Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Spot" AF performs well for me if I am tracking the subject successfully. I am either tracking a subject or not tracking a subject, and my other settings provide for no restrictions on my shutter firing. Other users may prefer other settings, and that is their personal decision/opportunity.

11-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI Dan,
Thank you so much for help us with birding settings.
I think you made a mistake thinking On camera noise reduction are jpg settings.It works on raw files , for sure.
You must try it youself.
Also noise reduction for long exposure works on Raws.
Best regards from Spain.

Paco
11-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI Dan,
I think you made a mistake thinking On camera noise reduction are jpg settings.It works on raw files , for sure.
You must try it youself.
Best regards from Spain.

Paco
11-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
"Spot" AF performs well for me if I am tracking the subject successfully. I am either tracking a subject or not tracking a subject, and my other settings provide for no restrictions on my shutter firing. Other users may prefer other settings, and that is their personal decision/opportunity.
This ^

11-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This ^
I linked the Ricoh K-3 website where they explain all of the sophisticated tracking features built into the K-3. If you don't want to take advantage, that's your prerogative, but you are nullifying the camera's ability to assist with tracking.

QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
HI Dan,
You must try it youself.
Best regards from Spain.
Paco
Hi Paco. What I said is correct, but could use some explanation. Camera jpeg settings do not affect raw files. When you open a raw file in Lightroom or DXO Optics for example, the program provides its own interpretation of how the file should look, or you can choose a preset mode. None of the camera's jpeg settings are used, except for white balance.

I expect you are using the Silkypix software supplied with Pentax cameras? This software does apply the camera settings to display the raw file but they are not "baked into" the file. You can change any of the setting before you export the file, with no effect on the raw file. The only effect is that the program will use the final settings to create the exported jpeg or tiff.

Regardless of this finer point, the question was whether changing jpeg settings for saturation, sharpness, contrast and hue affect write speed to the memory card. Changing these settings will not affect performance.

In my opinion AFC hold off. if it is On you will hold the background 90% of times.
That's why I added this warning: "make sure focus is on the target before shooting, or you'll have a string of misses".

In AF-C mode, continuous burst, Expanded Area select point, shutter half-press, the camera will look for focus using the selected point first. If you trip the shutter while it is locked on this point, tracking will begin. If you do not take the shot when the camera has found focus on the initial point, the camera's programming will assume that that was not your intended target, and begin illuminating points around the initial focus point. Whatever it is locked on when you take the first shot will be tracked. That's why you must ensure that focus is on the target and not on the background for the first shot of your burst.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-21-2017 at 12:38 PM.
11-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dan
Did you try to take some pictures raw files with and without On camera NR. ? Please test it yourself. You will be surprise.
Is it mandatory to do tracking with half shuter or it is posible with af button?
11-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dan
Did you try to take some pictures raw files with and without On camera NR. ? Please test it yourself. You will be surprise.
Is it mandatory to do tracking with half shuter or it is posible with af button?
Which raw software are you using? NR is not read in Lightroom or DXO Optic 11, which are the two convertors I use. NR was read when I was using Silkypix, but not applied to the raw file. NR is only applied to the displayed image and incorporated in the final jpeg.

9) High ISO Noise Reduction

Unlike long exposure noise reduction, this setting does nothing for RAW photos. Whether you set it or not, the RAW photo will be exactly the same. (Again, like Picture Control settings, the photo on the back of your camera screen will look different. Still, that is just a preview of your final photo, not the RAW data itself.)

Which Camera Settings Affect RAW Photos?

Back-button AF works the same as shutter half-press. You would hold the AF button down to start focussing, press the shutter release immediately when the active point is focussed on your subject, keep the back button depressed throughout the burst.

Half-press is more comfortable and intuitive for me than back-button focus.