Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thinking of Making a switch away from Pentax. is it right or just gear envy?

hey pentaxians.

Pentax Chose me, it fell into my lap with a k50 from winning it on an Instagram competition. For the past 4 years I have grown with Pentax acquiring a new k70, 6 months ago, after the k50 died of aperture failure. I have changed all my lens and upgraded to what I could afford and even ventured into older film era lens like the 50mm Pentax M macro and have never really thought about leaving Pentax. Great image quality and have been happy with my sigma 17-50 2.8 and half pleased with the 55-300. Before living in Australia and New Zealand gear was kind of always expensive and I did what I could. I have produced amazing photos.

Since moving to the UK I have gained a new market with a lot more options. The problem is that there either isn't a lot of Pentax gear available here in the UK and what is available seems very high priced. I feel like I want to make the jump to better optics but cant justify the price. Anything passed the 55-300mm takes a massive jump in price, even second hand. If I can find it second hand.

However on the canon side here in the uk there is a flood of items for respective prices. Much more affordable options if I wanted to go full frame with a second hand 6d and a EF lens of 24-70 or similar and the classic 70-200mm. All of this gear could be picked up for less than a k1 and one new full frame lens. (yes I know the k1 is better than 6d, but im not a pro)

I feel like I am caught because I cant afford the next jump up with Pentax. The selection or affordable doesn't seem to exist in the UK and am hesitant for my photographic career if Pentax is one I can afford to go down for years to come.

I love my K70, for entry level camera is boasts features I know I will miss. But it's more on the lens side and the cost of Pentax Lenses.

any advice from people in similar positions. Is it just gear lust as usual. Always wanting something new when really I don't need.

11-12-2017, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
any advice from people in similar positions. Is it just gear lust as usual.
Canon 6D was the last Canon I owned before switching to Pentax some 4 years ago. I loved my 6D but did not like the Canon flash system. The other big advantage of owning Canon gear is access to Sigma and Tamron glass. If you decide to make the move to Canon, I would recommend the 6D and the a used Tamron 24-70 VC. I owned that lens along with my Canon system and it is a fantastic lens. For me, if I were to move away from Pentax, it would be for 4K and other video capabilities not still images. Pentax is a fantastic system when it comes to still images. Pentax 1080P (HD) video is usable too.
11-12-2017, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The gear is just the tool we use to achieve the final product. I went from Canon to Nikon before landing on Pentax with the K10d. Pentax does what I need and I enjoy using it.

If you feel you can’t get what you need or want, whether it be due to your location or a perception that Pentax doesn’t have the gear you need, then make the change. Just be realistic and become informed. Each company has strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck
11-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thinking of Making a switch away from Pentax. is it right or just gear envy?
If you switch to Canikon because of having more options for cheap products, that's a wrong reason. Canon and Nikon offer more options for third party and cheapo lenses, but you get what you pay for, in the cheapo zone don't expect to get more value/price than Pentax. Now, if you want to switch to buy into expensive territory, then, yes, Canon/Nikon have a deeper portfolio you'll not hit some limits like it is the case with Pentax. If you find cheaper Canon products, be warned you'll get what you pay for... With regards to cheap Canon gear, I've seen autofocus and lens falling apart with my own eye, it's kind of disposable.

If I was going to switch to Canon, I'd get a 5DIV, 5DSr, or even a 1Dx MrkII + a bunch of the top of the line L glass, including a 300 f2.8 and 600 f4, that's good stuff, but not at all the same as the Canon rebels etc..

There was one guy (Dan Rentea) who switch from Pentax K3 to Canon 6D, but, if I understood correctly, after Pentax released the K1 it did not take him long to buy a Canon 5DIV.

11-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

after the k50 died of aperture failure
Have you tried AA batteries?

yes I know the k1 is better than 6d
Since moving to the UK
Get those death adders outa your pockets,buy a K-1.With the 28-105!
11-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You can pick up a K-1 for around £1200 fairly frequently on the second hand market (think Gumtree, eBay). The lenses are a bit more dear if you want something like the D-FA 28-105 (people don't like selling it!). My advice is to keep an eye out for second hand items and only buy when the price suits you. If there's anything in particular you feel you're looking for, drop me a PM and I'll give you a heads up if I ever see it for sale.
11-12-2017, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Canon and Nikon lenses are as expensive if not more so than good Pentax lenses. In the end though, go with what system works for you.

11-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The 3rd party Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 is the same optically as its cousin the DFA Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8 which also has the Pentax special coatings.

I don't yet understand the special needs which are lacking with Pentax in the UK, but if that is the case, and you have a need that is not met otherwise, a brand change is understandable. But in terms of cost, the loss taken by your selling then the cost of replacement buying may offset the cost of upgrading to Pentax equipment that may serve your need. But what are those needs that your present gear does not deliver?

APS-C compared to full-frame, especially the most advanced APS-C now available, has gotten pretty close. There are advantages for each. The Pentax K-70 is one of those that have narrowed the gap compared to FF advantages.

To get a camera body having WR in other brands costs much more. Same with lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-12-2017 at 12:45 PM.
11-12-2017, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I feel like I am caught because I cant afford the next jump up with Pentax. The selection or affordable doesn't seem to exist in the UK and am hesitant for my photographic career if Pentax is one I can afford to go down for years to come.
It sounds like you are stuck in a bind created by a desire to move to a larger format and a scarcity of affordable Pentax FF options in your market, new or used. The huge question is whether the move to FF is supported by your usual choice of subjects, current "pain" in terms of ability to address subjects, and intended direction, photographically. And no, perception of "higher" does not count. Questions to ask one's self:
  • What is the allure of FF?
  • Have the negatives of FF been considered? They are real and also expensive.
  • Will the 6D provide better image quality? Why would one think so or not?
  • What does one desire from the 6D that is missing on other FF bodies from Canon, Nikon, or Sony? Price is not a real good answer.
  • If purchasing used, what concerns might that create?
  • Will the lack of IBIS be a loss?
  • Does the sweet point of affordability, build, and optical quality exist for EOS FF lenses needed for one's kit? Why would one think so or not?
  • Does one intend to use adapted vintage lenses on the 6D? Think "mirror clearance".
  • Value of current kit used for resale
Good luck with a hard decision

Steve
11-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The best place for second hand pentax gear is right here in this forum (at least from an English speaking perspective).
11-12-2017, 01:08 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I don't yet understand the special needs which are lacking with Pentax in the UK
Typically, you might be walking the streets looking for a good restaurant, and more often than not, you'll select the restaurant where you see more people seated, which may be the result of good food or it might simply be the result of that restaurant being more visible. Psychologically, most people feel like taking less risks when selecting the same as other people, usually that happens to new comers. I met a guy who was buying his first DSLR, he had compared a number of brands including Pentax, he came to the conclusion that the Pentax product offered more than other brands for the same price; but then he met several Canon owners who convinced him to select Canon, he selected the Canon product because he felt more safe. But when I asked him if the Pentax model was better spec./price why he had chosen the Canon model, he was embarrassed and he avoided the conversation.
11-12-2017, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I feel like I want to make the jump to better optics but cant justify the price.
pretty much sums up why going to some other brand won't change the basics of the problem
11-12-2017, 01:24 PM - 9 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
hey pentaxians.
any advice from people in similar positions. Is it just gear lust as usual. Always wanting something new when really I don't need.
Eric,
I presume on this forum, there are three kinds of Pentaxians:
a) Only owned Pentax.
b) Switched from another system to Pentax.
c) Own more than one system (me).

I agree with every previous post, but we are biased but in many cases, wise, and from all three of those categories for different reasons.

One gains wisdom through experience and an attempt at objective reflection/analysis.

So is the "grass really greener" on the other side of the fence? Yes and no. Have you made a two-column list of what you would gain by switching vs. what you would lose by switching? It is human to want to try something new and to have a list of reasons why, because ultimately you need to know yourself and not be told.

As a teacher of thousands of Canonites, Nikonians, and Pentaxians over the years, I can tell you that gear is gear. Some of the best portfolios were taken with the photographer that only had a standard fast prime and often the worst portfolios were from photographers with all the toys. One spends their time finding special moments, people, places and light; the other spends their time looking for the next great deal or gadget. The passion becomes consumerism and (no pun intended) focus is lost.

Much of your doubt is in part because you were given your first Pentax; it wasn't your choice. The other is just lack of experience with the pros and cons of, in your case, Canon.
11-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There was one guy (Dan Rentea) who switch from Pentax K3 to Canon 6D, but, if I understood correctly, after Pentax released the K1 it did not take him long to buy a Canon 5DIV.
Dan switched to Canon because he's shooting birds in flight all the time and he was complaining about AF with Pentax bodies/lenses. Also, from what I know, he does a lot of sessions using flash and he wasn't happy about the flash options either.
11-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

>>>"Since moving to the UK I have gained a new market with a lot more options. The problem is that there either isn't a lot of Pentax gear available here in the UK and what is available seems very high priced..."

Where you live makes a lot of difference. You have to go with what is available there. Companies pander to US customers, give deep discounts and does not care about "most" of the world. I do not blame them because they are behind revenue. On the same lines I/we do not have to be loyal them. Use what ever suites. I use Pentax products because I happen to start with MZ-50 in film days. I have lived in India and also in US so have first hand experience of how companies treat most of the world.