Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

Recommended backup body

Hi, I am looking for a backup body to complement my K3. Secondhand bodies currently in my price range are the k5iis, ks2, k3 or k70. Which would you recommend?
It will be used mainly for hiking, landscape and travel.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, thanks

11-24-2017, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you got the K-70 you'd probably want to make it your main body for the IQ. But in any case go for that or a second K-3, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-24-2017, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any back up is better than no backup. But if you have a choice, and it's truly a backup, another K-3 makes the most sense because if you need to grab it, everything is where you expect it to be and the sensor will match your primary K-3.

If price wasn't a factor, I'd suggest getting a KP and then using your K-3 as the back up.
11-24-2017, 11:33 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you got the K-70 you'd probably want to make it your main body for the IQ. But in any case go for that or a second K-3, IMO.
+1 with Adam.
A second K-3 would be the ideal setup IMHO. You could mount different lenses on both K3s, and interchange them (rather than change lenses). Using two identical bodies does reduce the risk of errors IMO.
I have to admit that my backup is my old K-7. Thankfully the setup is close to the K-3 (same body structure). But I ted to use different settings to compensate for the lower ISO (especially) and resolution of the K-7.
My 5 cents.

11-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
Any thoughts greatly appreciated, thanks
Get a K3. I have K1 and picked up a K5IIs as back up. I regret doing that because the camera is so slow compared to K1. I should have picked up a K3 which is much faster in every respect. BTW, I previously owned both K5IIs and K3. Image quality of the K5IIs is fantastic but the camera is so slow and not in the same league as the K3. If I had the budget, I would pick up a KP as Alex645 suggested.
11-25-2017, 12:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
Recommended backup body
have you thought about getting backup lenses in case some lenses would fail?
11-25-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K3 if you don't want to hunt for dials, buttons etc.

K70 if you want a lightweight camera with excellent image quality.

11-25-2017, 02:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
have you thought about getting backup lenses in case some lenses would fail?
Not sure if you're being serious, but I believe the OP has mostly primes and a zoom that covers the entire range of those primes. From experience, I've had a couple zooms "fail", but (knock on wood), never a prime. And in a pinch, the OP can use a shorter focal length and crop.

Also getting a back up Pentax lens in Osaka isn't a problem as it might be in Vienna or Honolulu.
11-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

As I never sell anything my back-up is always my old camera. I even have a back up for that one. the one before. From the Camera's you mention the K-70 is the best choice, but you run the risk you'll not want to use the K-3 any more. So instead get a K-1 and use the K-3 as your back-up .
11-25-2017, 04:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Not sure if you're being serious
Yes I am being serious. Lenses can fail as much as camera bodies and perhaps anything with motion of mechanical parts could fail over time. Camera electronics can fail from mechanical stress as well while typically electronic components are qualified to last at least 11 years (according to standards), except non volatile memory that is rate with number of R/W cycles.

---------- Post added 25-11-17 at 12:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Also getting a back up Pentax lens in Osaka isn't a problem as it might be in Vienna or Honolulu.
Yes, I agree. Although I found Pentax products to be well present in Vienna.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-25-2017 at 04:12 AM.
11-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
As I never sell anything my back-up is always my old camera. I even have a back up for that one. the one before. From the Camera's you mention the K-70 is the best choice, but you run the risk you'll not want to use the K-3 any more. So instead get a K-1 and use the K-3 as your back-up .
Read the original post, please. K-1 is not in OP's price range.
11-25-2017, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. I am going to keep my eyes open for a secondhand K70. Second hand models are getting more common here, and coming down in price. I am looking forward to seeing the IQ and having a play with a new camera. Plus being slightly smaller and lighter will be beneficial for hiking. Thanks again for your help!
11-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes I am being serious
Yes I am being serious. Lenses can fail as much as camera bodies and perhaps anything with motion of mechanical parts could fail over time. Camera electronics can fail from mechanical stress as well while typically electronic components are qualified to last at least 11 years (according to standards), except non volatile memory that is rate with number of R/W cycles.
My experience: Camera bodies, K-10D, K-5 and K-3, no failures all of them work as good as they always did. Lenses: HD DA40 Limited, failed, repaired under extended warranty, DA 17-70, SDM motor failed just too expensive to repair and manual focus it too tedious to be useful with this lens. You have a point here, lenses can fail.
Regarding the original post, the K-5 is my backup to the K-3 but at some point I would like to replace the K-5 with something newer and able to use KAF4 lenses and the K-3 would be the backup to that. I have passed the K-10D on to my son.
My two cents of thought, a second K-3 would make sense to me if you have a mix of large, heavy lenses and small light primes. Two K-3 bodies, one with grip, and large lenses, and one, no grip with small primes and all use the same batteries.

Last edited by jddwoods; 11-25-2017 at 06:48 AM.
11-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Lenses: HD DA40 Limited, failed, repaired under extended warranty, DA 17-70, SDM motor failed
Exactly the same for me: same bodies, same lenses, same lens failures :-)
11-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Currently I use a K3, with my K10D as a backup. Down the road, I'd like to get a K70, and use the K3 as backup.

As far as backup lenses, in case of failure, I think most of us have other lenses that would get us thru losing one. If you don't have a backup body, and experience a failure, dropping it, etc., then what good are all the lenses in the world?