Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 152 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 11:26 AM ----------

what are my best options for second hand Pentax gear in the UK. gumtree, ebay LCE SRS and WEX.

what about importing from the states or abroad outside the EU?
I’ve never imported, being keen to retain a full warranty without hassle, so can’t speak from experience there.

SRS often run Pentax gear at a good discount at bank holidays and the American ‘Black Friday’ towards the end of this month, so definitely worth keeping an eye open there. SRS also list a lot of used Gear on their eBay shop. Clifton Cameras often have a few Pentax bits. London Camera Exchange often list exDemo at a good price, I picked a virtually new K1 up there a year ago with 300 actuations full warranty for £300 under retail price. Wex often list used Pentax but, if I’m honest, LCE and SRS usually seem to offer lower prices when I’ve compared.
I feel your pain though - I bet MPB have a pile of used Canon 6Ds listed on their site right now! Good luck!

11-13-2017, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are reasons owners of I.E. a Nikon APS-C DSLR in the price range of a K-70 might be envious of your gear. WR, 2-dial operation, a top-quality VF, 14 bit RAW, and much more. And the last time I looked, theirs requires the use of lenses having their own built-in motor. To get a model fully backwards-compatible costs much more. None of the Canons are.

There are things also that a 70-200mm cannot do that your DA 55-300mm can, primarily the convenience and efficiency of focal length range. The bigger, heavier lens cannot get down to 55mm, nor can it get up to 300mm. It has far more reach for on-location framing, specially if you'd be using the bigger but less FL lens on a FF body.

Another thing regarding getting an f/4 70-200mm, the DA 55-300mm can keep to f/4-4.5 up to 200mm, and with its best quality imaging, which is pretty darn good. And the framing on APS-C within that range is equivalent to 80-300mm on FF. And you'll be able to get the same shutter speed.

Until you have both lens types and use them, you will not be able to evaluate the differences between them in practical terms. I have the DA 55-300mm HD WR and like it very much. I also have the very fine DA*50-135mm f/2.8 and very fine DA* 200mm instead of a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens, choosing better on-camera handling and more at the wide end. Image quality is outstanding. I also have a Tamron 1.4x TC. These are lenses I use for specific needs and situations requiring the availability of the f/2.8 aperture capability, and/or the last word in optical quality. Otherwise, I do not hesitate to use my DA 55-300mm. Its range sometimes allows my getting an opportunistic shot which the use of the higher caliber but less FL capable lenses would not afford me. Not only that, the image quality is close enough under most conditions, that you'd be hard-pressed to actually see a difference. If I did not have SPECIFIC needs for the f/2.8 aperture, etc I would not bother owning those lenses. But when I need them, I need them. Lately I've been putting my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 to more use, combined with a DA 20-40mm Limited on my KP, since I've been doing more tele shots in low light. The DA 55-300mm HD WR has been shown by tests to be better throughout its range compared to those of the same FL by other manufacturers.

In practical terms, telephoto needs are better met with APS-C gear including your very high-quality imaging K-70. You can get similar results while using smaller, easier to handle and carry fine lenses. The DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 will present a similar image to a high-quality 70-200mm f/2.8 on a FF body. Incidentally, be sure to set sharpening to "F" for Fine Sharpening in the custom image menu for best detail resolution. I do not own a K70, but instead the KP and K-5 IIs. Same goes for them as well.

Where I find FF to be especially intriguing, is more in the wide-to-normal FL range. Take the excellent FA 35mm f/2 and the FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited for instance. Fast lenses with excellent IQ and very versatile FLs on a FF body. I know, having used them both for years on 35mm film. With APS-C you can get the 35mm equivalent by using a 24mm lens, but you will not find a fast 24mm lens having really good edge performance in any brand, and it will be a hefty, expensive lens, unlike the Pentax FA 35mm. The FA 43mm Limited is uncannily compact yet with supreme build-quality, and on FF it presents a very versatile wide-normal FL with a true normal perspective. 50mm lenses are actually slightly tele even on FF. A true normal perspective means background objects in a scene will appear having the same relative size compared to the foreground subject as would be seen on location by the naked eye. Front-to-back depth of objects from an average distance and beyond would be natural as well. Therefore a scene shot with this lens on FF will have a natural look not duplicated with other lenses. In addition, its image rendering qualities are exceptional.

Those are some of my specific reasons for acquiring certain equipment. It is always a good idea to pin down your own specific reasons for buying a type of lens or camera. Other than that, the grass always looks greener on the other side.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-13-2017 at 01:09 PM.
11-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
There are reasons owners of I.E. a Nikon APS-C DSLR in the price range of a K-70 might be envious of your gear. WR, 2-dial operation, a top-quality VF, 14 bit RAW, and much more. And the last time I looked, theirs requires the use of lenses having their own built-in motor. To get a model fully backwards-compatible costs much more.
Very true. Nikon's d3xxx and d5xxx series does not support AFD (screw driven) lenses. They have perntaMIRROR instead of pentaPRISM . I'm not able to say for the 12 bit processing.
You'll need at least a d7xxx series, but flankly speaking those are quite cheap on the used market (about 600 eur here - I paid that money for my d7100 with about 5000 actuations).

In practical terms, telephoto needs are better met with APS-C gear including your very high-quality imaging K-70
This is the real advantage of APSC. Some Nikon body has the ability to crop more a 1,3x from the DX (apsc) format . Thus my 70-200 on my d7100 becomes a cropped 120-380 mm equivalent ; resolution goes down to 10-12 mpx .

Where I find FF to be especially intriguing, is more in the wide-to-normal FL range. Take the excellent FA 35mm f/2 and the FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited for instance. Fast lenses with excellent IQ and very versatile FLs on a FF body. I know, having used them both for years on 35mm film. With APS-C you can get the 35mm equivalent by using a 24mm lens, but you will not find a fast 24mm lens having really good edge performance in any brand, and it will be a hefty, expensive lens, unlike the Pentax FA 35mm. The FA 43mm Limited is uncannily compact yet with supreme build-quality, and on FF it presents a very versatile wide-normal FL with a true normal perspective. 50mm lenses are actually slightly tele even on FF. A true normal perspective means background objects in a scene will appear having the same relative size compared to the foreground subject as would be seen on location by the naked eye. Front-to-back depth of objects from an average distance and beyond would be natural as well. Therefore a scene shot with this lens on FF will have a natural look not duplicated with other lenses. In addition, its image rendering qualities are exceptional.
On apsc we need to rethink the 50 (I don't like it in FF) like a portrait lens. This is very true for 50 1,4 lenses. But guys... if we start speaking of lenses for FF for sure Pentax lenses are here but frankly the availibiliy of modern (intended AF and SDM-HSM-USM-AFS )and cheap used lenses for FF is a point for Nikon and Canon.. In my market I find used MF Pentax item at the same price of state of the art AF recent lens from Nikon, usually with at least 1 year guarantee. Not to speak of Pentax lenses like the Fa 85 that are quite impossibile to find in my country and it available at the cost af an eye, an arm and a leg.

---------- Post added 11-14-17 at 07:43 AM ----------

Not to say that with Nikon APSC bodies you loose the WR. Nikon claims some sort of WR but in facts it lacks. My K5 was much better in this regard. The same for lenses: my AFD lenses lack any kind of gasket on the mount and the only AFS lens that have somethingis the 35 1,8. I suspect also the d600/610 and d750 Nikon FF camers lack WR

Last edited by bm75; 11-13-2017 at 11:46 PM.
11-14-2017, 01:39 AM - 4 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There was one guy (Dan Rentea) who switch from Pentax K3 to Canon 6D, but, if I understood correctly, after Pentax released the K1 it did not take him long to buy a Canon 5DIV.
Before I continue to read this thread, I have to say a few things:

1. I have the posibility to shoot with a lot of cameras from different systems and I do shoot with a lot of cameras because it's fun. But yes, my main camera is a 5D Mark IV from about 2 months
2. I replaced my 6D with 5D Mark IV not because K1 was released. My 6D paid for all the gear I own (including lights and modifiers) and it still is a great performer, despite its age. I bought a 5D Mark IV because:
- I was able to buy the camera new (with 0 actuations) with 2300 euro, which is exactly the price of K1 in Romanian stores
- it has 7fps vs 4,5fps of 6D. I had no problems with 6D's af, but 4.5fps were sometimes frustating when I wanted to shoot small and fast birds using 600mm lenses.
3. K1 is a very good camera as an all around and very potent option for landscape shooters
4. I can shoot with any camera from Pentax (KP, K-3 II, K1) and have the results I want, even if for action/wildlife I will have to work a little harder to get the results I get with Canon. The cameras are not the main reason I don't use Pentax anymore. It's the lack of support in Romania for this brand. The flash systems was another reason, but it looks like Yongnuo and Cactus solved a few issues. And the last reason was the rent posibilities which for Pentax were and still are non existent in my country. I rent lenses and cameras when I'm in the mood for buying stuff because I don't want to buy gear based on internet reviews.

That being said, despite having a 5D Mark IV, I still love to shoot with 6D because I'm not into specs, charts, graphics and so on. Yes, K1 will blow the 6D in terms of image quality, but 99% of the people who pay for my images don't have a clue about 15ev of dynamic range, 50 af points, 3D tracking, eye af autofocus, etc. So, my advice to OP is to try and rent first the cameras/lenses he wants to buy and then look at the support he has in his country for the system he chooses.

Those rebels cameras from Canon (if those are the cameras that the OP is looking after) doesn't worth changing Pentax system.

11-14-2017, 02:14 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Before I continue to read this thread, I have to say a few things:

1. I have the posibility to shoot with a lot of cameras from different systems and I do shoot with a lot of cameras because it's fun. But yes, my main camera is a 5D Mark IV from about 2 months
2. I replaced my 6D with 5D Mark IV not because K1 was released. My 6D paid for all the gear I own (including lights and modifiers) and it still is a great performer, despite its age. I bought a 5D Mark IV because:
- I was able to buy the camera new (with 0 actuations) with 2300 euro, which is exactly the price of K1 in Romanian stores
- it has 7fps vs 4,5fps of 6D. I had no problems with 6D's af, but 4.5fps were sometimes frustating when I wanted to shoot small and fast birds using 600mm lenses.
3. K1 is a very good camera as an all around and very potent option for landscape shooters
4. I can shoot with any camera from Pentax (KP, K-3 II, K1) and have the results I want, even if for action/wildlife I will have to work a little harder to get the results I get with Canon. The cameras are not the main reason I don't use Pentax anymore. It's the lack of support in Romania for this brand. The flash systems was another reason, but it looks like Yongnuo and Cactus solved a few issues. And the last reason was the rent posibilities which for Pentax were and still are non existent in my country. I rent lenses and cameras when I'm in the mood for buying stuff because I don't want to buy gear based on internet reviews.

That being said, despite having a 5D Mark IV, I still love to shoot with 6D because I'm not into specs, charts, graphics and so on. Yes, K1 will blow the 6D in terms of image quality, but 99% of the people who pay for my images don't have a clue about 15ev of dynamic range, 50 af points, 3D tracking, eye af autofocus, etc. So, my advice to OP is to try and rent first the cameras/lenses he wants to buy and then look at the support he has in his country for the system he chooses.

Those rebels cameras from Canon (if those are the cameras that the OP is looking after) doesn't worth changing Pentax system.
thanks for the information. A few have mentioned renting and it does seem like a good Idea. I have been looking into the 6d as I mainly shoot full frame. But it is true that L glass is still expensive even with more people selling it. So something I have to consider.

and unfortunately I also think about the longevity of Pentax. Please people dont start going off on me for mentioning it, but in my position if I invest in proper glass to last me years, will there be new bodies to come in years. Always something I have to consider.

but thank you for all the advice, this has been very helpful.
11-14-2017, 02:39 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

thanks for the information. A few have mentioned renting and it does seem like a good Idea. I have been looking into the 6d as I mainly shoot full frame. But it is true that L glass is still expensive even with more people selling it. So something I have to consider.
Owning a full frame is not cheap, at least not if you want some good lenses on it. Without good lenses on a full frame camera, you'll be better with a cheap crop camera and some good lenses. In my opinion, first you have to start comparing:
- prices of the good lenses (lenses are far more important than the camera)
- the support you will have in your country for the system you choose (this depends very much of what you're shooting)
- the second hand market if your budget is tight.
11-14-2017, 02:45 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
It's the lack of support in Romania for this brand.
Unfortunately this is quite accurate. Except for the Sigma 35, I got all my Pentax gear from outside the country (US, UK). I'm lucky that I travel a lot and I have a lot of friends who also travel a lot, otherwise it would have been quite difficult going the Pentax way.

11-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #53
Pentaxian

And except for the *istDS and the DA 21mm Limited - bought ages ago - I got all my Pentax gear from my country (RO). It wasn't that difficult walking into a store and buying things... well, beside parting with my money (but the joy of having new "toys" compensated for that).
11-14-2017, 11:17 AM - 3 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're only a Pentax guy because you won a contest, that's not a very good reason.

When you look at it from an odds perspective, about one in twenty camera buyers choose Pentax, the odds that a guy who would appreciate Pentax would be the same guy who won a contest would be pretty remote. IF that's your only handle, you should have a good base of knowledge to move on from. You know now more than you did then. I'd cut my losses and buy something that suits my style. For me, rugged bodies and lenses that are water resistant and can take a beating is important. My daughter never takes her DSLR out of the house and has one of those cheaper Canon bodies she bought second hand. When she goes out she uses her phone.

So my only advice would be look at where you are going and what you hope to end up with. Personally I'd rather have my K-3 than a 6D, but that is a personal opinion. The only thing that is going to help you out here is your own personal opinion.

I can tell you why I like Pentax, but I can't tell you why you should. In the big picture most people don't end up with a Pentax, it's not a given.
11-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the beauties of the Pentax system, is that you can pick up a huge range of old manual lenses, many of good to excellent quality. If you are not too bothered about manual focus you can explore this avenue. There are reviews on this forum for almost all those you could wish for. From your post I suspect that funds are not as high as you might wish. Given this assumption I would recommend the following:-
For a moderate wide angle the Sigma Superwide 24mm f2.8
For a classic "perfect" normal the Pentax A 28mm f2.8 or DA 35 f2.4.
You already have a very useful macro with the M 50, so go new for a DA 50mm f1.8 its cheap and excellent.
You are half satisfied with the 50-300. Perhaps its not fast enough. You should be able to pick up a Pentax M 135mm f2.8 or 3.5 very reasonably.
Get a K mount set of extension tubes to use with the 135 and you will extend your macro capabilities greatly.
You already have the wide covered with your Sigma. They do a 10-20mm Zoom at around £330 if you want to go wider.
Before parting with cash check out the superb Ffordes website. Their stock has always been as described whenever I have used them. Service is very fast and often they are cheaper than Ebay.
When using the older glass I recommend shooting in RAW, and either post process in camera or on your computer. I use in camera, its very easy. Results this way are much better than straight JPEG shots as you can tweak to your taste and correct for sharpness.
I have toyed and still am toying with buying a K70 as back up for my K3. Its a very fine camera and much better built than its Canikon competitors. True the AF is not as fast or quiet (depending on lens), and nor is the battery life so good, but I would take the lens flexibility, build quality, weather sealing of the K70 over fast AF speed and better battery life any day.

---------- Post added 11-14-17 at 12:48 PM ----------

There are reasons owners of I.E. a Nikon APS-C DSLR in the price range of a K-70 might be envious of your gear. WR, 2-dial operation, a top-quality VF, 14 bit RAW, and much more. And the last time I looked, theirs requires the use of lenses having their own built-in motor. To get a model fully backwards-compatible costs much more. None of the Canons are.

There are things also that a 70-200mm cannot do that your DA 55-300mm can, primarily the convenience and efficiency of focal length range. The bigger, heavier lens cannot get down to 55mm, nor can it get up to 300mm. It has far more reach for on-location framing, specially if you'd be using the bigger but less FL lens on a FF body.

Another thing regarding getting an f/4 70-200mm, the DA 55-300mm can keep to f/4-4.5 up to 200mm, and with its best quality imaging, which is pretty darn good. And the framing on APS-C within that range is equivalent to 80-300mm on FF. And you'll be able to get the same shutter speed.

Until you have both lens types and use them, you will not be able to evaluate the differences between them in practical terms. I have the DA 55-300mm HD WR and like it very much. I also have the very fine DA*50-135mm f/2.8 and very fine DA* 200mm instead of a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens, choosing better on-camera handling and more at the wide end. Image quality is outstanding. I also have a Tamron 1.4x TC. These are lenses I use for specific needs and situations requiring the availability of the f/2.8 aperture capability, and/or the last word in optical quality. Otherwise, I do not hesitate to use my DA 55-300mm. Its range sometimes allows my getting an opportunistic shot which the use of the higher caliber but less FL capable lenses would not afford me. Not only that, the image quality is close enough under most conditions, that you'd be hard-pressed to actually see a difference. If I did not have SPECIFIC needs for the f/2.8 aperture, etc I would not bother owning those lenses. But when I need them, I need them. Lately I've been putting my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 to more use, combined with a DA 20-40mm Limited on my KP, since I've been doing more tele shots in low light. The DA 55-300mm HD WR has been shown by tests to be better throughout its range compared to those of the same FL by other manufacturers.

In practical terms, telephoto needs are better met with APS-C gear including your very high-quality imaging K-70. You can get similar results while using smaller, easier to handle and carry fine lenses. The DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 will present a similar image to a high-quality 70-200mm f/2.8 on a FF body. Incidentally, be sure to set sharpening to "F" for Fine Sharpening in the custom image menu for best detail resolution. I do not own a K70, but instead the KP and K-5 IIs. Same goes for them as well.

Those are some of my specific reasons for acquiring certain equipment. It is always a good idea to pin down your own specific reasons for buying a type of lens or camera. Other than that, the grass always looks greener on the other side.
i agree with you about crop sensor being more useful than full frame for telephoto's and the FF being more intriguing at the wider focal lengths. However, as I can't justify `the cost of the K1 and do not like its size, when I want to go wide I revert to film! Oooh the ME Super or MX with 20mm f4 and Velvia. Mmmmmm.

Last edited by richard0170; 11-14-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarification
11-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have continued doing some research. Not actually researching other brands but focusing on what pentax gear is available around me and what I have access too. I do know that selling my gear will not get me enough money to consider buying another system without more money of of my pocket. So I think I want to focus more and reducing my kit to what I need but improving the glass.

I have been looking around at second hand shops so I can have them bookmarked and to keep and eye on them. Plan at the moment is sell my DA 10-17mm since it turns out im not a bid user of fish eye, sell my 55-300 and look for a proper DA lens. Currently eyeing a DA*60-250 f4, DA 200 f2.8, sigma 150-500 all for less than £500. cheaper than switching to Canon and improving glass by a lot. Any money I get from selling prints I'll reinvest.

the 60-250 I am looking at the seller mentions the SDM motor needs to be woking up if it hasnt been used in a while, then it functions properly. He says this is a common SDM motor issue but nothing to be concerned with. is this true?
11-14-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #57
mee
Veteran Member

I have continued doing some research. Not actually researching other brands but focusing on what pentax gear is available around me and what I have access too. I do know that selling my gear will not get me enough money to consider buying another system without more money of of my pocket. So I think I want to focus more and reducing my kit to what I need but improving the glass.

I have been looking around at second hand shops so I can have them bookmarked and to keep and eye on them. Plan at the moment is sell my DA 10-17mm since it turns out im not a bid user of fish eye, sell my 55-300 and look for a proper DA lens. Currently eyeing a DA*60-250 f4, DA 200 f2.8, sigma 150-500 all for less than £500. cheaper than switching to Canon and improving glass by a lot. Any money I get from selling prints I'll reinvest.

the 60-250 I am looking at the seller mentions the SDM motor needs to be woking up if it hasnt been used in a while, then it functions properly. He says this is a common SDM motor issue but nothing to be concerned with. is this true?

You're at a point right now.. a crossroads.. and the farther you 'invest' into a system the more difficult (financially) it will be to get out of that system if you should ever feel the need. So I'd take a long hard look at what you have, what you want to do with it, and what you need in order to make that happen and see if Pentax offers it. Don't look at roadmaps or rumors.. but what is actually available today.

Also, if you can, rent or borrow a Canon or Nikon body and lens that has the focal length you're desiring. See if it is worth it, to you, to switch..

After you've buried thousands of dollars/euros/pounds/etc into a system, it is going to be more difficult to turn around and say 'maybe I would be better suited with a different one' then than it is right here right now.

That said, it isn't the end of the road if you do go one way and then decide differently later. But if you're like me you don't want to spend money unless you really feel the 'need', in that case, picking wisely right now is your best option.
11-14-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had problems with my DA* 50-135 SDM (repaired four times). In my opinion, any lens that needs to 'wake up' after sitting for a while is cause for concern and should be avoided.

Regards,

- Craig
11-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't get a 60-250 which is "slow to wake up." The 16-50 and 50-135 can be converted to screwdrive, as can the DA *200 and 300, but the 60-250 isn't convertible (even though it has the ability to focus with screw drive).
11-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't heard of the 60-250 having a "wake up" issue without the SDM going bad. I bought my 50-135 and the seller told me he had to let it wake up after sitting a while, honestly it's not something I've noticed using the lens, but maybe I use it more than he did. I can say, the 50-135 and the DA*200 make an amazing duo with pro-grade glass, and if your budget can allow it, I'd take a serious look at acquiring both lenses.