Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Very much a trap, Eric, I hope you see past that. L Series glass from Canon is very good, very expensive.

You can get a second hand K-1 (you didn't mention that possibility) and lenses, too, great ones going back to 1975 and beyond if price is your overriding concern, as you say it is in your OP.
I have to agree... I got a 'used' k-1 (with only 100 clicks) in Tokyo here for about 1400, which is IMHO far better than a brand new Canon 6D. I hope you have a chance to handle a k-1 and compare them with Canon, you will know it yourself, which one you prefer.

11-12-2017, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I came to Pentax from Canon as an ex-pro here in the uk and absolutely understand your dilemma. I too have considered switching to Nikon for a better flash system and AF. But ultimately decided it would cost more in the long run.
There are good deals to be had if you watch LCE, SRS and Wex. And I find that I tend to hang on to my robust, good quality Pentax gear for longer, which tends to make for better value for money in the long term. I’m using flash guns and Ltd primes that I paid for a decade ago and still getting brilliant results from them.
K1 image quality it truly outstanding and I feel like I’m on less of an upgrade ‘treadmill’.
I am noticing though that Brexit seems to be reducing the number of good deals here in the uk. But when I track other brands the situation seems similar.
11-13-2017, 04:06 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would figure out what the cost of your ultimate lens line up along with a full frame camera body would be both with Canon and Pentax. I don't know UK prices, but at least in the US, Pentax is pretty competitive. I would have a tough time comparing the 6D or 6D II to the K-1 as I feel like the K-1 is more on a 5D IV level, but if you are satisfied with the 6D sensor performance then it is a little cheaper than a K-1. Starting with lenses like the Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 and DA 50 f1.8 would definitely save money as well.

Good luck with your decision.
11-13-2017, 04:57 AM   #34
Pentaxian

If someone was buying a 7DII or a 1DxII, I'd understand, the performance gap in terms of auto-focus in significant. Usually for someone switching from a Pentax to a Canon low end gear, it is a bit of a silly choice. Nevertheless, I've seen many times folks buying the cheapo canon stuff as a "me too" product, basically, you've talked to a few amateur using canon entry level gear for casual shooting and they said they are satisfied. It's more unusual to meet Pentaxians. Worse... I've got a friend he only believe in Canon and... every-time I wanted to lend him my Pentax gear he refused to look at it. Among photographers, different kind of folks, some are not brand addicts they don't care much about the brand name they are more interested in photography per say; while others are rather close minded, "if that's a Pentax that's not good, regardless the model". Usually, the most talented photog are more interesting to get along with, it's really nice to go out shooting with someone who doesn't care about the brand of gear.

11-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Illl try and reply as well to the ones that gave me some good information.

To anyone who thinks I'm not being informed, this is why I am here and why I love the pentax community. I'm not all all trying to start a oh canon is better. I like any shopper out there just 2ants value for money.

To be honest I thought the k1 would be out of budget more on the lens side. So I will look into it. The k1 would of course be above and beyond the 6d.

I live my K70 and how it works and the buttons and menus, sensor. No complaints there. I will continue my research because I wouldn't be able to afford a new k1 and the rent aren't many used coming online that I could purchase and avoid massive duty tax.
I suppose is I could sell my gear get a k1 good wide angle landscape lens and a good telephoto lens I would be super happy.

It's more with lens. For instance I have found in my area the canon ef 70-200 f4 for under 400 pounds and I have heard countless good things about that lens. I am sure it is better than my 55-300 dal. However when a pentax lens comes up of similar upgrade. Even if the pentax is better quality the price is reflected. The other day I found a da 300 f4 costing 850 pounds. I also saw a da 16-50 wr 2.8 for 400 pounds. Still expensive.

To be honest if I could sell my 55-300mm and 10-17 and get a decent upgrade telephoto lens for much K70 my problem would be solved. Just finding in in the UK second hand for a good price.

Thanks everyone and I'll be asking more questions when I'm not at work.

Cheers
11-13-2017, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

IMO a lot of valuable advice and opinion offered here.

Have you considered hiring the camera and lens of your dreams for a couple of days?
It will allow you to gain hands on experience and even run side by side comparisons to see what advantages it brings to your particular table. You may find the cost of hire well worth while even if you do not pursue by buying a particular model.

This is exactly what I did prior to buying my 645. Subsequently bought the camera from them as well as a good price and half the hire charge refunded. I used Calumet which has now been merged with Wex. Currently only seem to offer one Pentax but this may change with the new owners. It is usual for the 1 day hire cost to be applied to a full weekend e.g. order for delivery Saturday will mean a Friday delivery and a Monday pickup at the same cost as 1 day during the week - expect around £150 for camera and lens.

My preference Nikon accepting YMMV :-)
Nikon DSLR Cameras | Camera | Hire | Rent | Wex Rental
11-13-2017, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
It's more with lens. For instance I have found in my area the canon ef 70-200 f4 for under 400 pounds and I have heard countless good things about that lens. I am sure it is better than my 55-300 dal.
If a 6D and the 70-200 f4 is what you need, then why not just get a DA* 50-135 2.8 for your K-70 ? There isn't anything you could do with the Canon combo that you couldn't do as well with the Pentax one. If fact, you could probably do more with the Pentax since you'll get stabilization and the used Canon you see on the cheap are probably the non IS version of the lens. Used, the DA* 50-135 is about the same price as the Canon 70-200 f4 non IS.

On the other hand, the 55-300 isn't about top quality, it's about affordable reach. On a 6D, you will need to buy a zoom covering at least to 450mm to get the same reach. The Canon 100-400 L isn't any cheaper than a DA* 60-250 for your K-70... If you don't want to pay more for the high end Pentax glass relative to the 55-300, I don't see why paying even more for Canon glass would be more acceptable or cheaper...

11-13-2017, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Illl try and reply as well to the ones that gave me some good information.

To anyone who thinks I'm not being informed, this is why I am here and why I love the pentax community. I'm not all all trying to start a oh canon is better. I like any shopper out there just 2ants value for money.

To be honest I thought the k1 would be out of budget more on the lens side. So I will look into it. The k1 would of course be above and beyond the 6d.

I live my K70 and how it works and the buttons and menus, sensor. No complaints there. I will continue my research because I wouldn't be able to afford a new k1 and the rent aren't many used coming online that I could purchase and avoid massive duty tax.
I suppose is I could sell my gear get a k1 good wide angle landscape lens and a good telephoto lens I would be super happy.

It's more with lens. For instance I have found in my area the canon ef 70-200 f4 for under 400 pounds and I have heard countless good things about that lens. I am sure it is better than my 55-300 dal. However when a pentax lens comes up of similar upgrade. Even if the pentax is better quality the price is reflected. The other day I found a da 300 f4 costing 850 pounds. I also saw a da 16-50 wr 2.8 for 400 pounds. Still expensive.

To be honest if I could sell my 55-300mm and 10-17 and get a decent upgrade telephoto lens for much K70 my problem would be solved. Just finding in in the UK second hand for a good price.

Thanks everyone and I'll be asking more questions when I'm not at work.

Cheers
The Canon 70-200 f4 non-IS is about the only cheap L lens. The rest are quite pricey. And I think you would probably notice the lack of IS/SR pretty quickly. On the other hand the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is also pretty cheap and might be something to look at if cost is an issue.
11-13-2017, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Take a look at the 50-135 f/2.8 lens for Pentax. It's a stunning lens worth every penny. It costs a similar amount to the 70-200 f/4 and would perform very similarly, if not better.

Alternatively you may wish to buy the 60-250. That's also an amazing lens for the money, and it is available for around £500 online too. You may just have to wait for a while to get one at that price though.
11-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Have you tried AA batteries?

Get those death adders outa your pockets,buy a K-1.With the 28-105!
I did try the AA adapter. Nothing seemed to work. Although I might check to see if it goes away with older full manual lenses. Either way i got a steal on the k70 and never looked back. Not sure what a broken k50 is worth these days. thinking if I can turn it into a house decorative item

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
You can pick up a K-1 for around £1200 fairly frequently on the second hand market (think Gumtree, eBay). The lenses are a bit more dear if you want something like the D-FA 28-105 (people don't like selling it!). My advice is to keep an eye out for second hand items and only buy when the price suits you. If there's anything in particular you feel you're looking for, drop me a PM and I'll give you a heads up if I ever see it for sale.
are you here in the UK?

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It sounds like you are stuck in a bind created by a desire to move to a larger format and a scarcity of affordable Pentax FF options in your market, new or used. The huge question is whether the move to FF is supported by your usual choice of subjects, current "pain" in terms of ability to address subjects, and intended direction, photographically. And no, perception of "higher" does not count. Questions to ask one's self:
  • What is the allure of FF?
  • Have the negatives of FF been considered? They are real and also expensive.
  • Will the 6D provide better image quality? Why would one think so or not?
  • What does one desire from the 6D that is missing on other FF bodies from Canon, Nikon, or Sony? Price is not a real good answer.
  • If purchasing used, what concerns might that create?
  • Will the lack of IBIS be a loss?
  • Does the sweet point of affordability, build, and optical quality exist for EOS FF lenses needed for one's kit? Why would one think so or not?
  • Does one intend to use adapted vintage lenses on the 6D? Think "mirror clearance".
  • Value of current kit used for resale
Good luck with a hard decision

Steve
WEX gave me a quote on my kit...thought it would be a good starting point and for every piece of gear I own they would give me £550. helps make the idea of switching way more painful.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The best place for second hand pentax gear is right here in this forum (at least from an English speaking perspective).
do you know the import regulations for camera gear. From what I read EU is duty free. But everything after £150 is subjet to 20% VAT and duty fees?

any good english websites listing Pentax gear?

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
>>>"Since moving to the UK I have gained a new market with a lot more options. The problem is that there either isn't a lot of Pentax gear available here in the UK and what is available seems very high priced..."

Where you live makes a lot of difference. You have to go with what is available there. Companies pander to US customers, give deep discounts and does not care about "most" of the world. I do not blame them because they are behind revenue. On the same lines I/we do not have to be loyal them. Use what ever suites. I use Pentax products because I happen to start with MZ-50 in film days. I have lived in India and also in US so have first hand experience of how companies treat most of the world.
before I was in New Zealand and there wasn't much choice and any lens I wanted would go over the duty free threshold. but did manage to upgrade my kit a bit. Now in the UK I will pretty much have to order it online without being able to test it or inspect it first. No one in my area is selling enough pentax gear. Just seems like the good stuff don't come on the market that often and when they do they disappear pretty fast.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As long as you're fine with ordering online, you can get anything from the EU without import duties (for now), which could lead to big savings. There are also stores like SRS and WEX in the UK that carry the full Pentax lineup, and there is currently a [

is it worth buying full frame lenses so I can stick with my k70 but keep the door open for full frame down the road or is it not an efficient way to build up good glass for an APSC body

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Very much a trap, Eric, I hope you see past that. L Series glass from Canon is very good, very expensive.

You can get a second hand K-1 (you didn't mention that possibility) and lenses, too, great ones going back to 1975 and beyond if price is your overriding concern, as you say it is in your OP.
i came across a K1 when i first moved to the UK and almost grabbed it, but since then I never seen full frame lenses come up for sale and there would would be stuck buying new and expensive ones or trying to find bargains online for second hand.

I check every day to see whats come up online

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Pentax chose you Eric
thats why I wouldnt consider switching with serious thought behind it. the k50 was an amazing camera to me and I was shocked playing around with a friends Rebel and d3500. something simple like missing a back wheel buton or simple features like custom k value white balance, built in time lapse and wr body. I was able to learn advance techniques with an entry level body and that why I love Pentax and the k70 still have features I havent fully explored.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HippyHippo Quote
I came to Pentax from Canon as an ex-pro here in the uk and absolutely understand your dilemma. I too have considered switching to Nikon for a better flash system and AF. But ultimately decided it would cost more in the long run.
There are good deals to be had if you watch LCE, SRS and Wex. And I find that I tend to hang on to my robust, good quality Pentax gear for longer, which tends to make for better value for money in the long term. I’m using flash guns and Ltd primes that I paid for a decade ago and still getting brilliant results from them.
K1 image quality it truly outstanding and I feel like I’m on less of an upgrade ‘treadmill’.
I am noticing though that Brexit seems to be reducing the number of good deals here in the uk. But when I track other brands the situation seems similar.
what are my best options for second hand Pentax gear in the UK. gumtree, ebay LCE SRS and WEX.

what about importing from the states or abroad outside the EU?
11-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Not sure what a broken k50 is worth these days
Its worth attaching lenses with an apeture ring.
11-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its worth attaching lenses with an apeture ring.
Definitively still works fine with older aperture ring lenses. I am sure I tested this ages ago. But I only had a 50mm lens and I did want to do a 2 month road trip in NZ with just a 50mm lens. So the k70 was still the best option. But I suppose I could sell the k50 with the aperture problem to someone who wants to shoot solely with legacy glass.
11-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I could sell the k50 with the aperture problem to someone who wants to shoot solely with legacy glass.
Or you could attempt the fixes that are in the K50 section.The AA battery one worked for me.
11-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #44
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is it worth buying full frame lenses so I can stick with my k70 but keep the door open for full frame down the road or is it not an efficient way to build up good glass for an APSC body
It can go either way. If you really want the 70-200mm, for example, it'll still work wonders with the K-70. The FA 31mm, 43mm, and 71mm limiteds would also be a perfect matchup due to their small size.

On the other hand, behemoth FF lenses like the upcoming D FA* 50mm F1.4 wouldn't be worth getting for APS-C in my opinion, because they carry a large premium for FF image quality, and the whole corner-to-corner optimization that you pay for goes out the window when you crop. You'd probably get comparable results from the cheaper FA 50mm or 43mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

are you here in the UK?
Yes, let me know if you need any help with finding anything.