Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Search Youtube...its all there.

Limitations to what the mount can take handheld, yes i read that.Most weighty lenses have a tripod mount which takes the weight.All lenses will work,maybe some not pefectly,but there are instances where people say they work BETTER than native E mounts.Sandra McLeod on the tech art pro facebook page makes that comment,not Confuscious.

As far as links go, i look at many subjects and sources on a daily basis, i dont recall exactly where i learn some of the information.BUT i recall reading specific details...if you dont want to believe me,thats your loss.

Your grammar is difficult to understand,sorry.

11-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
WHO said that?
You implied it, given the context from Nicolas.

---------- Post added 25-11-17 at 07:27 ----------

Which ones dont work?
You want me to do the testing for you? Oh wait, Sony doesn't test all lenses available on earth. Here, you are playing the bad guy.
If we bet $50 000 that not all lenses AF works with adapter on Sony A7 body, I take the bet, do you? You'll owe me $50 000 anyway LoL.

---------- Post added 25-11-17 at 07:35 ----------

Yes, but ive seen Canon glass on the adapter and the commentry was they thought it performed better than on the Canon bodies.
How did they measure it, show me the results of a scientific test. Sincerely, you deserve all the respect as human being, but you've got to be cautious about what's being said about Sony, there is a huge amount of evangelization done by Sony (and also Fuji same marketing approach) and a huge emotional background behind Sony mirrorless. You need not to believe everything written on the web about Sony cameras. Did I ever get over heat with my K1 in Live View mode? Nope. I ran LV on K1 for 3 hours!!!! NO overheating. Do that with Sony A7. There is such a MASSIVE about of marketing done by Sony that it blows away any issue. If you go on DPR, Sony drops new articles avec other week. About 25% (or more) of DPR content is from Sony. Don't get evangelized by that. Try the cameras, compare them with honesty and make your mind without Sony.
11-24-2017, 11:37 PM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You implied it,
I implied ZERO, what i say is accurate...but you can prove me wrong,you got 50K of reasearch $$$....go for it!

the bad guy.
Yes, i have to play that role to get your 50K!

If we bet $50 000 that not all lenses AF works with adapter on Sony A7 body
You see ya just dont know about the subject, i'll have my 50K please.
11-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #139
Pentaxian

i'll have my 50K please
You don't decide by yourself to get the 50K. The decision is made by a lawyer. You don't get 50k without proving evidence that all lenses of the whole world can AF on Sony A7.

11-25-2017, 12:00 AM - 2 Likes   #140
Veteran Member

Search Youtube...its all there.

Limitations to what the mount can take handheld, yes i read that.Most weighty lenses have a tripod mount which takes the weight.All lenses will work,maybe some not pefectly,but there are instances where people say they work BETTER than native E mounts.Sandra McLeod on the tech art pro facebook page makes that comment,not Confuscious.
NO !!! The AF work by moving the lens vs the body. It isn't about the weight the mount can handle but the power of the motor. If you put a tripod mount on it, it will not help the motor work at all. The ArtTechPro is the only AF adapter for Pentax and per their own website it have quite a few limitations

FAQ section: http://techartpro.com/product/techart-pro-leica-m-sony-e-autofocus-adapter/

Q: Is the 4.5mm extesion enough for my lens to autofocus for the whole focusing distance?
A: According to our testing, Techart PRO can cover the whole focusing range for lenses with 50mm focal length or below. You can simply park the focusing ring at infinty and press shutter for autofocus. For lenses with longer focal length (>50mm), users may need to coarse adjust the focusing ring to the focus point and use Techart PRO for fine focus adjustment.

Focal Length Focusing Range
15mm 6.5 cm – INF
21mm 12 cm – INF
24mm 15 cm – INF
28mm 20 cm – INF
35mm 31 cm – INF
50mm 60 cm – INF
90mm 1.8m – INF
135mm 4.2m – INF

Q: Is Techart PRO compatible with all Leica M lenses?
A: Techart PRO is compatible with Leica M lenses weigh under 700g.

Q: Can I control the aperture of the lens?
A: You will need to adjust the aperture on the aperture ring of the lens. However, you can record the aperture value to EXIF by setting through our mobile app.

Q: Can I use the Techart PRO for video shooting?
A: We do NOT suggest using Techart PRO for shooting videos and only MF is available for video shooting.

Q: Will the image quality change when focusing with Techart PRO compared to MF adapter? A: For unit focusing lens, the image quality will be the same as turning the focusing ring to focus on Sony A7 series cameras. For floating elements design, image quality may be changed. (FYI, Most of the Leica M lenses are unit focusing).

Q: How much weight can Techart PRO bear?
A: It can support lenses as heavy as 700g. However, we suggest users to slightly support for heavy lens (>300g) in order to enjoy the best focusing performance.

The DFA150-450 is more than 700g and longer than 50mm. It doesn't have an apperture ring and has floating element for focussing.. It isn't compatible with the TechArtPro as per their own saying for 4 reasons. This is the only adapter that I know off that work with K mount with AF. On top of that, you have to change the focal length setting on the camera each time you zoom to benefit of IBIS.

Basically only light primes bellow 50mm and 300g using screw drive in K mount and having an apperture ring can be expected to work well with that adapter. No modern lens (DC, PLM, SDM or without apperture ring) will work. Zoom loose IBIS.

Unfortunately my FA77 focal lengh is longer than 50mm and my FA31 is heavier than 300g. My F135 is both longer than 50mm and heavier than 300g. My DA15 has no apperture ring neither does my HD DA55-300. Not a single lens that I own fit into the sweet spot of that adapter.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 11-25-2017 at 12:25 AM.
11-25-2017, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #141
Pentaxian

There are various kind of mindsets on forums:
A) the grass is greener behind the fence: even after switching to another brand they still continue the say that the other brand is better... LoL
B) the blind brand fanatic: only the brand of camera they use is the best, all the rest is inferior, eventually one day they'd wake up and realize it's not true, they'd switch system and go back to saying it's the only best system... LoL
C) the absent member: they tend to work on their photographic technique, we see great photos from them but they rather not involve in kinder garden type of useless discussions. Typically, we get more of type C) using medium format camera and even more type C using large format camera.

Basically, the smaller the camera, the more immature the discussions (arguing).
11-25-2017, 12:10 AM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The AF work by moving the lens
Yes.

ll depending of point of view
Yes, ours differ.

11-25-2017, 12:41 AM - 2 Likes   #143
Veteran Member

There are various kind of mindsets on forums:
A) the grass is greener behind the fence: even after switching to another brand they still continue the say that the other brand is better... LoL
B) the blind brand fanatic: only the brand of camera they use is the best, all the rest is inferior, eventually one day they'd wake up and realize it's not true, they'd switch system and go back to saying it's the only best system... LoL
C) the absent member: they tend to work on their photographic technique, we see great photos from them but they rather not involve in kinder garden type of useless discussions. Typically, we get more of type C) using medium format camera and even more type C using large format camera.

Basically, the smaller the camera, the more immature the discussions (arguing).
Ahaha... I think you make some shortcut there. For example,million of people use smartphone and don't care one bit of all of this neither and we don't see them that much on photography forums. They do post a lot on sharing website through up to the point that the iphone is the #1 camera on flickr for example. Hardly what I'd call medium or large format

Overall the forumer here or in other gear related website is a very small minority not representative at all of the phographic community as a whole... Be it the pro photographer or the general public. And they are more gear centric than other... hence their presence on such website, even the one that post their photos.

On the opposite never did I encountered somebody making a remark on my gear on flickr. People like the photos or not, comment or not. But they don't give a sh... of what gear you actually use.
11-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #144
Pentaxian

On the opposite never did I encountered somebody making a remark on my gear on flickr. People like the photos or not, comment or not. But they don't give a sh... of what gear you actually use.
That's so true.
11-25-2017, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #145
Pentaxian

No, you are saying that...

I said if you already own FF lenses a Sony thats compatible with the adapter mentioned SAVES shelling out for the native Sony lenses.

Do u understand?
It seems we're hitting a communication hitch. Let's try to fix it.
What I'm disputing is your claim in this exchange:
The worst maybe for price/value is Sony FF
No, its probably the best.
For it to be the best, as I keep saying, it has to give you similar facilities for a lower price. It doesn't.

Yes, you can keep your lenses and use adapters to some extent. If you're decided to jump ship, keeping your lenses is less pricey than buying new ones, OK.
But jumping ship is poorer price/value than not jumping ship.

Besides, if my options for using my lenses on Sony are as Nicolas described... that's unacceptable. Only my FA 50mm f/1.7 would work, and that I could replace easily with the $198 FE 50mm f/1.8 - which is much less than the $450 for the adapters.

Last edited by Kunzite; 11-25-2017 at 02:31 AM.
11-25-2017, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Besides, if my options for using my lenses on Sony are as Nicolas described... that's unacceptable. Only my FA 50mm f/1.7 would work, and that I could replace easily with the $198 FE 50mm f/1.8.
My understanding if that the TechArtPro is made with the idea of supporting old Leica prime lenses and other equivalent MF lenses. You could buy a set of MF lenses like M28, M50 and M135 and use the TechArtPro to achieve focus for you instead of having to do the focus yourself or as an aid within the product limitations.

The best support for non FE lenses is Sony A-mount lenses and for Canon or canon compatible lenses with quite expensive adapters that transform Sony FE AF commands into Canon EF AF commands.

From Metabones website (http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BT5):
- AF-C is supported on A9, A7RII, A7II, A6500 and A6300 only, and only in Green mode.
- Continuous video AF is functional in Advanced mode, but performance may be unsatisfactory.
- On Sony A9, only phase-detection autofocus is supported. Contrast-detection autofocus does not work
- Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.
- Sony E-mount 1.4x TC (model SEL14TC) will fit and work but AF performance may be unsatisfactory and there may be significant vignetting with some telephoto lenses.
- No support for lens corrections such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion.
- Use of Canon Cinema lenses such as CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 for still photography is not supported. (Functional, but slower than lenses designed for still photography
- Early Tamron VC lenses such as the AF 28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (model A20), AF 18-270/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO (model B003), SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] (model B005) may not be able to freely switch between OIS and IBIS because they may not report IS activity status. Later Tamron VC lenses equipped with USD or PZD focus motors are fine.

Lenses unable to use constrast detect with the adapter:
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
- Canon EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 II
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
- Contax N Vario Sonnar 17-35mm f/2.8
- Contax N Planar 50mm f/1.4
- Contax N Vario Sonnar 70-200mm f/3.5-4.5
- Contax N Planar 85mm f/1.4
- Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1.4x (note 1)
- Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 2x (note 1)
- Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM
- Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] B005
- Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO B003

Over the internet some praise it a lot, some say it is only acceptable for static subjects. I guess it'll get better and for past Canon users, heavily invested in Canon glass I guess buying the adapter can make sense. I don't think it would make sense to buy Canon glass with the intent on using it with Sony and I don't think that in the long term you wouldn't want to switch to native FE lenses.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 11-25-2017 at 03:08 AM.
11-25-2017, 05:44 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Coming back in topic (jumping ship or not) I'd like to point this. Having Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Sony camera bodies seems not a huge limit for using third party lenses. I mean: just 2 lenses (sigma 18-35 and 50-100 both f/1.8) could fit my need with Nikon d7100. Is that possible with Nikon OEM lenses: not. There aren't Nikon counterparts for the f1.8 Sigma zooms above. And notice that this set is a competent set, quite just like having a FF with f2.8 24-70 (18 is more 28 mm equiv. , I know...) and 70--200 (again 100 is 150 eq.). But if you want those lenses from Nikon, simply they aren't. So....summing up things: Swithching brand doesn't always mean that you'll find exaclty what you need, until you already know what you're loking for. A side consideration: if the availability of third party option is a must for you, think well about which brand offers you the better compatibility with the lenses you're looking for (as intended to be for constuction).
11-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
Coming back in topic (jumping ship or not) I'd like to point this. Having Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Sony camera bodies seems not a huge limit for using third party lenses. I mean: just 2 lenses (sigma 18-35 and 50-100 both f/1.8) could fit my need with Nikon d7100. Is that possible with Nikon OEM lenses: not. There aren't Nikon counterparts for the f1.8 Sigma zooms above. And notice that this set is a competent set, quite just like having a FF with f2.8 24-70 (18 is more 28 mm equiv. , I know...) and 70--200 (again 100 is 150 eq.). But if you want those lenses from Nikon, simply they aren't. So....summing up things: Swithching brand doesn't always mean that you'll find exaclty what you need, until you already know what you're loking for. A side consideration: if the availability of third party option is a must for you, think well about which brand offers you the better compatibility with the lenses you're looking for (as intended to be for constuction).
For sure, the best if to know what you want... Usually most people choose their first camera a bit by random and my build from that. Actually even if they searched the net for weeks, they actually do not know what criteria are important before they have put quite some years of practice anyway.

The example of the sigma lens is interresting, I think. You could get away wit the D7100 + both sigma. Or with a D610/D750 with the 24-70 and 70-200 from sigma (or tamron)...

Actually the price and weight are not so different, but the FF combo would be much better overall on all aspects. Not only the range would be much more interresting on the FF (equivalent to 16-50 f/1.8 rather than 18-35 f/1.8) but you'd get more sharpness, be more likely to use the lens at an apperture setting where it shine (f/4 on the FF is f/2.6 on the APSC) and the day you'd decide to buy just an f/1.8 prime you'd get much more low light and subject isolation out of it.

Nikon/Canon do not have expensive f/1.8 zoom lenses on APSC because it make more sense to go FF to begin with for this kind of requirements.

But now think of many tilt shift lenses Tamron/Sigma are making ? How many cine lenses they have ? What is their offering in term of cheap/light primes? Sigma/Tamron is anyway present in Canon/Nikon and Sony A. This isn't really a differentiating factor among the classic DSLR mount except Pentax that has less of it.
11-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
I suppose. The Sigma lenses look nice, I just have heard some negatives about their compatibility with auto focus systems. Since Sigma doesn't pay licensing fees, their lenses don't always have great compability with new bodies. For whatever reason Tamron lenses seem to have better compatibility.

I think there is a reason why most lens makers don't make f1.8 zooms and it has to do with size. The Sigma 18-35 is 811 grams while the Pentax DFA 24-70 f2.8 is 787 grams and DA 16-50 is 560 grams. So, you have a bigger size and that same time you cover signifcantly less focal lengths (the Sigma is a 28-52mm f2.8 full frame equivalent).

Personally, I would find the Sigma f1.8 lenses to be fairly restricting, even though they are really, really good within the range they cover.
11-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon/Canon do not have expensive f/1.8 zoom lenses on APSC because it make more sense to go FF to begin with for this kind of requirements.
Yes, it could be so. But they make (Nikon for sure) many f/1.8 primes (also f/1.4) for FF. just Pentax and Fuji make beautiful primes for APSC. So..shooting APSC Pentax has a strong value with a consistent set of APSC lenses (more than Nikon/Canon ). But still neither Canon , Nikon or Pentax have lenses like the Sigmas or the Tokinas f/2 zooms . It also all depends on format. Availability of HQ APSC primes plus WR, SR makes Pentax being ahead in the APSC (despite its market share). Fuji is on par, but on the MILC and expensive side. IMHO, with f/1.8 zooms and a recent Sony-based sensor, there's not all that sense in going FF, because DR and ISO performance of modern sensors from Sony are so good. You'll notice no differences at base isos between 24 mpx FF and APSC. If I want more blur, it's simple to go down to f1.4 (or I better use a longer FL).
From the switcher point of view, I must well point out what lenses are the reason to switch and what are my expectations from the brand I'm going to switch.