Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A used DA300 would certainly be something to research. Keeping an eye on the marketplace here via the watchlist will give you an idea of the costs. It's certainly a portable long telephoto, and can be paired with the 1.4X TC should you find yourself with a few hundred Quid in your pocket.

The option of finding one great lens in another system and pairing with a good body is still open. It's not going to be any cheaper, but maybe it's worth the money. Ultimately these are questions you will need to answer.

The grass is always greenest over the grave....

11-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Just took some shots with a new (to me,) 55-300 PLM and it is pretty amazing as far as sharpness goes so far. With a max of F 4.5 it isn't a bokeh monster but silent focusing, a very nifty system of zoom lock and solid build and IQ makes it something to look for in the market. I wanted silent focusing and WR and got it.
Good luck in your search.
11-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Just took some shots with a new (to me,) 55-300 PLM and it is pretty amazing as far as sharpness goes so far. With a max of F 4.5 it isn't a bokeh monster but silent focusing, a very nifty system of zoom lock and solid build and IQ makes it something to look for in the market. I wanted silent focusing and WR and got it.
Good luck in your search.
I'm thinking of a 55-300 PLM for birds in flight. Even though I already have a DA*200, a DA*60-250, a Tamron SP AF 300 2.8 and a Sigma 70-300 I think the fast focusing of the 55-300 PLM brings something new to the table. I've long been convinced the big weakness in Pentax AF has been the motor used in the lenses not the actual AF abilities if the camera. At 55mm for kids in the yard, the AF is 8x faster than the older versions.

Last edited by normhead; 11-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.
11-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm thinking of a 55-300 PLM for birds in flight. Even though I already have a DA*200, a DA*60-250, a Tamron SP AF 300 2.8 and a Sigma 70-300 I think the fast focusing of the 55-300 PLM brings something new to the table.
Mine just arrived today and it is gray and miserable but I took some sharp pics of a few woodpeckers on the feeder. The quiet focus let me get closer than normal and the bokeh of the falling raindrops was nice looking. In fact it was almost as nice as the FA*300, just a hair less smooth.
Have you tried one yet Norm? I have not tried any flying shots yet so I can't give an opinion yet.
This is SOOC no editing at all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
11-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Mine just arrived today and it is gray and miserable but I took some sharp pics of a few woodpeckers on the feeder. The quiet focus let me get closer than normal and the bokeh of the falling raindrops was nice looking. In fact it was almost as nice as the FA*300, just a hair less smooth.
Have you tried one yet Norm? I have not tried any flying shots yet so I can't give an opinion yet.
This is SOOC no editing at all.
Live in a community of maybe 400 people 3 hours away from any major centres. I don't get much opportunity to try stuff up here. More of you should drop in and let me try out your stuff.
11-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Drop in?

Live in a community of maybe 400 people 3 hours away from any major centres. I don't get much opportunity to try stuff up here. More of you should drop in and let me try out your stuff.
I would be happy to Norm, Just the idiots in congress and such made it so I need a Passport or Passport card to visit friends and distant relatives in Canada now. I have driven across Ontario before just to stop and say hello to people I met online, and then at a computer get together in Houston, TX. so I am willing to travel. You appear to live in a beautiful area so it would be like here but with more snow!
11-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #112
Veteran Member

I'm thinking of a 55-300 PLM for birds in flight.
You'll probably gain in terms of af speed, but you'll have the same problem that you told me I have when we discussed about Sigma 150-600mm lens: the f6.3 aperture on the maximum focal length. But, Pentax lens has some nice advantages: it is weather resistant and it is small and light compared to Sigma.

11-16-2017, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
You'll probably gain in terms of af speed, but you'll have the same problem that you told me I have when we discussed about Sigma 150-600mm lens: the f6.3 aperture on the maximum focal length. But, Pentax lens has some nice advantages: it is weather resistant and it is small and light compared to Sigma.
That does concern me, the 6.3 thing, more so the fact that my wife wouldn't be able to use it on her K-5. Every day she takes the dogs for a walk across a couple of ridges with steep drops. Often we get Ravens , Hawks, Crows or Turkey Vultures playing in the updraft created by the ridge. We usually don't take the bigger lenses, it's a rough hike and often involves bush whacking. We know where we are going but there are no marked trails, and I've been confused a few times. So the lens would be bought specifically for those times. Bright light, a sky to create image separation (not bokeh) relatively close subjects. I think it could work great. Unfortunately she walks more than I do, and the lens won't work on her camera. So I have to buy her a K-P or something to use it with. That makes it pretty expensive.

The 6.3 thing limits the use of the lens in many ways, I wouldn't want one as an only lens, but if you buy it, you accept that limitation, As long as you use it for what you bought it for, you don't have a problem. Now if you take it when you should have taken your DA"300 or Tammy 300 2.8, that's a problem, your problem, not a problem with the lens.

Of course I would also say, having a 6.3 lens for morning or evening images is going to be a no go, and many of the best wildlife images are morning or evening. It won't end up getting taken on canoe trips. But for casual walks hither thither and yon in good light, it's kind of a no brainer if you can buy one for that reason.

---------- Post added 11-16-17 at 05:35 PM ----------

I would be happy to Norm, Just the idiots in congress and such made it so I need a Passport or Passport card to visit friends and distant relatives in Canada now. I have driven across Ontario before just to stop and say hello to people I met online, and then at a computer get together in Houston, TX. so I am willing to travel. You appear to live in a beautiful area so it would be like here but with more snow!
We should really have a whole Pentax gathering up here sometime. There's lots of hikes and things to introduce to your camera.

Last edited by normhead; 11-16-2017 at 06:28 PM.
11-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #114
Pentaxian

If I was starting over in digital photography, I'm not sure what I would choose Pentax. Nikon or Canon are so easy to access and as others have mentioned the aftermarket lens such as Sigma and Tamron are available, more so than Pentax.

But having said that I have a newer Pentax K-1 and I absolutely love it. The picture quality to me is phenomenal and the controls, internal processes (cropping, filters, etc.) work out exceedingly well...for me.

I do have a K10D, K-5, Km in addition and a plethora of digital lenses...all Pentax, save for one Sigma 150-500. My equipment does everything I ask of it and more.

Yeah for the first time, I had to bring in a camera (K-1) but I waited a week and a couple of days. Not so bad. In fact it got here sooner than expected.

I thought of a Canon 5Dlll or a Nikon D750, but in the end I chose a K-1. I do hope that Ricoh/Pentax keeps producing new models at the current Pentax level of quality as I'm generally very satisfied with the Pentax line, and have been for approaching 50 years.

I bought my K-1 and 28-105 in early 2017. Would I do it again ? Yep, pretty sure I would.

Good luck on your decision.

---------- Post added 11-18-17 at 10:22 PM ----------

I forgot to mention, I do have gear envy. I wouldn't mind having a brand spanking new Leica rangefinder digital camera with a new Leitz wide angle...24mm, 28mm or 35mm...fast lens somewhere around F 2 or F 1.4. But that's a pretty pricey camera outfit, more than my photography budget would allow.

However my K-1 with it's 28-105 lens...does quite well, in the absence of a Leica outfit as described.

---------- Post added 11-18-17 at 10:25 PM ----------

You know I'd much prefer this Leica combo, much more so than even the top models from either Canon or Nikon. Nothing wrong with Canikon, but I have a very old...very good... Leica RF film/ lens (Elmar) outfit and the (new) Leica RF / Leitz lens has a lot of appeal for me. But that's me.
11-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My gear envy is size and weight. I was able to hold a Canon M5 last week. Boy was it light. I wish Pentax can come up with something as light as that. However, to go mirrorless Pentax would need a new mount. I also didn't like the view of the EVF. The colors seem to be too exaggerated.
11-19-2017, 02:44 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Original Poster
for the time being I won't be going anywhere. The more I researched Canon, although there are some good deals, it will cost me much more to sell my Pentax gear and then try and buy an older second hand body and lens. I guess one of the problems as well is there aren't much people selling Pentax and there doesn't seem to be many buying. If I sold all my gear, I think I would be pressed to get £800 pounds. If I was lucky and got more, but either way that would only cover a used Canon 6d or 7d mk 2. now throw in that 70-200mm f4 non IS and another wide medium range zoom and I would be looking at another 800 pounds. but for £549 I can get the DA* 200. Which may not get the the 300mm range of the 55-300. But will get me WR and a much faster and quality lens. The DA 300 is almost £800 which is a bit much for me. the 55-300PLM even second hand is £425.

I think the built and quality of images the K70 produces I see no reason to switch at this moment, and unless it breaks I see another 2-3 years with the k70. About how long my k50 lasted and the image quality was still great. By the time that day comes I will think about the next model Pentax has (maybe future k3 III) or moving to the K1 which in 3 years will still be an upgrade from k70 and hopefully the lens will be cheaper or more second hand on the market. Or sell everything and move on.

I just ordered a 15mm limited, which gets me excited. Top quality prime with great sensor. Selling my 10-17 as im not a fish eye fan.

I also think once Pentax released a k3 replacement and maybe one day a k1 replacement then everyone will breath easier knowing they have a few more years or Pentax sticking around haha (but thats for another thread)
11-19-2017, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

I'll be putting my DA* 300mm up for sale at some point, and I believe there'll be many more people selling Pentax equipment on 'that auction site' since there's a promotional offer that reduces the fee to £1. With Black Friday coming closer, you'll probably see a few more listings than usual.
11-19-2017, 05:45 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
I'll be putting my DA* 300mm up for sale at some point, and I believe there'll be many more people selling Pentax equipment on 'that auction site' since there's a promotional offer that reduces the fee to £1. With Black Friday coming closer, you'll probably see a few more listings than usual.
are black friday deals that good in the UK?

I'm also in the market for an editing monitor and I have found a few good deals but not sure if its worth the wait until next week. If deals will actually be that good
11-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
are black friday deals that good in the UK?

I'm also in the market for an editing monitor and I have found a few good deals but not sure if its worth the wait until next week. If deals will actually be that good
It's often a mixed bag so make sure you know what (items) you're looking for. Sometimes there's a bit of sly price fixing going on so deals may look good but actually be a similar price to retail. Check out Amazon's deals. Sometimes they have some nonsensical (in a good way) prices on equipment.
11-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
It's often a mixed bag so make sure you know what (items) you're looking for. Sometimes there's a bit of sly price fixing going on so deals may look good but actually be a similar price to retail. Check out Amazon's deals. Sometimes they have some nonsensical (in a good way) prices on equipment.
couldnt wait haha. Went a bit silly today. Paid for the 15mm limited and ordered a viewsonic 2k 32in monitor, with a vesa mount. Can't wait to get it.