Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #76
Forum Member

stay. you may be pleased about what is to come.

11-15-2017, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Dan, as usual you're deviating the discussion to your favorite subjects.
This was about Hatti's "need" to buy from outside, either by himself or through his friends. I don't think that enabled him to test those lenses for several days.

Besides, what's your point? That we all should give up on Pentax, because you cannot test Pentax products to your liking?
Read all my comments. I said that there are 3 things that matter when you choose a system. I don't want to start a disscution about Pentax Romania because it is more than obvious that nothing happened in the last 2 years, unfortunately for Pentax users. And the out of stock lenses is still a common thing here, as I showed you above.

Maybe out of stock means something else to you, but for others means that they buy from other countries.

Back on topic. What I would do in the OP situation:

- sell the lenses that doesn't work for him
- set a budget and start looking for what is available second hand or new in his budget
- rent or borrow cameras and lenses
- find out what type of photography attracts him more (this should be his first step)

From my experience with Pentax, Canon and Nikon, for a small budget Pentax is one of the best choices (if not the best) in terms of cameras: small, very well built, tons of features...
11-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Read all my comments.
Did you read mines?
I don't want to start a disscution about Pentax Romania
Yet you did it. You always do.

There are two things that are not quite honest about your list:
1. Those lenses are not available "only on order". The only lens meeting this criteria is the DA 560mm, and I don't see it in your list.
Those lenses are simply out of stock, occasionally popping in and out - the sales volume is very low, replenishing doesn't happen often. But I've seen them all in stock.
2. Even with Canon, you don't find everything in stock. At F64 (the largest photo store in the south-eastern Europe), there are 26 Canon lenses which are not in stock (37 are in stock). And - correct me if I'm wrong - you can't actually rent and thoroughly test all the 37 lenses which are in stock.

I won't say everything's fine, but there is a huge difference from being forced to buy from another country. If my gear got stolen by aliens, I could go there tomorrow (today's closed) and get a K-1 kit to go by.

The OP is in U.K., by the way. I don't think your issues with our dealer are relevant to him.
11-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Here in Finland the stores usually have one or two copies of cheaper Pentax lenses and everything else is "on order". But they can be ordered so there is a wait but that is that. Not a year but like week or two max.

11-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #80
Pentaxian

On DPR, someone said he can't get the KP in Bulgaria, not even on order - it just isn't available.
It's available in Romania since February.
11-15-2017, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This was about Hatti's "need" to buy from outside, either by himself or through his friends. I don't think that enabled him to test those lenses for several days.
I don't buy so many lenses, but when I do, I know exactly what I want and why I want it. Maybe because of my shooting style, I don't need to extensively test the lens (as compared to Dan), but I understand that some of us do have this need. It makes sense considering I'm mostly shooting landscapes and Dan is shooting other things (wildlife etc).

My need to buy from outside was mostly based of availability and price. Some of the lenses as well as the K-1 were not available when I needed them. Regarding the price, for some lenses and bodies the price has not been updated since ages, while outside the prices had decreased significantly. For the latest investment (the DFA 24-70) I got a much better deal from SRS in the UK, and bought it from them. It was a much better deal even considering the delivery from the UK.

It's kinda obvious that our local dealer doesn't do much for the brand, basically most of the people I know using Pentax are complaining, except for you. You defend them every time, I don't know why. Sure, for me at least this wouldn't had stopped going Pentax, most likely. But I understand those who find much better support elsewhere.

That's why I recommend testing the gear before buying it.
That's a useful recommendation as long as you're actually going yo use the gear to take photos. If it just sits on a shelf, you can safely trust the reviews

I really don't know what to suggest to the OP. I guess I would stay with Pentax and try to save some money for the next level, but I would also be tempted by other options. Maybe Black Friday can help?

Last edited by Hattifnatt; 11-15-2017 at 01:08 PM.
11-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens rental looks like £50 pounds or so for 2-5 days I think, will have a look around for somewhere that stocks the one I am looking at. Since my main enjoyment is landscape or walk around then I dont think I need super fast long range zoom. I just want to upgrade.

Currently listed items for sale and if they seel I'll get one step closer to having more funds towards a lens. and until they sell I can have a think about what I want.

to be honest I am not sure what I want to shoot. I love just shooting mountains, but at the moment dont have any around. Still trying to determine what I will shoot in the UK, but mainly will be landscape with the odd wildlife or insect here or there.

leaning towards 50-135 for around £500

11-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
to be honest I am not sure what I want to shoot. I love just shooting mountains, but at the moment dont have any around. Still trying to determine what I will shoot in the UK, but mainly will be landscape with the odd wildlife or insect here or there.
If that's the case, my target would be a K3II body. Perhaps replacing the SIgma with a Pentax 16-85 which seems to be very good, if you're unhappy with the Sigma. Maybe adding a DA 15 Ltd, that lens is a lot of fun. If still unhappy with the results, I would try to work a bit more on my technique, and also invest some money into traveling.
11-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
Lens rental looks like £50 pounds or so for 2-5 days I think, will have a look around for somewhere that stocks the one I am looking at. Since my main enjoyment is landscape or walk around then I dont think I need super fast long range zoom. I just want to upgrade.

Currently listed items for sale and if they seel I'll get one step closer to having more funds towards a lens. and until they sell I can have a think about what I want.

leaning towards 50-135 for around £500
Move to Yorkshire, Cumbria or the Peak District for landscapes!
11-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
If that's the case, my target would be a K3II body. Perhaps replacing the SIgma with a Pentax 16-85 which seems to be very good, if you're unhappy with the Sigma. Maybe adding a DA 15 Ltd, that lens is a lot of fun. If still unhappy with the results, I would try to work a bit more on my technique, and also invest some money into traveling.
ya I think because lately I've been bored with my area I just spend time looking a gear online, never a good idea.

I have heard good things from the DA15, cant say I have seen any around this area but will keep my eyes open. Although at the moment its more than £500

I am not unhappy with the Sigma. It was the best I could afford in New Zealand to upgrade from kit lens 18-50. And I think it was a good upgrade and the fact I got 2.8 allowed me shoot much more astro and aurora. The price to the 16-50 is a bit of a jump at the moment. Would prefer having better glass on the zoom end than spending that same money on replacing the Sigma.

I have an Pentax A 50mm 1.7 which I love the quality but never find myself reaching for it. I find it not wide enough and not zoomed enough. Just find it awkward for things I am shooting.

---------- Post added 11-15-17 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Move to Yorkshire, Cumbria or the Peak District for landscapes!
I know I was up in skye and cumbria last month. But at the moment work and family have me here.
11-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then you can look towards a K3II body to experiment with the pixelshift and astrotracer. I think the 55-300 is good enough, but I've never owned it, so take this with a grain of salt. I would look into a DA 15, a lens with a lot of character. You will find a lot of inspiration in the dedicated thread. I'm starting to believe you need to invest more in traveling to some nice places rather than gear. I'm sure NZ has quite a lot of them.
11-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
My need to buy from outside was mostly based of availability and price. Some of the lenses as well as the K-1 were not available when I needed them. Regarding the price, for some lenses and bodies the price has not been updated since ages, while outside the prices had decreased significantly. For the latest investment (the DFA 24-70) I got a much better deal from SRS in the UK, and bought it from them. It was a much better deal even considering the delivery from the UK.

It's kinda obvious that our local dealer doesn't do much for the brand, basically most of the people I know using Pentax are complaining, except for you. You defend them every time, I don't know why. Sure, for me at least this wouldn't had stopped going Pentax, most likely. But I understand those who find much better support elsewhere.
Nothing wrong with getting a better deal elsewhere, but this isn't what comes up in your post. What I'm disagreeing with, is your claim that it's "quite difficult" to be a Pentaxian here, and the implied need to buy from another country.

SRS has good prices, I've just checked several products to be up to date. IIRC they had some amazing offers some months ago... But, what a coincidence, now the D FA 24-70 is cheaper here than there - thanks to the current cashback on Pentax products, of which I'm not seeing any hint on the SRS' website.

Would it be better if people would pay more (higher price plus shipping), because they're led to believe there's no chance to get a better price here, or products in stock? I guess the problem is, I'm not advocating for a boycott - but for getting the best from the existing situation.
And I'm doing the same with Pentax. That makes me twice as bad.
11-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #88
Veteran Member

You should try the UK based forums too. I won't link them but they're fairly easy to find. They also have classified sections which are worth looking at.
11-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Did you read mines?

Yet you did it. You always do.

There are two things that are not quite honest about your list:
1. Those lenses are not available "only on order". The only lens meeting this criteria is the DA 560mm, and I don't see it in your list.
Those lenses are simply out of stock, occasionally popping in and out - the sales volume is very low, replenishing doesn't happen often. But I've seen them all in stock.
2. Even with Canon, you don't find everything in stock. At F64 (the largest photo store in the south-eastern Europe), there are 26 Canon lenses which are not in stock (37 are in stock). And - correct me if I'm wrong - you can't actually rent and thoroughly test all the 37 lenses which are in stock.

I won't say everything's fine, but there is a huge difference from being forced to buy from another country. If my gear got stolen by aliens, I could go there tomorrow (today's closed) and get a K-1 kit to go by.

The OP is in U.K., by the way. I don't think your issues with our dealer are relevant to him.
As always, you like to talk nonsense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a guy from Romania who said a few comments back that he had trouble finding Pentax gear in Romania and he is buying his gear from other countries. Basically his comment was related to my initial comment regarding the support that the OP will have in his country for the systems he will invest in. For me, the lack of support counted. For the other guy from Romania who commented in this topic counted also and his decision was to buy his gear from other countries givin the fact that he is traveling a lot. There are 2 guys who tried to say that some support will probably count if the OP will start to invest more money into this beautiful passion and also if he will start to get paid for his work. But soon after you saw our comments, you came into discussion saying that:
- you bought anything you need from Romanian store
- you "tested" and bought a DFA 150-450mm (I can't go and buy one because it is not available in store)
- if your K1 will be stolen by aliens you can go to the store tomorow and buy a new one.

Very well! Aliens will have a very good camera to play with and you will have a new one. What about everybody else? What options does the others guys have if their gear will be stolen by aliens tomorow? What happens if they are professional photographers and tomorow or a day after tomorow they have a paid job to deal with? I gave you a list with some of the most important lenses (150-450mm included) that are not available in Pentax store right now and on the dealer's website it is written "Available on order" not "Out of stock". So, feel free to reinvent romanian language.

You see, some people do go out and photograph. Some even earn money with their Pentax cameras. Those guys wait or doesn't wait for Pentax dealer to bring lenses in store. They either change system, eyther buy from other countries. It all depends on priorities and what type of photography one choses to approach. How many actuations does your camera have since you bought it? If you go out and shoot once a month or even less, then it's understandable why you can wait and buy lenses when they are becoming available.

But you like to start debates like this one because you simply like to contradict with me and go further off topic. Try another approach. Go out and take 2-3 paid jobs and maybe you will understand that there are some things who are not related to cameras performance that can be solved with some support.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 11-15-2017 at 03:35 PM.
11-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #90
Pentaxian

As always, you're labeling as "nonsense" what you disagree with.

You could ask people around, what do they understand from this: Thinking of Making a switch away from Pentax. is it right or just gear envy? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
And I could ask you, why do you get so upset because I'm disagreeing? It's not like I'm continuing this on my own.

FTR, the K-1 is currently about 1980 euro, thanks to a cashback promotion (something you claim to not exist around here). Again cheaper than at SRS.
Just a small detail to show - again - how you're not up to date.

What makes you think the exact labeling is absolute? They're simply not using "out of stock" for lenses, so there's no actual distinction between what they would (more or less frequently) bring in, and what must be ordered (like the DA 560mm). When was the last time you visited their store, anyway? Having a talk, discussing about some missing product's availability?

I also gave you the number - a list would be too long - of Canon lenses which are not available from our largest store but are available for order. 26. Not including the 8 "unavailable" (which I suspect are actually discontinued).
A Canon user, making lists only for Pentax. In the interest of... fairness?

By the way, I never said I can get and buy a D FA 150-450 today. My words, precisely, were "a K-1 kit to go by". I also don't have a K-1 kit reserved specifically for me. I also didn't recommend Pentax to professional photographers, anywhere in this thread. And my K-1 has a bit over 17,000 actuations (but obviously, much fewer keepers).
The game you're playing is called deceit.