Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

10D Default or custom settings?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but is there a general consensus as to what changes from the default settings work best with the 10D? Does it vary from lens to lens? Will the camera remember changes and implement them based on the lens that you are using? (Took a quick scan through some threads but did not find anything specifically answering these questions...)
Thx in advance...

08-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You should try to elaborate a little bit. Are meaning changes re. picture quality or camera operation. Not knowing what you really want can lead to a lot of guesswork, and all of it might be beside what you want to know.
08-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
I'm sure this has been discussed before but is there a general consensus as to what changes from the default settings work best with the 10D? Does it vary from lens to lens? Will the camera remember changes and implement them based on the lens that you are using? (Took a quick scan through some threads but did not find anything specifically answering these questions...)
Thx in advance...
It depends on the results you want vs. the results you are getting. As an example, if you are consistently sharpening your images in post processing, then consider bumping the sharpness a notch in camera to eliminate some of that work.
08-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It depends on the results you want vs. the results you are getting. As an example, if you are consistently sharpening your images in post processing, then consider bumping the sharpness a notch in camera to eliminate some of that work.
Just wondering I guess if there in a consensus that the 10 D requires adjustments to the sharpness, contrast, over/under exposure etc. I see some of the fantastic shots taken by people that know these bodies and lenses and wonder if there are any commonly felt "tweaks" that should be done? (Re post processing, I haven't done any of that yet, with the exception of cropping...)

08-28-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When it comes to sharpness, contrast... and so on, those adjustment are only applied to JPEG, not RAW. Pentax Photo Browser and Pentax Photo Lab will recognize those adjutment and post the pictures accordingly, but only as a starting point. All other Raw processor (as far as I know) don't recognize those adjustments, so you get the data directly as seen by the sensor. If you shoot JPEG, then just adjust them to your liking. Everybody has different liking, that's why those adjustments are there.
08-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wondering I guess if there in a consensus that the 10 D requires adjustments to the sharpness, contrast, over/under exposure etc. I see some of the fantastic shots taken by people that know these bodies and lenses and wonder if there are any commonly felt "tweaks" that should be done? (Re post processing, I haven't done any of that yet, with the exception of cropping...)
Flyer is right in his observations.
Often RAW editors do have camera, user and/or lens profiles (Bibble / Lightroom) which helps you to correct the photo.
The camera and lens profiles differ in that respect that lens profiles normally effect parameters like distortion correction, vignetting correction, fringing correction and the likes.

There has been a LOT of critics on the K10D JPEG output.
Shooting RAW and using a non Pentax PP tool will correct this for you. Remember, SD cards are cheap these days, so there is no reason not to take the advantages of shooting RAW anymore.

- Bert
08-28-2008, 04:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My K10D is set at default, and i usually find i need +0.3 EV on about 80% of my photos. Some say they need 0 and some say they need more. Depends i suppose on what you shoot.

I have no complaints about the incamera default jpg sharpness of my photos. Many times i will print out a photo and realize i did not apply PS sharpening, but when io look at it they are fine.

Dave

08-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Flyer is right in his observations.
Often RAW editors do have camera, user and/or lens profiles (Bibble / Lightroom) which helps you to correct the photo.
The camera and lens profiles differ in that respect that lens profiles normally effect parameters like distortion correction, vignetting correction, fringing correction and the likes.

There has been a LOT of critics on the K10D JPEG output.
Shooting RAW and using a non Pentax PP tool will correct this for you. Remember, SD cards are cheap these days, so there is no reason not to take the advantages of shooting RAW anymore.

- Bert
Thx for the insight all. Although I have yet to do any editing, I have been saving copies of any potentially good shots in RAW as well, in anticipation of the next step, and will continue doing so (at which point I will review the threads to determine the best software editing recommendations...)
thx