Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 152 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
You mean the K3, which I stated it wasn't "nearly identical" too. The D750's ranked 14th, the K3 71th. The K-1 has a superior sensor to the D750 and it's a bargain for that sensor. I never argued otherwise.

If the AF is adequate for you great, I disagree and that was a factor in not purchasing one even as a longtime Pentax user.
The way I look at it is, I can get lucky , or use various techniques to get images similar to what you can get with a D750, no D750 image will ever be as good a properly exposed K-1 image. It's all about what you value. You may have more chance of getting the image, but if I get it, my K-1 image will be better.

Last time I was out selling I was making maybe $40 on an 11x14 but over $200 on a 20x30. For me getting the best looking large print is important. And I know Nikon Shooters that shoot D810s instead of D750s or D4s for the same reason. It's a personal choice, but really adds nothing to the conversation, I've heard it from both sides a million times. Sometimes among Nikon and Canon users who are choosing between different models of their own cameras.

Once you've been around a while you'll realize this is a decision folks go through every time they buy a camera. I know folks who have D750s, I know folks who have D810s because what they want out of their images is different. Talking K-1 is pretty much the same as their arguments for the D810. This is not about Pentax. Personally I don't care if my buddy buys the D750 or the D810, it's his choice. He's choosing one design philosophy over another.

Most people however don't take the time to argue their point with people who have made another choice. We have already made that decision, have already considered every argument you've posted and decided there are other things we value more than what you value.

Thanks for announcing on the forum that you're not buying a Pentax. My personal opinion about the D750 is 6.5 is too slow for action. I'm used to the 8 FPS of my K-3, 6.5 FPS sounds slow now. 24 MP does not take advantage of the size of the sensor. 24 MP is what you expect from APS-c. And those are just as valid criticisms as anything you've posted as negatives for Pentax. It's all about what you value.

For what i do, a D750 is essentially an underperforming APS-c camera with an FF sensor in it.

There's is absolutely no sense debating some person's values. But long story short, in the big picture, it makes no difference to anyone but you.

Peace, and close the door on the way out.

Last edited by normhead; 02-02-2018 at 07:05 AM.
02-02-2018, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Peace, and close the door on the way out.

Enjoy your gear Norm.
02-02-2018, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Enjoy your gear Norm.
I do, every sunny day, no matter which of my 4 formats and 6 cameras I use. They all do something special.
02-02-2018, 11:19 AM - 3 Likes   #289
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Great capture Clacka!...hows it do with bicycles?
We both know that when a shaky DPR staffer gets on a shaky bicycle, AF systems fail, Surfar!

02-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #290
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems you are more into equipment than taking pictures.
You can spend a lot of money trying to find "camera Nirvana".
You have an excellent camera in the K70 get out and enjoy taking pictures.
The K70 is my second Pentax (still have a K100D) and it will be my last.
It does more than I now require and I will grow into it as I use it more.
02-10-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #291
Forum Member

Wow, comparing the D750 to an underperforming crop camera is a bit extreme. I am currently switching to Nikon myself, inhad been considering the K-1 but have held off on both that and expanding my lens collection for quite some time. I finally made my decison in December for the following reasons:

- Better AF. I like shooting action, things like soccer and the motorcycle ice racing I will be shooting tomorrow.
- Low noise: The D750 is excellent with high ISOs which is awesome for low light shooting. No crop camera will touch it.
- Lenses: This has been my biggest hangup, there are lenses and upgrades i wanted but i got cold feet on the whole system when 3rd parties stopped supporting. I like the 1.8 primes I have now, I really like shooting wide open, I am super impressed by the new Tamron G2 lenses not being made for Pentax, i just did some hand held testing of the Tamron 70-200 G2 that came in the mail yesterday and it had no issuse at all shooting 200mm and 1/25 shutter hand held, its an amazing lens and the VR is mindblowing. I also like my excellent wide angle Tokina which was quite the bargen in price.
- Tons of used market equipment available and not expensive.
- Flash Systems: I enjoy flash photography and now that I’m investing in the very reasonabily priced but fully equipt ecosystem from Godox I am just amazed at what it can do. I use a mix of speedlights and strobes. Godox has it all unless you shoot Pentax. I also have a SB600 I picked up for a steal at a pawn shop, have made use of the Nikon CLS with that for some off camera at night street photography and that was also amazing.
- I got my D750 with grip plus some other extras for $1500 from B&H - that is a bargen that has never been matched.

Pentax has some advantages, but ultimately i found that those advantages were no longer outweighing what i wanted to be able to do. I made the switch and have been very happy with it so far. Still have my K-5ii and I am still using it for some stuff, but less than my other camera. I do less landscapes than anything else it seems, the lenses I had and wanted on my wish list were allmost all not WR so WR isnt really key.

Comes down to what you want from a system, so far Nikon is showing me more of what I want for what I want to do so that is where I am going now... Took me a couple years to make the jump though, and there are some things I do miss (ergonomics on my K-5ii being one of them).
02-11-2018, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nkull Quote
Wow, comparing the D750 to an underperforming crop camera is a bit extreme. I am currently switching to Nikon myself, inhad been considering the K-1 but have held off on both that and expanding my lens collection for quite some time. I finally made my decison in December for the following reasons:

- Better AF. I like shooting action, things like soccer and the motorcycle ice racing I will be shooting tomorrow.
- Low noise: The D750 is excellent with high ISOs which is awesome for low light shooting. No crop camera will touch it.
- Lenses: This has been my biggest hangup, there are lenses and upgrades i wanted but i got cold feet on the whole system when 3rd parties stopped supporting. I like the 1.8 primes I have now, I really like shooting wide open, I am super impressed by the new Tamron G2 lenses not being made for Pentax, i just did some hand held testing of the Tamron 70-200 G2 that came in the mail yesterday and it had no issuse at all shooting 200mm and 1/25 shutter hand held, its an amazing lens and the VR is mindblowing. I also like my excellent wide angle Tokina which was quite the bargen in price.
- Tons of used market equipment available and not expensive.
- Flash Systems: I enjoy flash photography and now that I’m investing in the very reasonabily priced but fully equipt ecosystem from Godox I am just amazed at what it can do. I use a mix of speedlights and strobes. Godox has it all unless you shoot Pentax. I also have a SB600 I picked up for a steal at a pawn shop, have made use of the Nikon CLS with that for some off camera at night street photography and that was also amazing.
- I got my D750 with grip plus some other extras for $1500 from B&H - that is a bargen that has never been matched.

Pentax has some advantages, but ultimately i found that those advantages were no longer outweighing what i wanted to be able to do. I made the switch and have been very happy with it so far. Still have my K-5ii and I am still using it for some stuff, but less than my other camera. I do less landscapes than anything else it seems, the lenses I had and wanted on my wish list were allmost all not WR so WR isnt really key.

Comes down to what you want from a system, so far Nikon is showing me more of what I want for what I want to do so that is where I am going now... Took me a couple years to make the jump though, and there are some things I do miss (ergonomics on my K-5ii being one of them).

Same thing for me. I waited until this past December to see if the third party support would show up for Pentax but it hasn't. Too many great Sigma and Tamron lenses in the past few years that aren't in Pentax mount. I do hope they show up in the future however.

02-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #293
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
well sold of my k70 body and now I have nothing left from Pentax but some extension tubes.

selling it off gave me mixed emotions. I sold all the perks of the camera and omitted all the down sides. I have learnt a lot with pentax and I wouldnt be were I am now if it werent for Pentax loading up entry level cameras with full functions. Most d3300 dont have half the befores the k50 and k70 have. But my journey continues and I am now a sony shooter. I will learn with this new set up and hopefully stay away from buying more than I need. The real piece of mind is now that cameras are digital, they will always have an expiry date and I know for fact I will have a new camera at some point after the sony and who knows which camera it will be. I applaud the loyalty but at the end of the day its a camera and maybe when pentax makes a camera worthy of coming back to I will.

After the released of new k1ii, I feel quite good about changing systems. It just shows no progress. will have to wait and see the reviews.
02-24-2018, 12:56 AM   #294
Veteran Member

After some time looking for a K1 for my Pentax manual focus primes, being also a Nikon shooter, I've found a d800 at a bargain price. I was interested in FF , not in the 36 mpx nor in the d800 but I already had some lenses for Nikon FF so I gave it a try. My experience: 36 mpx are DEMANDING for high quality lenses (I have 24 2.8 D, 50 1.4D, 80-200D 2.8, tokina 100 macro ). My lenses were not on par with the demands of the d800. I mean: 24 d 2,8 immediately traded for a 20 AFS 1.8; I'm testing the 80-200d compared with newest Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM non macro I used on APSC (still a FF lens) and finding no evidences of a really better performance. The D800 is a very slow camera, definetly you see microblur if your tachnique and equipment are not ok. So... I'm thinking my Pentax lenses would perform not good on the k1 36 mpxs but contrary to what happens in this market for Nikon, there are few possibilities to trade my lenses for newest ones better performing on digital/36 mpx. This is a valuable point for those who are intended to switch brand, unfortunately.
02-24-2018, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
After the released of new k1ii, I feel quite good about changing systems. It just shows no progress. will have to wait and see the reviews.
Best of luck for the OP and the Sony system. I love Sony for their video gear, but always felt that and audio was much more their focus than still photography. Time will tell how your change in systems actually improves (or not) your photographic images.

At the end of the day, no one really cares about what you shot it with, but rather the shot itself. And I respectfully disagree that the K1 II "shows no progress". When Sonyʻs 42MP A7RII released in mid-2015 was refreshed in late 2017 by the still 42MP A7RIII, was that also "no progress"?

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
My experience: 36 mpx are DEMANDING for high quality lenses. My lenses were not on par with the demands of the d800. This is a valuable point for those who are intended to switch brand, unfortunately.
This is an excellent and important point. Even more reason to upgrade lenses before upgrading cameras. The lenses should be with you over the span of many cameras and if you get the best from the start, upgrading to better sensors will not be an issue.

Time and time again, I see people buying the best cameras they can afford, and then go cheap on the lenses because they spent their budget on the camera. It really should be the other way around.
02-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #296
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Best of luck for the OP and the Sony system. I love Sony for their video gear, but always felt that and audio was much more their focus than still photography. Time will tell how your change in systems actually improves (or not) your photographic images.

At the end of the day, no one really cares about what you shot it with, but rather the shot itself. And I respectfully disagree that the K1 II "shows no progress". When Sonyʻs 42MP A7RII released in mid-2015 was refreshed in late 2017 by the still 42MP A7RIII, was that also "no progress"?
I do agree there, progression from the lower models was minimal. A7r to a7rii. Time will tell. If anything switching so far has made me feel less connected to one brand which makes it easier to see myself changing companies as my photography grows and goes through different phases. I did feel a bit protective being that I thought I must stay with pentax. but its like a tv, nobody thinks much about changing tv's but when it comes to cameras there are such loyalties and cultures behind each camera.

If I all of sudden get into wildlife and sports photography I am sure I'll debate leaving sony for something else. Like many people said, its a tool to get the shots you want. photo is all that matters.

As for lenses I did opt to pay a bit more for quality, getting the 24-105mm which is sonys latest lenses will newest af motors and optics. Hopefully this will set me up for the next few bodies at least.

I am looking forward to seeing what the k3iii will be like. Think this will show more is pentax means progress or not. k3ii to k3iii should show a much larger growth than the k1 to k1ii.
02-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I left Cannon and Nikon and not looking back. No way did I ever have the image quality as I now have with my K3-II and my two K-1 and my Pentax lenses. When my K1-II comes it it will even have greater image quality. Yep, not looking back and don't miss the Cannon and Nikon camera and lenses I had and sold all of them.
02-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #298
Pentaxian

I find it interesting to read about the people here leaving Pentax for one reason or another. I wish you all well - but I couldn't go to Nikon. Even with the latest DSLRs, the colors just never seem right to me like they seem with Pentax and to a lesser extent with Canon - I could live with Canon colors, but not Nikon's, I think. Or at least I would end up spending a lot of time in PP with Nikon to get the colors more to my liking, especially skin color and greens.
But to each their own and I'm sure if I did BIF or action that was more demanding than just kids sports, I'd probably think differently.
02-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #299
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I find it interesting to read about the people here leaving Pentax for one reason or another. I wish you all well - but I couldn't go to Nikon. Even with the latest DSLRs, the colors just never seem right to me like they seem with Pentax and to a lesser extent with Canon - I could live with Canon colors, but not Nikon's, I think. Or at least I would end up spending a lot of time in PP with Nikon to get the colors more to my liking, especially skin color and greens.
But to each their own and I'm sure if I did BIF or action that was more demanding than just kids sports, I'd probably think differently.
Indeed color rendition is a personal choice so arguing over it is a waste of time. I did a blind test of a few dozen images taken with different cameras and overwhelming chose the Nikon for color. That doesn't mean everyone likes that look.

The interesting thing is, it seems if Ricoh would have just released a proper K-3 II successor a year ago a number of us wouldn't have looked elsewhere.

Now some of us are one foot (or both) into another brand. It is a tough industry and lengthening release times isn't helping.. it is a buyers market. You don't want to lose buyers.. esp ones that have been years and years buying your products... because the number of prospective buyers doesn't seem to be getting any larger and it takes time to build long term sales relationships.

That said, I'm sort of getting the impression that maybe we're currently in a turning point for Pentax as a brand. Away from the all-purpose K-7/5/3 type bodies and into a more 'boutique' high IQ brand. If true, then it was only a matter of time before the brand shook those of us off looking for something they don't want to offer anymore. But I cannot be certain of that because, well, I cannot see what is happening in the Ricoh labs. And they don't share too openly. Even the reports of a K-3 III are strictly rumors not from Ricoh themselves.

So it is really difficult to tell being on the outside wondering what to do... wait? go? Hard to tell. And leaving your buyers to guess is a bad idea. Doing that just means people will wait until their patience is up and they'll fly... often with a bad taste in their mouth.

Same thing happened between D300 and D500. I even saw a few Nikon shooters come here to get a K-3 since it seemed, on first glance, to be the upgrade. Companies today seem to let their buyers be expendable. Minimal effort to retain buyers...

But the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade is an interesting approach. I suspect it is a one-off. But still it seems to be an attempt to keep K-1 owners around.. so I think they're trying..
02-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #300
Pentaxian

well sold of my k70 body and now I have nothing left from Pentax but some extension tubes.
I am now a sony shooter.
Can i ask which model?

---------- Post added 02-25-18 at 03:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
When Sonyʻs 42MP A7RII released in mid-2015 was refreshed in late 2017 by the still 42MP A7RIII, was that also "no progress"?
Can i ask exactly what you mean please?