikon is just better for flash. But if there's a limit with my gear, it's my technique.

11-12-2017, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

... Much more affordable options if I wanted to go full frame with a second hand 6d ... I love my K70 ...
Why are you thinking of going full frame? IMO the 6D was a good value when it came out, but the K-70 is considerably newer and a better camera for most situations.
11-12-2017, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I can understand your dilemma as there are definitely more choices on the Canon side compare to Pentax, which is pretty much true almost everywhere in the world. Like others have suggested, the reason why people choose C&N brand are mostly the availability and high quality lenses (not cheap ones). I have close relatives/friends who shoot/own Canon 6D and Nikon D750, I can honestly say that my k-1 is better than the D750 and far better than the 6D. I am a stage/event photographer, I don't shoot birds or wild-life animal, so I have no need for super fast long lenses, but if you are, then C&N brand may be a better choice for you.
11-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

If we look more at the disadvantages of Pentax then you'll likely shift. When I bought into Pentax, I really considered the reasons why I should buy into the system. Pentax ain't that bad as some would bash it. The image quality could be classified as superb with the K-1, KP and the K-70, which you said you have. AF and video are the areas where Pentax lag behind. Between the two, I'd like to see some improvements on AF.

As for your shifting, consider what you want to do and look for the system that fits your use. Good luck.
11-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
Simply put:
1 - with Canon you loose Sony sensors thus your DR will lower to about 11 EV. My old K5 scored 14 EV being an APSC...Depending on your subjects, this would be a problem. Also consider that Canon sensors are NOT iso-invariant. for landscapes you'll notice the difference
5 - Canon has a very good and woldwide Professional service.
Two excellent points made by bm75.
In controlled lighting situations, the Canon sensor is fine but in high contrast situations outdoors I commonly see a lot of blown highlights or lost detail in shadows. A +/- 10EV range at ISO 100 down to +/- 6EV at 1600 ISO?

In my intro digital photo class, the first assignment students shoot ISO 100 RAW and bracket +2EV, normal, and -2EV and then learn to edit for corrections post-process. The Canon skies are so blown out, Photoshop all color is lost and most detail. The Canon lowest zone shadows go to ink black with only noise if you try to recover it. The same is much less true with Pentax and Nikon produced RAW files.

Canon 6D Mark II Dynamic Range is a Big Disappointment

DXOmark gave the 6D II higher marks at nearly +/- 12EVs but the K-1 is superior at +/- 14.6EVs

Canon EOS 6D Mark II Sensor Review: Great color and ISO performance - DxOMark
Pentax K-1 : Tests and Reviews - DxOMark

Not everyone is a tech engineering nerd and DXOmark is not the final authority on anything, but if you look at their charts, you can see that photographers aren't buying most Canons because of any technical superiority:
Camera Sensor Reviews - DxOMark

For pros, Canon currently has, by far, the best service worldwide, and the largest inventory. But for me, shooting RAW, I still struggle with DR and often find myself bracketing for HDR and this potential quality issue is a concern with every shot.

If you look at a magazine like Nat Geo or Outdoor Photographer, you will see a disproportionate amount of Nikon, Sony, and Pentax camera produced images because of the Sony sensor's superior DR. In fact it's one reason some of us still shoot film. There are still plenty of awesome Canon shots, but not proportionate to the ratio of Canon vs. others purchased worldwide.
11-12-2017, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Always wanting something new when really I don't need.
Very much a trap, Eric, I hope you see past that. L Series glass from Canon is very good, very expensive.

You can get a second hand K-1 (you didn't mention that possibility) and lenses, too, great ones going back to 1975 and beyond if price is your overriding concern, as you say it is in your OP.
11-12-2017, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

The first DSLR I ever used was a Canon Rebel EOS (don't remember the exact model number) back around 2005. It was enough to make me want a DSLR but not it wasn't enough to make me look at Canon and only Canon. The second DSLR I ever used was a Nikon D50 of my dad's, which I now own. It was the camera that made me decide it was time to get a DSLR, but it definitely didn't sell me on Nikon and still hasn't. As a result, when I made the decision to jump into a DSLR, I kept an open mind and ultimately landed on Pentax as offering the most camera for the money. I've been happy with that decision from day one and it would take something pretty astounding--and astoundingly affordable--to successfully entice me switch at this point.

Last edited by E-man; 11-12-2017 at 10:29 PM.
11-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Given the fact that the most important thing is the image as the final output of our passion, I'm wandering if a brand is recognizable in processed images. Looking at large numbers of images online, i found I'm able to recognize the files of the 6d 90% of the times. The same with 5d miii. The look of those images is different. it seems like the pattern of the image has something particular and colors are different. I find this a repetitive character. But in any way I can tell if this looking depends on how people postprocessed the image given the characteristics of the canon raw capture or if it is a real difference.
If the OP shares this finding and likes the look of the images (without being able to achieve similar results by postprocessing) this is another point to consider.
11-12-2017, 11:27 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax chose you Eric