Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3ll on camera noise reduction settings for birding

Hello.
Wich are your settings for on camera noise reduction for birding?
Thanks

11-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't do more than occasional birding, mostly when I happen to be on holiday on the coast. But for birding - as for basically any line of photographic work, except maybe certain kinds of long exposure - I would generally suggest NR "Off" and would deal with noise in my DNGs in post (PhotoLab, for instance, has a quite effective denoising engine called Prime).

In-camera NR, unfortunately, tends to be rather heavy-handed and destructive to detail and textures, and the K-3 (which I use) and K-3 II are no exception. (In fact, both cameras will apply some degree of on-chip NR from ISO 1600 upwards even if you switch NR off!)

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 11-16-2017 at 01:03 PM.
11-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, in-camera NR only works for JPEGs which are nowhere near as detailed as properly processed raw files, so I agree with @Madaboutpix on that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few years back I switched to shooting RAW and then processing in Lightroom. It is more work, but the results are worth the time.

Generally I think any thing past very light-handed NR in a camera yields images which don't look "real" to me. Same with saturation. Pentax's "Natural" is plenty of saturation. More than that, plus NR gives the "Point-and-shoot" look, IMHO.

11-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam , I am quite sure On camera noise reduction has effect over the raw files. In the Past raws were raws and no was efect on them but modern cameras aply some settings to raws files. The question is how this NR destroy or not feathers extructure. I need to do more test myself.
Sorry bad english.
Best regards from Spain.
11-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
Adam, I am quite sure On camera noise reduction has effect over the raw files. In the Past raws were raws and no was efect on them but modern cameras aply some settings to raws files. The question is how this NR destroy or not feathers extructure. I need to do more test myself.

Er, I bet Adam is well aware of that. If I read his post correctly, he was merely making the point that activating in-camera NR makes the most sense with JPEG shooting, where you want to get ready-to-share files without the need for further processing. Even then, a consciously light-handed and ISO-aware approach to the NR settings will likely yield the best results.